[comp.sys.amiga] In need of specific info on Deluxe Paint III

culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) (11/24/90)

I am considering buying Deluxe Paint III for my younger brother for X-Mas,
but he only has a *minimal* system (a hand-me-down from me when I bought
my 2000HD :-).  He has:

   Amiga 1000, 512K, *one* floppy drive, composite monitor.

He already uses Deluxe Paint (version I ??? ... the original version,
from '85 or '86) and the results are fine for what he does with it
(after all, he's only 10 yrs old).

Can somebody please tell me with certainty whether Deluxe Paint III will
run on such a system.  Are there other comparable packages that will
run on his setup ??? (for example, what about Disney Animation???  Now that
I mention it, how easy is this package to use, and is it any good???)

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

sean.

 _ /-_
(_)>(_)   sean.  (culhane@vis.toronto.edu)

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (11/25/90)

In article <90Nov23.221224est.8310@orasis.vis.toronto.edu> culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) writes:

>I am considering buying Deluxe Paint III for my younger brother for X-Mas,
>but he only has a *minimal* system (a hand-me-down from me when I bought
>my 2000HD :-).  He has:
>
>   Amiga 1000, 512K, *one* floppy drive, composite monitor.
>
>He already uses Deluxe Paint (version I ??? ... the original version,
>from '85 or '86) and the results are fine for what he does with it
>(after all, he's only 10 yrs old).
>
>Can somebody please tell me with certainty whether Deluxe Paint III will
>run on such a system.  Are there other comparable packages that will
>run on his setup ??? (for example, what about Disney Animation???  Now that
>I mention it, how easy is this package to use, and is it any good???)
>
>Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
>
>sean.

Dpaint III runs just fine on 512K. The only part of the package that doesn't
work is the animations.

Jorgen

email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

mlelias@miavx0.ham.muohio.edu (Mike Elias (Mighty Amigo) Systems Analysis) (11/25/90)

In article <90Nov23.221224est.8310@orasis.vis.toronto.edu>, culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) writes:
> I am considering buying Deluxe Paint III for my younger brother for X-Mas,
> but he only has a *minimal* system (a hand-me-down from me when I bought
> my 2000HD :-).  He has:
>
>    Amiga 1000, 512K, *one* floppy drive, composite monitor.
>
> He already uses Deluxe Paint (version I ??? ... the original version,
> from '85 or '86) and the results are fine for what he does with it
> (after all, he's only 10 yrs old).

	The manual for DPaint III states that you need a minimum of 1 meg of
ram, and they prefer that you have two floppy drives.

> Can somebody please tell me with certainty whether Deluxe Paint III will
> run on such a system.  Are there other comparable packages that will

	Sorry, but no.

> run on his setup ??? (for example, what about Disney Animation???  Now that
> I mention it, how easy is this package to use, and is it any good???)
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
>
> sean.
>
> --
>  _ /-_
> (_)>(_)   sean.  (culhane@vis.toronto.edu)
 ___________                           ______
(   )   )   )   .     /  /            ( /       /   .
   /   /   /         /__/  ____        /___    /       ____    ___
  /   /   /    /    / \   ( ___)      /       /   /   /    )  (___
 /   /   (____(____(   \___X____     (_______(___(___(____(_______)
Mlelias@Miavx1.Bitnet  Mlelias@Miavx0

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (11/26/90)

In article <285.274f02be@miavx0.ham.muohio.edu>, Mike Elias (Mighty Amigo writes:

> In article <90Nov23.221224est.8310@orasis.vis.toronto.edu>, culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) writes:
> > I am considering buying Deluxe Paint III for my younger brother for X-Mas,
> >
> >    Amiga 1000, 512K, *one* floppy drive, composite monitor.
> >
> > He already uses Deluxe Paint (version I ??? ... the original version,
> > from '85 or '86) and the results are fine for what he does with it
> > (after all, he's only 10 yrs old).
> >

> 	The manual for DPaint III states that you need a minimum of 1 meg of
> ram, and they prefer that you have two floppy drives.

   For doing animations. Drawing will work, though you'll tend to run out
of ram quickly. An A590 box with ram would make him quite happy :-) :-)

                                       -Henrik

|                       Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data                    |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/

gmb@iclswe.icl.se (Grahame Budd) (11/27/90)

culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) writes:

>   Amiga 1000, 512K, *one* floppy drive, composite monitor.

>Can somebody please tell me with certainty whether Deluxe Paint III will
>run on such a system.

Yes it will, but...

1. Animation won't work, the menu will be un-selectable.

2. DPIII forces "swap" mode. Some functions and all requesters will only be
   loaded on demand. This is slow and requires the DPIII disk.

My version of DPIII states "1 Meg only" but it seems that the code is very good
at adapting to memnry shortage. However the disk swap between data and DPIII
disks is a big problem. A cheap 1/2 meg upgrade solves most problems and even
allows DPIII to run with only one floppy drive.

( BTW: My main system is 2 meg but I still run out with animations :-)