[comp.sys.amiga] AZComm

martens@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (11/19/90)

In this month's Amiga World, there's a characteristically shallow
review of telecommunications software.  Being a long-time Online user,
and looking for something better (and within a grad student's budget),
I thought I'd like to take a look at one of the PD packages mentioned:
AZComm.  But it's not listed on my list of fish disks through 294.  Is
it available via ftp somewhere?  Does anyone have a strong opinion on
it, one way or the other?  Thanks.
--
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

		Any sufficiently advanced technology is
		indistinguishable from a well-rigged demo.

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (11/20/90)

In article <86045@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>In this month's Amiga World, there's a characteristically shallow
>review of telecommunications software.  Being a long-time Online user,
>and looking for something better (and within a grad student's budget),
>I thought I'd like to take a look at one of the PD packages mentioned:
>AZComm.  But it's not listed on my list of fish disks through 294.  Is
>it available via ftp somewhere?  Does anyone have a strong opinion on
>it, one way or the other?  Thanks.
>--
>-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)
>
>		Any sufficiently advanced technology is
>		indistinguishable from a well-rigged demo.

As the author of that "characteristically shallow" review I'd like to
thank you for that incisive piece of literary criticism.

Given Amiga World's deadline restraints and an 1800 word limit, I've love
to see what you, Jeff, could come up with in the way of a comparative
review of those same ten terminal programs, a review which would meet
your own criteria of "unshallowness" while still attempting to
cover all the bases and be understood by novices.  Oh, and make a
two page chart too, while you're at it.

I won't apologize at all for the content of my article except to
Willy Langeveld for not having enough room to add VLT to the list of
programs discussed.

Now as to AZComm, as my shallow article revealed, it's a minimally
revamped version of Dan James' Comm 1.34 with Zmodem and a c.p.s.
counter added. Comm 1.34 is on a Fish disk.  If you've seen Comm
then, except for the Zmodem, you've seen AZComm.  Neither of them will
do as many things as Online!Platinum will. AZcomm's Zmodem is much
faster than Online!Platinum's.

You can download AZComm from People/Link where it's been for a couple
years, or off most any Amiga-oriented BBS.  When someone sends it to
Fred, then it'll be on a Fish disk.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

myb100@csc.anu.oz.au (11/21/90)

In article <5741@crash.cts.com>, hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
> In article <86045@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

[Jeff's criticism of AWorld article deleted..]
>>I thought I'd like to take a look at one of the PD packages mentioned:
>>AZComm.  But it's not listed on my list of fish disks through 294.
>>-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

[Harv's response to his critic deleted....]
> Now as to AZComm, as my shallow article revealed, it's a minimally
> revamped version of Dan James' Comm 1.34 with Zmodem and a c.p.s.
> counter added. Comm 1.34 is on a Fish disk.  If you've seen Comm
> then, except for the Zmodem, you've seen AZComm.

AZComm is on Fish Disk # 171
Comm 1.34 (Source) is on Fish Disk # 75
Comm 1.34 (Binary) is on Fish Disk # 71

I haven't used either though.....

> Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
> "Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV
 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank

davego@polari.UUCP (dave oliphant) (11/22/90)

In article <5741@crash.cts.com>, hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
> In article <86045@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> >
> >In this month's Amiga World, there's a characteristically shallow
> >review of telecommunications software.  Being a long-time Online user,
> >and looking for something better (and within a grad student's budget),

stuff deleted

> As the author of that "characteristically shallow" review I'd like to
> thank you for that incisive piece of literary criticism.

more stuff deleted

> I won't apologize at all for the content of my article except to
> Willy Langeveld for not having enough room to add VLT to the list of
> programs discussed.

some more stuff deleted

We can only hope that Amiga World will swell in size as MacWorld has done.  But I digress.  I have a question for all the experts out there:  How do I increase the buffer size in VLT so that when I am capturing a session or downloading a file, the buffer will only dump to disk when it is 16384 bytes full instead of the paltry 2048 bytes at present.  At 2400 baud and 2048 bytes, the disk is constantly grinding.  I have an amiga 1010, the noisy one.  If I could figure this and other things out about VLT, I p

robably would use it, since it has scripting and Arexx, while JRCOMM does not.  I am using JRCOMM right now.

Another related problem.  I have the commercial version of BaudBandit, and I think it is great.  Very powerful for a small package.  However, I am unable to upload using zmodem.  When I attempt it, the send and receive data lights on my modem (a baudbandit MNP level 5 modem) go crazy ala dueling banjos and I am unable to exit zmodem.  I can still click out of baudbandit and do other things, but the serial port and bbs'ing are gone.  I have to reboot.  Anybody have any ideas on this matter.

You can e-mail me or post to comp.sys.amiga, as I read it regularly.

no .sig yet.  I just learned how to post to the net.  As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!