[comp.sys.amiga] DirWork 1.12

ins778u@vax4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr c.r. hames) (11/24/90)

    An article was posted some time ago stating not to use DirWork 1.12
with the use of it causing the loss of data for a person.  Thanks to
him I have worked out what happened and as some people asked here is
the situation.......

    The problem occurs with all other directory utilities I have tested,
it is caused by a DOS bug.  When a move operation is done on the same
device most intelligent programs do a rename so it happens very quickly.
So if you have a device with a dir ONE and another ONE/TWO and you do
the wierd operation of move ONE to ONE/TWO the program does

 rename ONE ONE/TWO/ONE

DOS returns no error even though it stuffs up completely and the ONE
directory disappears so you lose all files/dirs that are decendants of
it.  You can do it from DOS or from most if not all dir utilities.

I have not checked the situation with DOS 2.0 but doubt very much that
this bug remains in 2.0.

So DirWork 1.12 is not a Hard Disk muncher or anything of the sort as
might have been decided from the original article.  It is just unaware
(as are sid 1.06 etc) of this DOS bug.  A check for this very rare
situation will be included in the next version of course.
--
Chris Hames - C/Assembler programmer | Fish: DirWork,FSDirs,VMK..|  /~\/ \
              3:633/353  (Fido)      | Commercial:  Soon...      | (  OZ  )

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (11/29/90)

ins778u@vax4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  c.r. hames) writes:

>    An article was posted some time ago stating not to use DirWork 1.12
>with the use of it causing the loss of data for a person.  Thanks to
>him I have worked out what happened and as some people asked here is
>the situation.......

As the original poster of the article regarding a problem with DirWork 1.12,
I also want to followup and confirm that everything is fine with DirWork 1.12.

I apologize to the public, and the author, for any problems this may have
caused.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.