[comp.sys.amiga] SPICE

nemisis@blake.acs.washington.edu (Karen McElroy) (03/03/90)

Where can I get an amiga version of spice? (FTP ADDRESS)

rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org (Don Rumford) (03/06/90)

> Where can I get an amiga version of spice? (FTP ADDRESS)
Karen,
        The Amiga version of Spice is called Aspice and is on Fred Fish disk 177.  You should be able to pick it up from one of your local Amiga users groups or any store carrying Fish disks.  You will need at least 1.5mb of ram to run it and it only supports the 68000, no 020s or 030s.

                                                              -Don-

--

Don Rumford - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!rumford

sutton@racketball.cis.ohio-state.edu (roy a sutton) (03/07/90)

In article <164.25F35E49@afitamy.fidonet.org> rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org (Don Rumford) writes:
>> Where can I get an amiga version of spice? (FTP ADDRESS)
>Karen,
>        The Amiga version of Spice is called Aspice and is on Fred Fish disk 177.  You should be able to pick it up from one of your local Amiga users groups or any store carrying Fish disks.  You will need at least 1.5mb of ram to run it and it only supports the 68000, no 020s or 030s.
>                                                              -Don-

Is this true? Will Aspice only run on a 68000? If this is true, why?
What about the 68010?

Roy Sutton

perley@trub.crd.ge.com (Donald P Perley) (03/07/90)

In article <77958@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> roy a sutton <sutton@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <164.25F35E49@afitamy.fidonet.org> rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org (Don Rumford) writes:
>>> Where can I get an amiga version of spice? (FTP ADDRESS)
>>Karen,
>>        The Amiga version of Spice is called Aspice and is on Fred Fish disk 177.  You should be able to pick it up from one of your local Amiga users groups or any store carrying Fish disks.  You will need at least 1.5mb of ram to run it and it only sup
>ports the 68000, no 020s or 030s.
>>                                                              -Don-
>
>Is this true? Will Aspice only run on a 68000? If this is true, why?
>What about the 68010?

I think he means that it doesn't use any instructions not on the 68000.
Any 680x0 SHOULD be ok, but it won't use floating point processors, etc.

Unless, of course, it uses that one nasty instruction that you need decigel
for.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

mikew@frodo.uucp (03/08/90)

>In article <164.25F35E49@afitamy.fidonet.org> rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org (Don Rumford) writes:
>>> Where can I get an amiga version of spice? (FTP ADDRESS)

Boy do I feel stupid. What is spice?

------------------------------------
Mike Wooten

IBM Adv Workstation Development
INTERNET:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!frodo.austin.ibm.com!mikew

rang@ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) (03/10/90)

In article <3150@d75.UUCP> mikew@reed.UUCP () writes:
>Boy do I feel stupid. What is spice?

	I don't really know about this myself and this posting is really a
chance to solicit info. from people out there in the industry, being I most
likely will do research in hardware.

	From what I can guess, Spice is a language/file format for describing
low level hardware designs, i.e. down to the logic gate or transistor level.
I have gotten to play around in a couple of CAD labs (one, Mac II's running
DesignWorks; the other, Suns using GDT) and both support writing Spice files,
so I assume use of Spice is pretty widespread.

	Now for a few technical questions.  Are ASpice files usable by GDT?  I
don't mind too much writing small modules in L language, is Spice similar to
it?   Also, if anyone can correct or expand on any of the above, please feel
free.

                                        Roger P. Ang (rang@ICS.UCI.EDU)
Irvine? Where's Irvine?                 a poor Grad student at the
In the heart of the Orange Curtain.     Dept. of Information & Computer Sci.
Oh no! The poor fool.                   Univ. of California, Irvine.

perley@hobbes (Donald P Perley) (03/13/90)

In article <25F80873.10601@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rang@ics (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
>In article <3150@d75.UUCP> mikew@reed.UUCP () writes:
>>Boy do I feel stupid. What is spice?
>

>	From what I can guess, Spice is a language/file format for describing
>low level hardware designs, i.e. down to the logic gate or transistor level.

