[comp.sys.amiga] Peculiarities with Hard Drive on Power-Up...

culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) (11/20/90)

I have an Amiga 2000HD (2091 controller, 40MB Quantum), and lately I have
been experiencing something strange.  Occasionally (ie: every 5 or 6 cold
boots) the hard disk takes over 120 seconds to validate (normally takes
less than 30 seconds) ... the disk light just goes wild for what seems
like forever.

Has anybody else out there experienced this kind of behavior, or have a
clue of what may be going on?  Should I be concerned at this point?

Thanks for any e-mail or general postings to the net.

sean.
 _ /-_
(_)>(_)   sean.  (culhane@vis.toronto.edu)

kinks@brahms.udel.edu (Karl E Aldinger) (11/22/90)

In article <90Nov19.224036est.8719@orasis.vis.toronto.edu> culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) writes:
>I have an Amiga 2000HD (2091 controller, 40MB Quantum), and lately I have
>been experiencing something strange.  Occasionally (ie: every 5 or 6 cold
>boots) the hard disk takes over 120 seconds to validate (normally takes
>less than 30 seconds) ... the disk light just goes wild for what seems
>like forever.

I've experienced the same problem when turning off the computer right after
quitting an application.  Some programs (like Prefs for example) open a file
upon running, and close the file upon quitting (5 seconds after
quitting, on prefs.)  If you shut down without closing, or without letting
the save finish, after closing, your disk will not be content with itself
on startup, thus a full, slow validation.  Try narrowing it down, to see
if the problem only happens after the use of a certain program.  It may have
a bug.

						Karl Aldinger