[comp.sys.amiga] What to do?

jwabik@uc.msc.umn.edu (Jeff Wabik) (11/09/90)

What should I do?  I've been away from my Amiga for quite a while..
You know -- lots of toys at work, and I haven't wanted to play too much
after that..  Recently, though, I decided I needed to get some things
done at home..  Upgrade.  I thought about a new A3000, or a Sun
Workstation, but I finally decided that there was nothing that
particularly appealing without spending a lot of money.  I decided to
do nothing, but, all of a sudden I fell into a 40MB SCSI disk that I
picked up for $25.  The next move:  Upgrade my A1000 to drive this new
disk, and have it take me another year or so..

So here I am.  I've got an A1000 wiht 512K, 2 floppies, and not
much else that's made one hell of a VT100 over the years.  My
subscription to Amiga World has long since expired, and I'm way
out of touch with what's going on.  I'd like to buy a SCSI controller
to drive the disk, and perhaps provide some space to install additional
memory (I'd like to plug in SIMMS, if I could.  Am I dreaming?)  I could
get a copy of A-World, but, there'd be just ads, and I'd have to
pick one randomly.  Can anyone make a recommendation on such a
device?  A recommendation on where to buy it from?  An estimate of
the cost?

As I said, I'm living in a floppy world..  Once I get this disk and
controller, I have NO CLUE how to set it up.  What level of system
software do I need?  Is this even possible?  Is it practical?

In short, Help!

Any info appreciated..  If you can e/mail, that'd be good 'cause I
dont get much chance to wade through this group anymore.

Thanks!

	-Jeff

--
Jeff A. Wabik				E/Mail:	 jwabik@msc.umn.edu
Minnesota Supercomputer Center 		AT&T:    +1 612 626 0211

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/10/90)

Well, for the A1000, devices for that machine are sparse. However, since
Most A500 HD things work for it, you could use most of them,provided ypou
turned it around. The choices I would say would be the Commodore A590+,
and the GVP Series II FaaaastROM controller for the A500. The Commodore
controller is faster than the GVP controller, and you can problably get
it jsut as easily. The Commdore controller comes with an IDE drivce, but
has an unused SCSI port. Just hook the drive you have right now up to
that, and save you a bundle. Both machines support RAM expansion (2 megs
for the CBM, 8 for the GVP).      ^^^^^^^^ that should be controllers.

Anyway, if I were you, I would go with the A590. I know for a fact 6that
this works with the A1000, and you simply hook up your drive, (and yoiu
might want to sell the existing IDE drive),maybe add some RAM, and Bingo!
Watch your IBM/Mac-loving friends drool in what a 5 year old machine can
do.

Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group (BAUG)
joseph@valnet.UUCP                         ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
"Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) (11/19/90)

In comp.sys.amiga you write:

>Well, for the A1000, devices for that machine are sparse. However, since
>Most A500 HD things work for it, you could use most of them,provided ypou
>turned it around. The choices I would say would be the Commodore A590+,
>and the GVP Series II FaaaastROM controller for the A500. The Commodore
>controller is faster than the GVP controller, and you can problably get
               ^^^^^^
Is that true ? Is the A590 controller really faster then the GVP
controller ?. I'm about to buy one of them and I'll probably replace the 20MB
with a Quantum 40MB. But I've heard that the A590 interface was so slow,
that it would slow down the Quantum drive !!

Can you help me out ??? Thanx in advance.

  ** Keyboard error or no keyboard present. Press any key to continue. **
  **                                                              IBM. **
  **                  E-mail : martijn@DNLUNX.UUCP                     **

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (11/22/90)

In article <4055@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) writes:

>In comp.sys.amiga you write:
>
>>Well, for the A1000, devices for that machine are sparse. However, since
>>Most A500 HD things work for it, you could use most of them,provided ypou
>>turned it around. The choices I would say would be the Commodore A590+,
>>and the GVP Series II FaaaastROM controller for the A500. The Commodore
>>controller is faster than the GVP controller, and you can problably get
>               ^^^^^^
>Is that true ? Is the A590 controller really faster then the GVP
>controller ?. I'm about to buy one of them and I'll probably replace the 20MB
>with a Quantum 40MB. But I've heard that the A590 interface was so slow,
>that it would slow down the Quantum drive !!

I can't speak to the A590 vs GVP question but I can say that the
A590's SCSI interface (which is what you'd be using if you swapped in
a Quantum) is anything but slow.  The speed limitation in this
situation would definitely be the drive and not the interface. I have
an A590/Quantum setup and it's fast enough, indeed :)

bj

>  **                  E-mail : martijn@DNLUNX.UUCP                     **

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEmie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of        |
 | the obvious."                                                       |

david@walking.pub.uu.oz.au (David Le Blanc) (11/27/90)

In article <4055@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl>, Reinalda M. writes:

> In comp.sys.amiga you write:
>
> >Well, for the A1000, devices for that machine are sparse. However, since
> >Most A500 HD things work for it, you could use most of them,provided ypou
> >turned it around. The choices I would say would be the Commodore A590+,
> >and the GVP Series II FaaaastROM controller for the A500. The Commodore
> >controller is faster than the GVP controller, and you can problably get
>                ^^^^^^
> Is that true ? Is the A590 controller really faster then the GVP
> controller ?. I'm about to buy one of them and I'll probably replace the 20MB
> with a Quantum 40MB. But I've heard that the A590 interface was so slow,
> that it would slow down the Quantum drive !!

Well, I have an A590, with a 325Meg Miniscribe SCSI attached. Diskperf
gives a rating in excess of 700K per second (in the largest buffer size..)
(whereas the 20Meg drive gives about 159K per sec!)
and although it DOES get bogged down a little :-) when using ham interlace
overscan screens, I'd generally say it was FAST!.

I have heard that the difference between the GVP and the A590 was
that the GVP came with a better drive, BUT the A590 comes with a
better *controller* so If you intend to replace the drive with a
large drive, get the A590 (unless you want the mega-meg 8 megabyte
expansion capabiltiy in the latest GVP '590+' look-alikes).

> Can you help me out ??? Thanx in advance.

Hope this helps.

>   ** Keyboard error or no keyboard present. Press any key to continue. **
>   **                                                              IBM. **
>   **                  E-mail : martijn@DNLUNX.UUCP                     **

    David Le Blanc    UUCP (home)   : eyrie!walking!david@labtam@munnari.oz
    david@walking     ACSNET (work) : david@dogmelb.dog@munnari.oz

    "Life? Dont talk to ME about life.. " :  Marvin the paranoid android.