Spice is an analog circuit simulator.  There is a PD version floating around
for the amiga.  There are some enhanced commercial versions like HSPICE from
meta-software, but I don't know of any commercial ones on amiga.

A lot of cad packages can either read or write spice files, so it is sometimes
used as an interchange file format (what EDIF is supposed to be) between, say,
schematic capture and the DRACULA layout analysis program.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

4224_5206@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/23/90)

	A couple of weeks back someone was asking what to do for thier senior
research project, well I have an idea.  Why not do a whiz bang implimentation
of SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis).  The original
FORTRAN (yea, I know, yuch) source code is available (for free?) from U of C
(Berkley).

	My Idea is to have it implimented on the Amiga, making full use of the
operating system and useOCr interface in addition to throwing in some nice
bells and whistles.  The original program does not have circuit (screen
oriented) editor or the ability to render graphs (I may be wrong), but most
of the grunt work has been done.  The only thing missing is the user interface.
As it stands now, the program accepts text input in order to define the
circuit and operating characteristics of the components, and create a file of
numbers for a post processor to the actual screen or hardcopy rendering of the
graphs.

	The only implimentation with which I am personally familiar is
MicroCAP II, student version for the MS/PC-DOS machines.  Its an OK, certainly
not fantastic, compiled basic implimentation, but suffers from a poor user
interface.  This is a great program for checking out ideas without having to
wire-up a circuit and scoping it.

	IEEE Spectrum has an overveiw of several circuit simulators for
different enviroments (PC's to mini's) but no Amiga ...  :(
This definately should change!    :)

	I think that the source is available from:

	The University of California
	Berkley, California

	(I'm sorry that I can't give a more complete address)

PS:	Yes, I know that there is a PD version somewhere on FF, but I am hoping
	to generate some interest.

Andy Nagy(student) ,The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
USENET: 4224_5206@hydra.uwo.ca (I think)

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (11/23/90)

In article <7848.274c0a04@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4224_5206@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>	A couple of weeks back someone was asking what to do for thier senior
>research project, well I have an idea.  Why not do a whiz bang implimentation
>of SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis).  The original
>FORTRAN (yea, I know, yuch) source code is available (for free?) from U of C
>(Berkley).

	There is a version of Spice (3C1) written in C that runs over
	Unix or MSDOS.  3C1 would be a better starting point for an Amiga
	port than the older Fortran versions, eg 2G6.  3C1 also has a
	rather nifty display program called nutmeg - a vast improvement
	over the line printer graphics 2G6 provided.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar

hamilton@intersil.uucp (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov23.035020.8041@ameristar>, rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) writes:

> 	There is a version of Spice (3C1) written in C that runs over
> 	Unix or MSDOS.  3C1 would be a better starting point for an Amiga
> 	port than the older Fortran versions, eg 2G6.  3C1 also has a
> 	rather nifty display program called nutmeg - a vast improvement
> 	over the line printer graphics 2G6 provided.
>
> 					Rick Spanbauer
> 					Ameristar

Do you have any idea where I could find the source?
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (11/24/90)

In article <7848.274c0a04@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4224_5206@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>	A couple of weeks back someone was asking what to do for thier senior
>research project, well I have an idea.  Why not do a whiz bang implimentation
>of SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis).  The original
>FORTRAN (yea, I know, yuch) source code is available (for free?) from U of C
>(Berkley).
>
>	My Idea is to have it implimented on the Amiga, making full use of the
>operating system and useOCr interface in addition to throwing in some nice
>bells and whistles.  The original program does not have circuit (screen
>oriented) editor or the ability to render graphs (I may be wrong), but most
>of the grunt work has been done. The only thing missing is the user interface.

