[comp.sys.amiga] MS-DOS emulation

roger@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Roger White) (11/12/90)

Is there any way to emulate a MS-DOS computer with an Amiga 500 through
software (no hardware required)? I am thinking about getting a 500 very
soon, and have the 64 emulator... an IBM emulator would be great also.

Also, what is the difference between the A500 and A500P? I have seen both
advertised, is there any advantages to owning one over the other? And is
it worth paying 3 times the price of a 500 to buy a 2000? I can get a
500 for $600 and a 2000 for $1800, is it worth it?

Thanks,
Roger
--
Boot it up? I did A LOT of that!| Roger White
		(Sam-Cheers)	| Memorial University of Newfoundland

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov11.232040.5134@stretch.cs.mun.ca> roger@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Roger White) writes:
>Is there any way to emulate a MS-DOS computer with an Amiga 500 through
>software (no hardware required)?...

I don't know.

>I can get a 500 for $600 and a 2000 for $1800, is it worth it?

The list price of the A500 (consumer version) is now $499.

>..uunet!stretch.cs.mun.ca!roger, roger@stretch.mun.edu, roger@stretch.cs.mun.ca
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/14/90)

There is no software PC emulator for the A500. You might want to check
out the software/hardware emulator from Pulsar, that fits in the
A500(P)'s trap door.

A500C: (old version, with new name)
        512K RAM
        Tetris
        Where in the Worl is Carmen Sandiego?
        TextCraft +
        A501 RF modulator

A500P: (new version)
        1 meg RAM
        AmigaVision

Both are the same price. I'd take the 'P' model. The 'C' model is sold in
mass market retailers, K-Mart, SoftWare Etc, places like that. The 'P'
model is for registered dealers.

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

dlt@locus.com (Dan Taylor) (11/14/90)

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:

>In article <1990Nov11.232040.5134@stretch.cs.mun.ca> roger@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Roger White) writes:
>>Is there any way to emulate a MS-DOS computer with an Amiga 500 through
>>software (no hardware required)?...

>I don't know.

How about a new, or used, version of Transformer.  Wasn't great ( I heard
RUMOUR ALERT!! that the original creators, Simile Systems, who should be
ashamed of themselves, and C-A had a dispute about the release of a better
version.  Commodore insisted that the better version should be free because
the released version was incomplete, while Simile insisted on getting paid
more money for an "upgrade".  I side with C-A on this one ), but since
all I needed was a limited amount of DOS memory, and no graphics, it got
me through a couple of semesters, running dBase and a couple of other
applications.

By the way, any more interest on the net for a real software emulator?
--

* Dan Taylor    * The opinions expressed are my own, and in no way *
* dlt@locus.com * reflect those of Locus Computing Corporation.    *

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) (11/14/90)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>There is no software PC emulator for the A500. You might want to check
>out the software/hardware emulator from Pulsar, that fits in the
>A500(P)'s trap door.

Check out the PC-Power Board from KCS (Holland).

I've been using it for a couple of months now. It's a hardware/software
emulator that supports full CGA, Hercules, Harddisks, 720K & 360K pc-disks.
Absolutely any PC program works on it. Speed is 2-3 times faster than an
PC-XT. It sits in the a500 trapdoor and also provides you with the extra
512K. (So your A501 can be sold). Appart from that there is another 512 K
available as resident ram-disk (in amiga mode ofcourse). Memory in PC-mode
is 704 K for executable programs (yes, 704 not 640). Price is 898,-
(Don't know what that would be in pounds or dollars, it's about 2.5 times
more expensive than the A501). I can tell you that this is one fine piece
of emulator. Frfuture software updates will support even more graphic modes
(maybe VGA).

BTW, I have absolutely no connection the KCS or their PC-Power Board other
than being a very happy user.

  **                 IBM? Is that Amiga compatible ?                   **
  ** Keyboard error or no keyboard present. Press any key to continue. **
  **                                                              IBM. **
  **                  E-mail : martijn@DNLUNX.UUCP                     **

gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gary D Walborn) (11/15/90)

In article <dlt.658543081@werth.la.locus.com>, dlt@locus.com (Dan Taylor) writes:

> By the way, any more interest on the net for a real software emulator?

