[comp.sys.amiga] Displaybeep and Unix... this was originally in c.s.a.tech

91_bickingd@GAR.UNION.EDU ("Bicking, David") (11/22/90)

>Subject: Re: AmigaOS/UNIX - A Suggestion
>Date: 21 Nov 90 12:46:23 GMT

>> I think one of the main advantages of Amiga UNIX is that it's Standard UNIX.
>> You have a zillion '386 machines out there, and if they're not running one
>> of the ugly MS operating systems, they're running System V, probably 3.x but
>> soon moving to 4.0.

>And you think that applications developers are going to keep an A3000UX around
>to compile a copy of their code on for the relatively few 68000 ABI machines
>out there? If they have a 68000 based machine it'll probably be a Sun: and
>SunOS is BSD derived: not System V. In the workstation world BSD is the
>standard.  (I personally think BSD sucks, but facts are facts)

	Hm. I was under the impression that BSD was going to be a subset of
UNIX V.4.  Am I mistaken here?

>Speaking of 2.0, I really really dislike the new DisplayBeep (it now flashes
>Color 0 into Color 1 instead of inverting the palette), because it makes all
>my text windows turn black. My wife finds it particularly distracting. Please
>change it back before you burn ROMs. Please.

	Even better:  (if it hasn't already been done) Why not make the beep be
whatever sound the end-user wants?  I have a pd program calld Playbeep, and it
allows me to use any IFF sound file as a beep (yes, even long songs, but I'm
not insane).  The only problem is that it doesn't handle stereo sounds and it
probably won't work in WB 2.0.  Why not supply the OPTION of designating some
IFF sound as a beep?  It's a little thing, but I think it is very important
(details are more important than one might think)

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-
Dave Bicking         	       Single Tasking????? Just say NO!!!!

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (11/24/90)

In article <9011220147.AA17409@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 91_bickingd@GAR.UNION.EDU ("Bicking, David") writes:
>>Subject: Re: AmigaOS/UNIX - A Suggestion
>>Date: 21 Nov 90 12:46:23 GMT
>
>>> I think one of the main advantages of Amiga UNIX is that it's Standard UNIX.
>>> You have a zillion '386 machines out there, and if they're not running one
>>> of the ugly MS operating systems, they're running System V, probably 3.x but
>>> soon moving to 4.0.
>
>>And you think that applications developers are going to keep an A3000UX around
>>to compile a copy of their code on for the relatively few 68000 ABI machines
>>out there? If they have a 68000 based machine it'll probably be a Sun: and
>>SunOS is BSD derived: not System V. In the workstation world BSD is the
>>standard.  (I personally think BSD sucks, but facts are facts)
>
>	Hm. I was under the impression that BSD was going to be a subset of
>UNIX V.4.  Am I mistaken here?

This is correct.  UNIX System V Release 4 constitutes a
unification of AT&T System V, BSD, XENIX, and SunOS.  There are
a few files in a separate library for backwards compatibility
with aspects of BSD which have been revised too dramatically to
be completely compatible, but I don't believe that these are
major portions of code.

"The workstation world" presumably will operate off of SVR4 and
its GUI, Open Look, in lieu of SunView and various custom X
implementations  (X is the basis of Open Look).  Mainstream UNIX
applications in a year or two will be written for this standard
and will run unmodified on Sun4 SPARCs, Amiga 3x00UXs, and
whatever other workstations embrace the standard.
68030 and 68040 chips being what they are, there likely won't be
much of a programmers preference between a Sun and an Amiga UX
with the ULowell board and all that, as far as UNIX programming.

The losers look to be those vendors hopping on the rival
OSF/Motif bandwagon  (DEC, HP, IBM)  and Apple, which doesn't
seem to be doing anything to standardize.  The OSF folks are big
enough to take care of themselves, but notably IBM is hedging
its bets--note that XENIX is merging into SVR4.  I don't know
what NeXT is doing, either.

Commodore has embraced a standard in their Unix, probably the
most pervasive standard which the computer world has seen in a
long time.  Amiga UNIX users will not have to wait for ports.
Which is how it should be.

Thom

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (11/27/90)

In article <9011220147.AA17409@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
91_bickingd@GAR.UNION.EDU ("Bicking, David") writes:
> >Speaking of 2.0, I really really dislike the new DisplayBeep (it now
flashes
> >Color 0 into Color 1 instead of inverting the palette), because it
makes all
> >my text windows turn black. My wife finds it particularly distracting.
Please
> >change it back before you burn ROMs. Please.
>
>         Even better:  (if it hasn't already been done) Why not make the
beep be
> whatever sound the end-user wants?  I have a pd program calld Playbeep,
and it
> allows me to use any IFF sound file as a beep (yes, even long songs, but
I'm
> not insane).  The only problem is that it doesn't handle stereo sounds
and it
> probably won't work in WB 2.0.  Why not supply the OPTION of designating
some
> IFF sound as a beep?  It's a little thing, but I think it is very
important
> (details are more important than one might think)

      I couldn't agree more ... or what about just a small sound of a few
bytes too ? (simple beep). The Amiga is suposed to have good sound
possibilites, but it's the only computer who doesn't make any sound when
running (any sound from the speaker, exept for that, A500 have their
floppies, and A2000 have their fans (-:). Even the ST is able to do a
small 'ping' as a beep.

     That wouldn't be a big change, you could even take ideas from the
Macintosh. What about being able to choose a IFF sound from the
preferences ? (and/or have a couple of pre-defined sounds like a 'boing!'
for example). And being able to select the sound level, and if you select
a sound level of 0, heres goes the old flash. You know the story....

         JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)
" Just make it!", BO in 'BO knows Unix'