[comp.sys.amiga] We need a new virus killer!

ahonen@kullero.uta.fi (Anssi Ahonen) (11/27/90)

  Amiga virus situation is getting worse. It seems that after a long break
those idiots who program viruses for the amiga are once again creating
new diseases for our beloved computer.

1) Bootblock viruses

There must be about 30-40 of them nowadays. Not very dangerous, but some of them
are very destructive ("The Lamer Exterminator", for example"). Bootblock viruses
are easy to catch with every decent virus killer.

2) Disk-validator viruses

Under Kickstart 1.2 and 1.3 (don't know about the 2.0?) you can put your
own program code into the l:disk-validator. To spread this kind of virus you
just insert an infected disk in ANY disk drive ANY time. How many of our
current virus killers check the disk validotor? None! And there is already at least
one virus written in this fashion around.

3) Link viruses

There are new BAD link viruses around (like "The Travelin' Jack"). Current virus
killers don't even notice them.

We need a new virus killer program. A program designed to check reset-vectors,
interrupt-vectors, resident libraries, disk-validator and executables.
A program we can TRUST!
--
Anssi 'Affe' Ahonen
"You're never dead till you're out of quarters"

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (11/28/90)

[...]

***********

Why don't you get VDK from Chris Hames of Australia, it works quite well
on most of the things you metioned.  Try it, you will like it.

Christopher Walton

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu

In article <1836@kielo.uta.fi> ahonen@kullero.uta.fi (Anssi Ahonen) writes:

>We need a new virus killer program. A program designed to check reset-vectors,
>interrupt-vectors, resident libraries, disk-validator and executables.

This is a permanent issue in the war virus programs against anti-virus
programs: If we had a STANDARD anti-virus program, then every virus
programmer could train his virus to fool this checking program. So you
will NEVER have ONE all-purpose and all-time-valid anti-virus program.

But most of your wishes can get satisfied already. Every virus that
infects an existing file (be it library or executable), is detectable
through a good CRC checking program. (There is one on the fish disks,
but I haven't own experience with it.) When a virus changed a file,
the CRC program should notice that. And a "good" CRC program should
add a feature like "configuration" that enables you to choose your
own polynome for the CRC computation. Otherwise, if always the same
polynome were used, a virus could outperform that by adding some
checksum-like bytes to restore the CRC sum to the old value. But if
the virus doesn't know about the mechanism details how the CRC is
computed, it can't take any actions against it.

So my attempt to such a program was to use a PD wordcount program,
let it run on EVERY file on my HD (yes, also data files), store this
check program and the result (long list of all files with paths included
and their wordcount results) on a separate floppy disk, and when running
this program again, I got a list of which files were new/deleted since
last time and which files changed. So I at least get an alarm, when one
of my executables or other system files was changed not intentionally.

But this concept suffers from a different caveat that is the reason why
I still don't use it regularly: 1. I use a wordcount program, where the
checksum is NOT configurable (should code my own one), 2. the data file
with the results gets so big it doesn't fit on a single floppy. So I
still have to work on a way to compact this file considerably. I already
have some ideas, but not the time to put them into code.

So this is the way development should take for this kind of virus
protection programs. The other kind still should check the system
vectors in the Amiga RAM and floppy bootblocks. And there we can
achieve some progress, too, sure.