[comp.sys.amiga] LightWave Question...

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (11/23/90)

PLEASE, someone with a Toaster out there answer this:

        I was just looking through my pile of info on different graphics
        software/hardware/workstations/etc., and came across the insert
        in the Toaster brochure on its software.  Something caught my
        eye in the list of LightWave features.

        "Particle systems with variable motion blur"

        Have any of you played with this feature????  And if so, how
        were your results?  How about render times?

TIA

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (11/27/90)

	I have not played with the motion blur feature much, but basically,
	it will blur all single point 'polygons' based on the points movement
	between frames.  The blur is adjustable by percentage.  It seems
	functional and I have seen a fantastic image by Allen Hastings
	(Lightwave author) using the motion blur....

	-Mike Powell-

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (11/28/90)

In article <5820@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>PLEASE, someone with a Toaster out there answer this:
>        "Particle systems with variable motion blur"
>
>        Have any of you played with this feature????  And if so, how
>        were your results?  How about render times?

I have not done anything with it yet, but what I know about it is
that Lightwave only performs motion blur on single point polygons,
ie. particles. This feature has some sort of intended future purpose
but as of yet, the software does not exploit it. In the mean time,
if you have an object defined by gazillions of 'particles', you can fling
them about at high speeds and watch them blur...oooooohhh! I'll play around
with it tonite, but I'm not expecting much.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

adh@well.sf.ca.us (Allen D. Hastings) (11/29/90)

In article <5820@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>PLEASE, someone with a Toaster out there answer this:
>
>        I was just looking through my pile of info on different graphics
>        software/hardware/workstations/etc., and came across the insert
>        in the Toaster brochure on its software.  Something caught my
>        eye in the list of LightWave features.
>
>        "Particle systems with variable motion blur"
>
>        Have any of you played with this feature????  And if so, how
>        were your results?  How about render times?
>
>Sean

    I've played with that feature a bit.  The rendering times are very short
for scenes with mostly particles, since not that many pixels need to be
shaded.  As for the results, you may have already seen some of the early
tests.  For example, on the AmigaWorld animation tape there is a film called
"March 1989 Demo Reel" which contains a scene of a Voyager spacecraft flying
toward a gas giant planet with some moons.  If you watch the stars, you'll
see them blur properly as the camera pans (I set the camera shutter time to
be half the frame time).  Another example is the explosion of the NewTek
logo in the Penn & Teller video, in which it gets blasted into 2001 sparks
that leave trails and fade out.  In the future I plan to simulate rain and
fountains with LightWave's particles, as well as do more fireworks.

    - Allen Hastings