[comp.sys.amiga] VLT

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) (02/05/89)

I found VLT on ucbvax.berkeley.edu this summer.  With the graduation of
Matt Dillon - away it went.  It is back with a few of his programs (DME
1.35 in particular).  What happened to VLT?

BUT the question I would like to know is:

What is the status of VLT?  Has it been updated?

The version I have is 3.649

Thx in advance

(VLT is a VERY nice vt100/tek terminal program with
an Arexx port written at the Stanford Linear Accelerator
Center by Marvin Weinstein and Willy Langeveld for connection amigas up to
other computers particularly with the purpose of supporting TeX).

ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (02/07/89)

In article <778@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:

>What is the status of VLT?  Has it been updated?
>
>The version I have is 3.649

You have the most recent version of VLT, but not of rexxarplib.library,
in all probability.  The latter is what VLT's author has spent most
of his Amiga time on, of late.  The new version, 2.0, has many nice
new features and is considered to be "finished" unless someone has
a REALLY must-have feature.  You have the current version if it is
38760 bytes long.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (02/07/89)

In article <470@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@robin.csun.edu (Stephen R. Walton) writes:
)In article <778@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
)>
)>What is the status of VLT?  Has it been updated?
)>
)>The version I have is 3.649
)
)You have the most recent version of VLT ...

The version I have is 3.656.

--
-  It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be  -
-  coming up it.                                        -- Henry Allen  -

m230bw89@trillium.waterloo.edu (Scotte Zinn) (02/07/89)

Where can one obtain the latest copy of VLT?  Is it available thru FTP
somewhere?

--- Scotte Zinn
rszinn@rose.waterloo.edu or
m230bw89@trillium.waterloo.edu

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (02/08/89)

In article <470@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@robin.csun.edu (Stephen R. Walton) writes:
>In article <778@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
>>What is the status of VLT?  Has it been updated?
>>The version I have is 3.649

>You have the most recent version of VLT, but not of rexxarplib.library,

Actually, there are later versions of both VLT and rexxarplib.  Willy
Langeveld said (on BIX) that it probably wasn't worth getting
the new version of VLT if you didn't have trouble with the old one--it's
mostly just obscure bug fixes--so I haven't picked up the new one.
There's also a new rexxarplib (2.1 ??) which has some support for iff
files, using the German iff.library that's been making the rounds.  I
don't have it either, but it's out there somewhere...

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (02/08/89)

In article <11332@watdragon.waterloo.edu> m230bw89@trillium.waterloo.edu (Scotte Zinn) writes:
)
)Where can one obtain the latest copy of VLT?  Is it available thru FTP
)somewhere?

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

[Sorry about the outburst.]

I haven't done this because none of my sources have done it.  Jim Crotinger
and Maurice LeBrun are responsible for all the VLT stuff I've got.  Neither
has (apparently) offered it to comp.binaries.amiga.  Both apparently have
access to the net.  Is SOMETHING WRONG with making VLT public?  My impression
is that it is freely redistributable, but copywrited.  Someone let me know to
the contrary and I'll slam the door on this.  On the other hand, if no one
else can figure out, from the material I am now exposing to the PUBLIC, why
the VLT stuff shouldn't be sent to comp.binaries.amiga, then I suggest they
do it, or strongly suggest that I do it.

By virtue of enormous public pressure, I hereby make available by anonymous
ftp from gtss.gatech.edu (aka 128.61.4.1) a bunch of VLT related stuff.  When
you get in change directory to pub.  There there is a vlt directory,
containing vlt stuff (release 3.656).  There there is also a rexxarplib2.1
directory, containing version 2.1 of rexxarplib.  There there is also an
ifflib15.3 directory, containing version 15.3 of an iff library which
rexxarplib2.1 will use if the occasion arises (I haven't tried either
rexxaprlib2.1 or ifflib15.3).

I set all this up today, including anonymous ftp access to this system.
Let me know by mail if it doesn't work.  Also let me know if it shouldn't.
--

jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) (02/09/89)

In article <470@solaria.csun.edu>, ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
> In article <778@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
> >The version I have is 3.649
>
> You have the most recent version of VLT, but not of rexxarplib.library,
> in all probability.  The latter is what VLT's author has spent most
> of his Amiga time on, of late.  The new version, 2.0, has many nice
> new features and is considered to be "finished" unless someone has
> a REALLY must-have feature.  You have the current version if it is
> 38760 bytes long.
> --
> Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge

   Actually the latest version of VLT is 3.656 and the latest version of
rexxarplib.library is 2.1. RexxArpLib.library 2.1 is 42,256 bytes long.
I believe both are mostly minor bug fixes from the previous versions.
I think Willy is now working on some more improvements for VLT. He's
mentioned some planned improvements to both KERMIT and the scripting
language, the latter aimed at better AREXX support.

