[comp.sys.amiga] Zip program

trudel@caip.rutgers.edu (Jonathan) (11/03/90)

Is there a program for the amiga  that deals with files compressed in
the Zip format?   I think it's something from the PC world.

If you have heard of such a program, please let me know its name, and
where I can find it (if it's on a Fish disk, which one?)

bjc@smunews.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (11/13/90)

In article <Nov.3.09.54.21.1990.1065@caip.rutgers.edu> trudel@caip.rutgers.edu (Jonathan) writes:

>Is there a program for the amiga  that deals with files compressed in
>the Zip format?   I think it's something from the PC world.
>
>If you have heard of such a program, please let me know its name, and
>where I can find it (if it's on a Fish disk, which one?)

There are several Amiga programs designed to unpack ZIP files, but the
only one we have found to be reliable (and it will both pack and unpack)
is the one called PKAZIP.  It does not have a CLI interface, but is
easy to use and has done a good job.  Among other places to find it,
it is in Library 5 of AmigaUser Forum on CompuServe.  Sorry - I don't
know the other places.

Betty
Betty Clay
76702.337@compuserve.com

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (11/14/90)

In article <16488@smunews.UUCP> bjc@smunews.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) writes:
<In article <Nov.3.09.54.21.1990.1065@caip.rutgers.edu> trudel@caip.rutgers.edu (Jonathan) writes:
<>
<>Is there a program for the amiga  that deals with files compressed in
<>the Zip format?   I think it's something from the PC world.
<>
<>If you have heard of such a program, please let me know its name, and
<>where I can find it (if it's on a Fish disk, which one?)
<
<
<There are several Amiga programs designed to unpack ZIP files, but the
<only one we have found to be reliable (and it will both pack and unpack)
<is the one called PKAZIP.  It does not have a CLI interface, but is
<easy to use and has done a good job.  Among other places to find it,
<it is in Library 5 of AmigaUser Forum on CompuServe.  Sorry - I don't
<know the other places.
<
<Betty
<=====================================================================
<Betty Clay
<76702.337@compuserve.com
<========================================================================

Version 1.01 of PKAZIP can be found on Fred Fish Disk 318.

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

Steve.Palm@f16.n11.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Steve Palm) (11/25/90)

AREA:UUCP_AMIGA
(Jonathan) writes:

 >Is there a program for the amiga  that deals with files compressed in
 >the Zip format?   I think it's something from the PC world.
 >
 >If you have heard of such a program, please let me know its name, and
 >where I can find it (if it's on a Fish disk, which one?)

There is a program called 'ZIPPY' out.  I believe it's latest version is
1.25.  I'm sorry that I can't direct you to the best place to get it,
though.

There was some discussion as to how good it was.  I have found that it will
extract ALL types of ZIP archives, but it has one caveat:  It **MUST** be
spawned VIA ARP to un-do imploded zip files.

I was running it under the ARP shell and never had a problem.  I recently
removed the ARP shell from my system and it no longer could un-do the
imploded files.  ARUN ZIPPY .....    would function okay, however.

Anyone have any ideas on WHY?

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Steve Palm - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!11!16!Steve.Palm
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Steve.Palm@f16.n11.z1.FIDONET.ORG