[comp.sys.amiga] VLT: stopping file transfers

bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) (11/28/90)

Is there any way to abort an XPR file transfer in VLT without rebooting?
  Several times I've hit amigaR to receive without making sure that sender
  and receiver were usng the same protocol and ended up waiting twenty
  minutes for a timeout to abort the transfer or, with zmodem, having to
  reboot to get out of the thing.

Alternatively, is there a 'kill -9'-type command that will break a process
  no matter what?  break doesn't seem to work on much of anything.

Also: does anyone know if there are plans at commodore or elsewhere for a
  cheap high-resolution monochrome graphics board?  I'd like res better
  that 640x400 to run xwindows in, if I'm going to fork 5k for an
  Amiga 3000ux.

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (11/28/90)

bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) writes:

>Is there any way to abort an XPR file transfer in VLT without rebooting?
>  Several times I've hit amigaR to receive without making sure that sender
>  and receiver were usng the same protocol and ended up waiting twenty
>  minutes for a timeout to abort the transfer or, with zmodem, having to
>  reboot to get out of the thing.

You can click outside the VLT transfer window and hit ESC.  That works for
me, but there usually is a bit of problem getting the sender (if you're
downloading) to stop sending, so I have to hit ^X to get the sender to stop.

The other two questions, I'm not absolutely sure about, so I won't attempt
to answer.

>**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
>**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
| jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Internet)   These opinions are mine, that's all.|

myb100@csc.anu.oz.au (11/28/90)

In article <9823@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) writes:
> Is there any way to abort an XPR file transfer in VLT without rebooting?
[...]

Use the <esc> key - press it once, and you should see the error count go up a
few. Then it beeps, and it says 'Transfer Aborted' (or similar). Sometimes you
have to hold it for a second or two - it doesn't appear to poll the keyboard
continuously during transfers.

> Also: does anyone know if there are plans at commodore or elsewhere for a
>   cheap high-resolution monochrome graphics board?  I'd like res better
>   that 640x400 to run xwindows in, if I'm going to fork 5k for an
>   Amiga 3000ux.

I hope I didn't misunderstand your question... :-)
Commodore already produces the A2024 monitor, which is capable of ~1k square
in four shades of grey. (the numbers mightn't be quite right..sorry) It runs
quite happily on an A2000 (so we've been told by The Dave :-)) There's also
a Viking Moniterm monitor I believe. (I may have mixed the names up a bit,
but anyway, there are monitors out there, and Amiga's support them already)

> **   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
> **   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **
 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank