[comp.sys.amiga] Where are the Virginia Tech

cs472119@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs472119) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.195522.7758@csmil.umich.edu> chymes@zurich.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:

>Why are there no messages from all the A3000UX owners in Virginia?
>
>---  Hey Baby, whats the Deal?  --- ZZ
>
>Charlweed Hymerfan

Different schools have different philosophies.  Think for a second.
Would you require students to purchase A3000UX's if you were u were
willing to give them unix accounts on machines that might be connected
to the net?  I think not.  Here, we don't buy computers, the school
provides us with Ultrix accounts, which ARE on the net.

_Larry

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.195522.7758@csmil.umich.edu> chymes@zurich.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:

>Why are there no messages from all the A3000UX owners in Virginia?
>
>Charlweed Hymerfan
	They may not have connections to the net.  Last summer a guy I worked with
was a student there (Pre-amiga... had a MacII running AUX) and had never
heard of Usenet.

--
  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic.c
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Shannon Lawson) (11/22/90)

Charles Hymes writes:

> Why are there no messages from all the A3000UX owners in Virginia?
> ---  Hey Baby, whats the Deal?  --- ZZ
> Charlweed Hymerfan

The deal is this:

1) Virginia's state budget is tight right now.
2) Net time costs money.

Therefore:
3) Freshmen generally do not get Net access.

I get the CSA feed from udel, which floods my mailbox with 200+ messages per
day, I guess.  After reading the ones that interest me, I don't have much to
say.  Anything in particular you would like to know about?

I can tell you that the Computer Science department is pleased with their
choice for a Unix platform.  Some of the less experienced students are
frustrated by having to learn Unix as a first OS, but beyond that, things are
going quite well.  We've started a user's group which meets twice a month
(what can I say? we're enthusiastic).  We have a couple of AmigaDOS gurus
(students) down here who are showing off the native capabilities of our
favorite computer.

I've been an Amiga kinda guy since '85, so naturally, I'm loving this job!
It was nice to be in AmigaWorld!  Any other mags want to do articles on us?
(Hint)

--
  Shannon Lawson
  Senior, Computer Engineering

  Amiga Consultant
  Department of Computer Science
  Virginia Polytechnic Institute    INTERNET:  lawsons@csgrad.cs.vt.edu
    & State University

Disclaimer:  Nobody believes a word I say anyway.  Why should you?