     Uh...  Hold on.  Have you seen IntuoSoft Spice (by IntuoSoft, duh).  I
really like what they did.  IntuoSoft Spice has a graphic preprocessor, you
build the circuit by selecting the components you want from a menu, and the
preprocessor writes a Spice version 2 compatible input file.  There are
several advantages to using a preprocessor, you don't have to mess with the
Spice source at all (not something to be doing unless you are a Numerical
Analylist AND an Electrical Engineer), the executable will be smaller
(something to think about on small systems), and you can STILL run the Spice
text file on any Spice version 2 system if you need more power.

>As it stands now, the program accepts text input in order to define the
>circuit and operating characteristics of the components, and create a file of
>numbers for a post processor to the actual screen or hardcopy rendering of the
>graphs.

     IntuoSoft Spice also includes a graphical postprocessor to plot Spice
version 2 output files.  The advantages of a graphical postprocessor are more
or less the same as the advantages of a preprocessor.  For instance, Spice
output from a mainframe can be plotted (not just Amiga Spice output).  (I
started on one myself but I didn't get very far...)

     The preprocessor and postprocessor could communicate between each other
with Arexx ports or you could extend the Spice instruction set by adding
additional cards using the Spice remark specifier '*' (again, like IntuoSoft
Spice), for instance *plot.  I've thought about this alot, maybe I should pick
the project up again...  I hope this doesn't sound like a huge add, I don't
work for IntuoSoft.
                                            --George

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (11/24/90)

>In article <1990Nov23.035020.8041@ameristar>, rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) writes:
>
> 	There is a version of Spice (3C1) written in C that runs over
> 	Unix or MSDOS.  3C1 would be a better starting point for an Amiga
> 	port than the older Fortran versions, eg 2G6.  3C1 also has a
> 	rather nifty display program called nutmeg - a vast improvement
> 	over the line printer graphics 2G6 provided.
>
> 					Rick Spanbauer
> 					Ameristar

     I'd like to ask a favor of anyone that undertakes the project of
converting this (or even version 2G6, the Fortran version), could you please
relase a version compiled with the coprocessor options TURNED ON!  Please??
Actually, what would probably be better, more in the spirit of Amiga
programming anyway, would be to compile it under 2.0 using the new 2.0 math
library; it automatically selects the coprocessor for floating point math if
one is available.  I don't think this route would be usefull to people until
everyone is running 2.0, but neither is the option with inline coprocessor
code (unless you have a coprocessor).

                                        --George

sjorr@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Stephen Orr) (11/25/90)

>     I'd like to ask a favor of anyone that undertakes the project of
>converting this (or even version 2G6, the Fortran version), could you please
>relase a version compiled with the coprocessor options TURNED ON!  Please??
>Actually, what would probably be better, more in the spirit of Amiga
>programming anyway, would be to compile it under 2.0 using the new 2.0 math
>library; it automatically selects the coprocessor for floating point math if
>one is available.  I don't think this route would be usefull to people until
>everyone is running 2.0, but neither is the option with inline coprocessor
>code (unless you have a coprocessor).

The banner from my version of Spice says this:

AmigaSpice 5.0     (Spice 2G.6)

This Program is Public Domain

 Usage:
 SPICE i/o_file

                     Input file assumed to be: i/o_file.INP
                          Output file will be: i/o_file.OUT

The program IS written in 'C' (so the conversion has been done) and for
those of you who don't already know it, auto detection and support of
a math co-processor, was include in 1.3, as is evidenced by the VAST speed
increase of this version of SPICE on my 2630 (6x faster). A second version
with inline 881/882 code would be nice because we might then get to the
8x or even 10x faster mark. Also, as I have said before, there is a
program to plot SPICE files called SPlot, available via ftp at
sunne.waterloo.cs (I think). It should soon include ARexx support for
full automation, at which point I would expect it to be posted to
c.binaries.amiga. This program also supports extra functionality not
found in SPICE like plotter output, arbitray zoom etc.

					Stephen