[comp.sys.amiga] Unix support

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (11/25/90)

As I mentioned in another posting, I don't think the average Amiga user is
going to network his Amiga to a TCP/IP based network, so the networking
advantages X Windows has don't really come into play.

However, on talking to my local Amiga dealer recently, I came across another
problem.  Basically, how are the Amiga 3000s with Unix going to be sold and
supported?  My dealer has no one knowledgeable about Unix on staff, nor in
fact do they WANT to support Unix.  I guess this is why those rumours about
Commodore buying part of Sun's Unix line were floating around the net.  Unless
the person who is setting up the Amiga Unix system has had experience with
Unix beforehand, they're definitely going to need strong dealer support.  So
how is this going to happen?

It wouldn't surprise me if Commodore is initially aiming the Unix machines
at educational markets -- they're more likely to have staff that know what
to do with Unix and how to set it up and support it.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) writes:

> However, on talking to my local Amiga dealer recently, I came across
> another problem. Basically, how are the Amiga 3000s with Unix going to
> be sold and supported? My dealer has no one knowledgeable about Unix
> on staff, nor in fact do they WANT to support Unix. Unless the person
> who is setting up the Amiga Unix system has had experience with Unix
> beforehand, they're definitely going to need strong dealer support. So
> how is this going to happen?

Well, back when the Amiga first came out, there sure weren't any dealers
knowledgable about AmigaDOS, either. I suspect they will have to open
the books and read them enough to make the machines work, if they expect
to sell any, and learn enough to give advice, if they don't want word of
mouth about their poor support to put them out of business. No one has
given Amiga dealers a special dispensation saying they never have to
learn anything new to stay in business. That's not how the computer
marketplace works, at any level. Quite to the contrary, learning
constantly to keep up with the field is the only way to continue to
succeed. There is nothing special about Unix that would change these
rules.

> It wouldn't surprise me if Commodore is initially aiming the Unix
> machines at educational markets -- they're more likely to have staff
> that know what to do with Unix and how to set it up and support it.

Well, the fact that Commodore has gone out of its way to put beta units
in educational environments _now_ shows that they are seeding the future
job market with cheap-to-hire AmigaUnix knowledgable salesperson
wannabies.  Computer sales is an excellent part time student job, so no
one has to wait for graduation to start applying newly learned skills to
the salesforce.

Besides, there are _lots_ of us out here with Unix sysadmin experience
who'd like to add a little to our cash flow with an evening job.
                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.