Dan,
   I think a software IBM emulator for the Amiga would be great!  I have
been using SoftPC for the Mac and my AMAX II (i.e. an Amiga emulating
a Mac emulating a PC).  I teach courses at the University of Pittsburgh
using Turbo C, Turbo Pascal, and IBM assembler, so I need occasional
use of MS-DOS.  The best solution would be an IBM emulator that multi-
tasks and works in a window.  (I had a Bridgeboard in my 2000 but sold
it when I upgraded to a 3000 to free up a slot).

Gary Walborn <gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (11/15/90)

	I saw an ad on AmigaWorld recent issue about this ATonce: an 80286
on a daughterboard w/ a custom gate array to make up most chips of a 286
motherboard, and a 68000; a very small card which can be pluged into the
68000 socket in a A500 (or with a cable, to a A2000 slot, I didn't understand
that one).
	It works as a task on AmigaDOS, requires 1MB, and uses the serial,
parallel port, mouse (as MicroSoft mouse), keyboard, floppy drive (5.25 and
3.5), and harddrive (Pulsar XT board for A500 doesn't support HD).
	Screen emulation includes Herculus, CGA, Toshiba 3100 (?), and some
odd one.
	list price is $398 (pretty good, isn't it :-)
	Clock speed is 7.2Mhz.

	Now I would like to know some more info. Does it work on an acclerated
Amiga? (Seems like it runs as the same clock, so it probably uses the clock from
Amiga). Either run on accelerated clock, or just 7.2MHz (slow but ok)
 	Is it possible to make it run on A3000? (the description on how it
connects to an A2000 is confusing) If yes, I might buy the A3000 without
worrying another $1000 for an A2286 or a clone.

	Please reply by e-mail if possible. I hope the info is useful, I am
not related to the company producing the product (from Germany).
	Thanks in advanced,
	David Tse

--
/*****************************************************************************/
/*    David Tse      Internet: coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (expire 12/31/90)    */

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.045613.4486@ucselx.sdsu.edu>,
coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:

|> 	I saw an ad on AmigaWorld recent issue about this ATonce: an 80286
|> on a daughterboard w/ a custom gate array to make up most chips of a 286
|> motherboard, and a 68000; a very small card which can be pluged into the
|> 68000 socket in a A500 (or with a cable, to a A2000 slot, I didn't
understand
|> that one).
|> 	It works as a task on AmigaDOS, requires 1MB, and uses the serial,
|> parallel port, mouse (as MicroSoft mouse), keyboard, floppy drive (5.25 and
|> 3.5), and harddrive (Pulsar XT board for A500 doesn't support HD).
|> 	Screen emulation includes Herculus, CGA, Toshiba 3100 (?), and some
|> odd one.
|> 	list price is $398 (pretty good, isn't it :-)
|> 	Clock speed is 7.2Mhz.

I saw this one too, so I'd like to add two observations:

1) In the ad, the screen shot shows Windows 3.0 (I assume its 3.0, I'm
   not a Messy-Dos victim).  The bottom of the ad states "MS-DOS and
   Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.".  However, there is no mention
   of Windows in the ad copy.  This leads me to believe that either a) someone
   goofed or b) they found a last minute problem with the unit that forced
   them to pull their claim of Windows compatability
2) Also, by reading the ad literally, it sounds as if any memory beyond
   720K becomes a RAM disk.  Don't users get the option of using an extended
   memory manager to access this stuff?

Overall, the description makes it sounds like a step up from the previous
Pulsar board, since Harddrive support is essential for any serious PC use.

There is a (slightly) longer and (perhaps) less biased mention of this product
in the November issue of AUI (Amiga User Intn'l).

----
Robert Huebner		huebner@aerospace.aero.org
----

ralph@atrp.mit.edu (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) (11/16/90)

I'd go for an emulation package. If one doesn't appear, I'll probably try
and get my hands on an old transformer package (I assume you can't
buy it).

