[comp.sys.amiga] Call for discussion: comp.multimedia

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (11/27/90)

[Attention comp.sys.amiga readers:  This newsgroup proposal is right up
 "our" alley!  Yet, "we" were left out along with all the other various
 and sundry computer platforms..]

In article <7422@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU> ittai@shemesh.gba.nyu.edu (Ittai Hershman) writes:
>Proposal:   The creation of a newsgroup called "comp.multimedia"
>	    to discuss interactive multimedia technologies and
>	    applications: systems which combine text, graphic images,
>	    animation, sound, and/or video, with computer technology.

Good idea so far ..

>Naming:     Ten days ago I floated the idea for "comp.multimedia" on
>	    the comp.ivideodisc newsgroup.  The reaction was positive,
>	    but a number of people voiced dissatisfaction with the
>	    term "multimedia".  One person typified the naming problem
>	    when he stated: "The lexical token `multimedia' is pretty
>	    much debased."  Alternatives such as "polymedia" and
>	    "new-media" were suggested.

polymedia??  new-media??  bleah!

Why is `multimedia' a distasteful term?  I don't understand...  It says
exactly the right thing to me.  *Except* that different people view
it in different terms.

For instance ... Commodore/Amiga sees the Amiga as being the "perfect"
multimedia computer because it outputs NTSC & can easily combine sound
and computer graphics and external video and create *video*.  Yet the
Apple/MacIntosh push the Mac as being the "perfect" multimedia computer
because it easily supports CD-ROM & video disk & desktop publishing.
Surely if I looked farther, I'd see other things as fitting that term.

But so what -- they're all right, but just have different "views" on
the term.  Multimedia means just what it sounds like:  Multiple Mediums.
A computer which can work with more than one media at a time is a
multimedia computer.  BTW, "polymedia" has the same meaning but
since it isn't the "popular term" then it sounds Wrong and Weird.

And what about "new-media"?  Well.. what about 5 years from now when
these media are no longer "new"?

Have fun,

	David

--