   Jim

--

                               Jim Crotinger
                               crotinger%mit.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa

In article <328@gtss.gatech.edu>, chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:

> I haven't done this because none of my sources have done it.  Jim Crotinger
> and Maurice LeBrun are responsible for all the VLT stuff I've got.  Neither
> has (apparently) offered it to comp.binaries.amiga.  Both apparently have
> access to the net.  Is SOMETHING WRONG with making VLT public?

  I'm sure that it is fine to post it to comp.binaries.amiga. I'm afraid that
that my access to the NET is not nearly as convenient as my access to MFENET,
so I haven't gotten around to posting it. (Not to mention that I'm somewhat
preoccupied tying up so minor details of my education (read: finishing my Ph.D.
thesis 8-) ). I don't know what Maurice's excuse is 8-)?

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) (02/25/89)

In article <95@ssibbs.UUCP>, jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) writes:
> In article <328@gtss.gatech.edu>, chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:
> >
> > I haven't done this because none of my sources have done it.  Jim Crotinger
> > and Maurice LeBrun are responsible for all the VLT stuff I've got.  Neither
> > has (apparently) offered it to comp.binaries.amiga.  Both apparently have
> > access to the net.  Is SOMETHING WRONG with making VLT public?
>
>   I'm sure that it is fine to post it to comp.binaries.amiga. I'm afraid that
> that my access to the NET is not nearly as convenient as my access to MFENET,
> so I haven't gotten around to posting it. (Not to mention that I'm somewhat
> preoccupied tying up so minor details of my education (read: finishing my Ph.D.
> thesis 8-) ). I don't know what Maurice's excuse is 8-)?

Yeah, us post-docs just sit around bullsh**ting all day long -- the
grunt work goes to the grad students, of course :-).

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I sort of get down when there's
500 messages to read..so I had a marathon session the other night and
got caught up.

I will send VLT and it's paraphernalia off to Bob Page when I get the
chance (we haven't heard from him for a while..but I dumped moria 3.0
on him a few weeks back and he's probably addicted by now :-).  Back
when VLT was originally requested (6 mos ago?) there were the problems
with binaries, plus I was pretty new to the net and didn't know my way
around.  Anyhow, the documentation accompanying VLT should probably
include at least the complete TeX sources, plus the stripped ascii
version.  Anyone see the need to distribute a .dvi file as well?
I don't think it's worth waiting for the next update, unless he's
getting really close (I'll give Willy a yell).

Maurice LeBrun		      | Confusion will be my epitaph,
Institute for Fusion Studies  | as I crawl a cracked and broken path
University of Texas at Austin | If we make it, we should all sit back and laugh
Internet:                     | But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying...
  mjl@fusion.ph.utexas.edu    |                 King Crimson

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (02/25/89)

In article <10755@ut-emx.UUCP> mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (Maurice LeBrun) writes:
)
[...]

It's been done.  I was wondering what the delay was, but your remarks
about Moria probably explain that.  However I didn't send the TeX documentation
only the .dvi file and an ASCII version of the docs, because I have never seen
the magic SLAC macros that are needed to use the TeX file.  If you have these
send them to Bob, and also to me, so that I can make my anonymous ftp VLT
collection complete.
--
-  It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be  -
-  coming up it.                                        -- Henry Allen  -
Charles Cleveland  Georgia Tech School of Physics  Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu

jtn@steven.COM (jtn) (08/30/89)

I'm trying to use VLT4.036 with (among others) DEC's TPU editor.
It works beautifully, except when I use the up-arrow to scroll text
down the screen, I only scroll about 6 lines and the rest of the
screen gets chewed up.  Is this a bug, or do I have something set
wrong?  What is prescroll, anyway?  Help would be appreciated.

--
>> Jim Newberry, Sierra Geophysics, Inc., PO 3886, Seattle, WA 98033
>> Phone: (206) 822-5200, uucp: ..!uw-beaver!sumax!ole!steven!jtn
>> "Frets ain't nuthin but speed bumps on a banjo..."  :-}

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (10/11/89)

If anyone has uuencoded binaries and docs for VLT (fishdisk 226) could you
send a copy to:
|Dennis Gorrie                                                          |
|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                                            |

nemisis@blake.acs.washington.edu (Karen McElroy) (03/14/90)

Where can I get the latest version of VLT? (FTP)

nemisis@blake.acs.washington.edu (Karen McElroy) (03/18/90)

I didn't get any response for my last post, so I'll post this question again:

Where (FTP?) can I get the latest version of VLT?

In <1990May8.161952.2322@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, kgs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Kok G Sang) writes:
>VLT is a really nice communications program.  The only gripe I have with it is
>that it doesn't have a phonebook directory.  Is there a hack or program that
>will let me dial in VLT?