CBM -> Go for it and let simile somehow produce one....

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (11/16/90)

In article <60592@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gary D Walborn) writes:
> In article <dlt.658543081@werth.la.locus.com>, dlt@locus.com (Dan Taylor) writes:
>>
>> By the way, any more interest on the net for a real software emulator?
>
> Dan,
>    I think a software IBM emulator for the Amiga would be great!  I have
> been using SoftPC for the Mac and my AMAX II (i.e. an Amiga emulating

> Gary Walborn <gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

Can this really be true? Is the Amiga old enough that it's users are divided by
a generation gap? How quickly everyone has forgotten the Transformer- in fact,
the Amiga had the first ever software emulator of an IBM--- long before SoftPC.
Sure, it's not speedy on a stock 68000 machine, but hell, it works, and quite
reliably at that. But there it is... no hardware required!
--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (11/16/90)

In article <91553@aerospace.AERO.ORG> huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) writes:
>1) In the ad, the screen shot shows Windows 3.0 (I assume its 3.0, I'm
>   not a Messy-Dos victim).  The bottom of the ad states "MS-DOS and
>   Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.".  However, there is no mention
>   of Windows in the ad copy.  This leads me to believe that either a) someone
>   goofed or b) they found a last minute problem with the unit that forced
>   them to pull their claim of Windows compatability

Naw.  I think they just pay a lawyer about $5000 to write the
disclaimer, so they have to use it everywhere they print something,
just so they get their money's worth.  If you look at practically any
ad paid for by Commodore, there will be little tiny letters on the
bottom of the ad saying that "The Computer for the Creative Mind* is a
registered trademark of Commodore-Amiga, Inc."  This happens even if
they don't actually mention that slogan in the ad.

					-Dan

* The Computer for the Creative Mind is a trademark of
  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gary D Walborn) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov15.205709.35882@eagle.wesleyan.edu>, jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

> Can this really be true? Is the Amiga old enough that it's users are divided by
> a generation gap? How quickly everyone has forgotten the Transformer- in fact,
> the Amiga had the first ever software emulator of an IBM--- long before SoftPC.
> Sure, it's not speedy on a stock 68000 machine, but hell, it works, and quite
> reliably at that. But there it is... no hardware required!
> --
> James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
> jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

NO, I haven't FORGOTTEN about the Transformer. In fact, I HAVE a *legal*
copy of the Transformer (it came with my 5 1/4" drive).  Unfortunately,
I can't get the Transformer to run on my Amiga 3000.  If you know of any
way to do this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!  (Do note, however, that my preference
would be for an emulator that runs in a window on the workbench).

Gary

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/17/90)

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) writes:

> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>
> >There is no software PC emulator for the A500. You might want to check
> >out the software/hardware emulator from Pulsar, that fits in the
> >A500(P)'s trap door.
>
> Check out the PC-Power Board from KCS (Holland).

Thats the same thing! Actually, it's Power PC from Pulsar, USA. KCS is a
member of the Pulsar Group, which is based in the U.S. There are several
companies in this group, and the combination of them all is better. All
products sold from these companies, which includes KCS, Joe's First
Company, and that company that's owned by someone (forget his rel name)
that goes by 'Dr. Oxide'. There are more I forget.

>   ***********************************************************************
>   **                 IBM? Is that Amiga compatible ?                   **
>   ***********************************************************************
>   ** Keyboard error or no keyboard present. Press any key to continue. **
>   **                                                              IBM. **
>   ***********************************************************************
>   **                  E-mail : martijn@DNLUNX.UUCP                     **
>   ***********************************************************************

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (11/29/90)

Believe it or not, boxed copies of the Transformer are still on sale
here in Regina, at $29.95 or $34.95 (in that range somewhere, anyway).
Shocked me, I didn't even know it was officially released/supported!

Bigger shock, it's at one of those new mall-type computer stores, from
a chain that didn't exist when the Transformer was written (ie: doesn't
appear to be just old stock).

- Dave

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer