[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 vs n*xt...but I'm sooo poor!

sl195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) (11/20/90)

All of this comparison between the n*xt and the Amiga 3000 is getting
old.   I guess that's because I've very little money, in school, married,
and have no financial aid wich leads to my having "only" a
A500. However, I am ****VERY**** pleased with the machine.  The n*xt
and the Amiga 3000 are both very nice machines in their own respect
but they are terribly pricy for most people.  Most of my friends
and family would like to get a computer, but the A500 is about all
that they could afford.

I know that this is not the real issue being discussed, but still,
most people can't fork out $4000+ for a machine it seems...

Loving life under the sun of my '500

tzm

BTW...The 3000 is still my favourite of the two...

--

All comments are my own, and many must be taken with a :-)
=============================++++++++++++++++++++=============================

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (11/21/90)

In a previous article, sl195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) says:

>All of this comparison between the n*xt and the Amiga 3000 is getting
>old.   I guess that's because I've very little money, in school, married,
>and have no financial aid wich leads to my having "only" a
>A500. However, I am ****VERY**** pleased with the machine.  The n*xt
>and the Amiga 3000 are both very nice machines in their own respect

I agree, both the N*XT and Amiga 3000 are great machines and I'm actually
impressed with how little comparison there was between the two machines on
comp.sys.amiga.  If anyone has been on comp.sys.mac.misc in the last month
you would have seen a L-O-N-G thread called "Not another N*XT Defector".
There were so many posts it seemed as if the number of Mac users would shrink
to zero overnight. And people say Amiga users are paranoid :)

>BTW...The 3000 is still my favourite of the two...

Mine too!!!

>--
>
>All comments are my own, and many must be taken with a :-)
>=============================++++++++++++++++++++=============================
>| Demetrios Triandafilakos  | James Knowles     | "Remember, always remember,|
>| Shire of Cote du Ciel     | BITNET: SL195@USU |  my son -- a banana is not |
>| Principality of Artemesia | INTERNET:         |  a toy."                   |
>| Kingdom of Atenvelt       |  sl195@cc.usu.edu |          - The Wise Guru   |
>=============================++++++++++++++++++++=============================
>    Be all that you can be - see your local SCA Knight Marshal now.

--
                                           ///
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |       ///  /\

a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) (11/21/90)

> mr3@ukc.ac.uk writes:
>         [...]
> I think that if Commodore price the Unix machines just right, they might
> just manage to start getting _people_ to buy them instead of just firms
> and institutes. This would help to increase public awareness of UNIX
> and (hopefully) eventually lead to the ultimate destruction of MessyDos.
>
> >BTW...The 3000 is still my favourite of the two...
>
> Of course !!!
>
> MiKe
>
> Sorry, I'm new to csa and haven't got down to writing a footer yet!

From my experience, a market is created and/or acquired: you "buy" it either
with enthusiasm and/or money.  If what you're selling is so desparately
desired, then prices can go to up considerably.  If competition is keen then
you have to buy your way into the market: loss-leaders, promotions, rebates,
kickbacks, ad nosium.  As Apple and Commodore (C64, et al) found out, once you
have the installed base, people keep coming back and product recognition
increases dramatically. Elsewise a small market segment capture results
typically.  Look at what is happening with Mac' and Next prices.  Look at the
behind-the-scenes activity that caused Lotus to develop for the Next.  Of
course it depends on how aggresive Commodore-Amiga wants to be: if
the egotists at the very top really want a rush, do whatever is necessary to
get one of there "babies" in to every home, school, R&D, D&D and commerce
centers, and then go around saying "see what we did." ... and in the mean time,
they'd have benefited a lot of people.  Gee, is that a "win-win"?

mr3@ukc.ac.uk (M.Rizzo) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov19.115551.42706@cc.usu.edu> sl195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) writes:
>All of this comparison between the n*xt and the Amiga 3000 is getting
>old.   I guess that's because I've very little money, in school, married,
>and have no financial aid wich leads to my having "only" a
>A500. However, I am ****VERY**** pleased with the machine.  The n*xt
>and the Amiga 3000 are both very nice machines in their own respect
>but they are terribly pricy for most people.  Most of my friends
>and family would like to get a computer, but the A500 is about all
>that they could afford.
>
>I know that this is not the real issue being discussed, but still,
>most people can't fork out $4000+ for a machine it seems...

I guess the A3000 is way out of reach for some people. However, it is
not impossible for single people with a fairly decent job to get one.
I am particularly thinking of students just finishing their CS degree and
moving on to their first job - it would be great to have UNIX at home.