[comp.sys.amiga] Note-on Note-off in

mcdonley@dinl.uucp (alan mcdonley) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.100235.14663@assari.tut.fi> writes:

>There is also a great improvement in MIDI editing in 2.13 when compared to 2.10
>In 2.10 MED added a note on KEY-OFF command also not only on KEY-ON (or
>whatever it is called (I don't remember)). 2.13 adds a note ONLY on KEY-on...
>Now editing with MIDI is possible... (It sure wasn't with 2.10)

But Med does not appear to handle the situation of
midi Note-on C-2
midi Note-on E-2
midi Note-on G-2
.
.
.
midi Note-off C-2
midi Note-off E-2
midi Note-off G-2

In Med each Note-on cancels the previous Note-on for some reason.  Med
could be a great MIDI sequencer if Note-off msgs inserted a Note at 0
vol into the note list and a Note at 0 vol sent a note-off msg on
playback.

I realize that with Amiga voices only one note can be sounding at a
time, but with a polyphonic voice via midi more than one
note is possible.  So Med *should* add a note on KEY0FF (midi note-off)
but the vol should be zero.

I have been playing with MED2.13  maybe I should go back and try MED2.10
to see if it properly handles the note-off.  I got frustrated with
MED2.13 by stuck
notes left on and premature note-off msgs during midi playback. I also
think that there was a minute (small) pause during block changes but I
am not absolutely positive.

I have not looked at the source to see how easy it would be to make my
own version.  I only got the binary on 2.13 and have the source for 2.10
laying around somewhere.  Hopefully it is not like the MIDISTUFF package
where the source lacks some header files so compilation is impossible.

Alan McDonley,        Martin Marietta Information and Communication Systems
(303) 977-3347        mcdonley@inlatlas.den.mmc.com
P.O.Box 1260          ncar!dinl!mcdonley
Denver,CO 80201-1260  Opinions are my own, not my employer's.