[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga ad on TV

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (11/21/90)

Well, tonight I saw an Amiga ad on TV.  It was during Star Trek: The
Next Generation (the local station, WDCA, runs earlier seasons' reruns
on weeknights).

If you remember one of the old C64 TV ads, where a young fellow is
interviewing for a job and talking about his high scores on video games
as qualification for a computer job, this ad made me think of that one.
It was definitely promoting the A500 as a smarter alternative to a Nintendo.
And a splendid alternative it makes, I have no argument there.  And I
guess if that old C64 ad worked, this one may work too.  It even used
the same music and announcer.

Well (sigh) I guess I see where the Amiga is going to end up...
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

oleg@crash.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) (11/22/90)

In article <23409@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>Well, tonight I saw an Amiga ad on TV.  It was during Star Trek: The

>If you remember one of the old C64 TV ads, where a young fellow is
>interviewing for a job and talking about his high scores on video games
>as qualification for a computer job, this ad made me think of that one.
>It was definitely promoting the A500 as a smarter alternative to a Nintendo.
>And a splendid alternative it makes, I have no argument there.  And I
>guess if that old C64 ad worked, this one may work too.  It even used
>the same music and announcer.
>
>Well (sigh) I guess I see where the Amiga is going to end up...
[some stuff and .sig skipped]

Where the Amiga is going to end up? The best selling personal computer
of all time (that's where C-64 ended up)?

Heck, if C-A can sell millions of A500s, perhaps that new '040 machine
will be out just a bit sooner, and software companies will put out
just a few more applications, and there'll be a few more peripherals
out, and...

Regards,
 OR

YOU'RE GOING BACK TO MISSOULA, MONTANA! -Leland Palmer, doin' the BOB thing.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (11/23/90)

In article <5799@crash.cts.com> oleg@crash.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) writes:
>In article <23409@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>[some stuff and .sig skipped]
>>Well (sigh) I guess I see where the Amiga is going to end up...
>
>Where the Amiga is going to end up? The best selling personal computer
>of all time (that's where C-64 ended up)?

That should be a particularly attractive possibility to Commodore...

>Heck, if C-A can sell millions of A500s, perhaps that new '040 machine
>will be out just a bit sooner, and software companies will put out
>just a few more applications, and there'll be a few more peripherals
>out, and...

If you think about it, if the Amiga remains a home computer, there
no incentive to create high-end machines.  Because too few homeowners
would be able to afford it to justify Commodore's effort to market
them. Only a business with a job to do can justify spending large sums
on powerful equipment, because that expense is directly returned in
increased productivity, etc.  No such rationale exists for a homeowner.