[comp.sys.amiga] Aquarium is overflowing...

jac423@leah.albany.edu (Jules Cisek) (11/27/90)

Aquarium is a wonderful utility for all, but what will happen when the
database gets bigger than what can be  held on one  floppy?  (HD users
needn't reply to this one... :)

--
|    // .______. J.Cisek  CSC MiniSystems  "i don't want the world,   \_o_/ |
|  \X/--|UU UUU| jac423@leah.albany.edu     i just want your half..." \\|   |

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.074433.20533@sarah.albany.edu> jac423@leah.albany.edu (Jules Cisek) writes:

>Aquarium is a wonderful utility for all, but what will happen when the
>database gets bigger than what can be  held on one  floppy?  (HD users
>needn't reply to this one... :)

Split it into two databases, even though I have a hard drive.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (11/28/90)

jac423@leah.albany.edu (Jules Cisek) writes:

>Aquarium is a wonderful utility for all, but what will happen when the
>database gets bigger than what can be  held on one  floppy?  (HD users
>needn't reply to this one... :)

It's already happened. I got a nasty surprise a couple of weeks ago when
I was preparing an updated Aquarium disk for my local user's group.
After updating the database to disk 400, I tried to copy it from my hard
drive to the floppy, and it didn't fit. By deleting the few unnecessary
files from the floppy I was able to get it to fit. (Bye bye to the cute
"IBM sucks" Trashcan icon, and icons and text reader for the docs.)

What I plan to do for the user group floppy is to start a second disk
with Fish Disks 401 and up so that users without hard drives can still
use it. A few more disks might be squeezed onto one floppy, but Fish
400 seems like a good place to make the break.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g