You could probably implement it using ARexx. One way would be to have an ARexx
macro that would call up a file requester, presenting you with a list of named
files. Within each file would be the phone number, baud rate, and any other
settings you might want to use. Selecting a file by name, the macro would then
proceed to parse the file, setting VLT up, and dialling the modem. You could
build in virtually any other features you want, including auto-login,
auto-redial, dial from list, etc.

If I used VLT I would probbaly throw something like this together.

-larry

--
NeXT. The hardware makes it a PC. The software makes it a workstation.
      The units shipped makes it a mainframe.  -=stolen from Hazy=-

kgs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Kok G Sang) (05/08/90)

VLT is a really nice communications program.  The only gripe I have with it is
that it doesn't have a phonebook directory.  Is there a hack or program that
will let me dial in VLT?

Thanks!

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/10/90)

Can somebody with BIXmail access please email Willy Langeveld about VLT?
I am wondering when another release of VLT is pending, and if vt100
is going to be made rock solid?  So far, the only program that has
totally solid vt100 that I've found is Handshake, and it is not nearly
as feature laden as VLT.
			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (11/12/90)

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:

>Can somebody with BIXmail access please email Willy Langeveld about VLT?
>I am wondering when another release of VLT is pending, and if vt100
>is going to be made rock solid?  So far, the only program that has
>totally solid vt100 that I've found is Handshake, and it is not nearly
>as feature laden as VLT.

I post rather than E-Mail as others may be intersted in knowing.

What VT100 features are lacking from VLT that are not "rock solid"?  I
use VLT constantly in connection with the mini at work, and vt100 is my
native mode of operation.  Every possible terminal function I can think
of, other than perhaps programmable character sets, appear to work
perfectly (does vt100 even have that?). I would be interested in
knowing though...

                                Thanks, Dean
--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

pallen@sysp1.hq.af.mil (Pete Allen) (11/20/90)

In <1990Nov10.073449.22405@engin.umich.edu> (Ralph Seguin) writes:

>                                 So far, the only program that has
>totally solid vt100 that I've found is Handshake, and it is not nearly
>as feature laden as VLT.
>			Thanks, Ralph

Have you tried JR-COmm V1.01? I use it's VT-100 emulation every day and have
had great success with it. It and Handshake are the only two that I've tried
so far that support the custom font features.

=  Pete Allen - N L 7 O I  =  _ //  =  If the Air Force WANTED me to have an =
=  pallen@sysp1.hq.af.mil  =  \X/   =  an opinion, they'd have ISSUED me one =

pallen@sysp1.hq.af.mil (Pete Allen) in <pallen.659060858@sysp1> writes:

	In <1990Nov10.073449.22405@engin.umich.edu> (Ralph Seguin) writes:
	>                                 So far, the only program that has
	>totally solid vt100 that I've found is Handshake, and it is not nearly
	>as feature laden as VLT.
	>			Thanks, Ralph

	Have you tried JR-COmm V1.01? I use it's VT-100 emulation every day
	and have had great success with it. It and Handshake are the only two
	that I've tried so far that support the custom font features.

There's NO need to speculate as to what works and what doesn't.

"VT100 emulation" (contrasted with "ANSI compatibility") implies a very
specific set of commands and features that MUST function correctly, else the
emulation is flawed.

Just because so-called "VT100 emulators" can position the cursor when your
host system has been informed you're using a "VT100" does NOT mean the
emulation is correct.

Among the unique features of a real VT100 are double wide and double-wide/
double-high characters, an alternate line-drawing character set(s), region
scrolling (forward and reverse, jump and smooth scroll), line insert/delete
and often character insert/delete (VT102), bold/blink/underline/etc. character
display attributes, etc etc etc.

The "real world" tests mandate using Stallman's EMACS on a DEC-20, VAX or UNIX
box and/or fancy menu windows with cursor and application keys handled
properly using, for example, SMG on a VAX/VMS, or FACE/FMLI on a SVR3 or SVR4
UNIX box.

The definitive test, no exception, is the Per Lindberg VT100 validation suite
which is available at most archive sites; this program works on TOPS-20 and
UNIX systems and will verify positively a "correct" VT100 emulation.  Very
few terminal emulations will survive 10 seconds into this test, and there are
many actual, real terminals that also fail very quickly.  The full test suite
requires about 20 minutes to run, and it runs interactively.

Several years ago when I last ran the test, the ONLY emulation program on the
Amiga that passed the Per Lindberg suite was HandShake version 2.12a.  Marco
Papa claimed his ATalkIII will pass the test, but I haven't tried ATalkIII.
Last time I tried VLT, it, too, failed the test, but I still use VLT for its
Tektronix emulation.  For the record, NOTHING on a Mac will pass the test (as
of earlier this year).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]