[comp.sys.amiga] Help with DPaint III Brushes!!

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (11/27/90)

	This problem I have run into is difficult to describe, so
bear with me.  I just purchased DPaint III so that I could work with
some Hires/Interlaced/Overscan images I scanned with Digiview 4.0.
What I scanned were photographs from various sources (e.g. scanning
electron microscope images), and now I want to "shrink" these full
screen images by a factor of 4 to make brushes out of them.  Simple,
I thought, after reading the DPaint III manual.  Just use the rectangular
brush selection feature and resize the brush using HALVE 2 times.  Well,
here is where I ran into the problem.  The images I am working with are
larger than the viewing area, so I have to scroll down and right to see
part of the image using the arrow keys.  Here is what I did.  I selected
the BRUSH tool, went to the upper right corner of my image (using the
cross-hairs as a guide), clicked and held the left mouse button, moved
the mouse to the bottom right corner of the screen (this covers about
70-80% of my image), THEN I used the arrow keys (down and right) to move
the viewing area so that I could see the bottom right corner of my image
(with the left mouse button STILL held down), moved the mouse to the
encompass this corner, then I released the mouse button to PICK UP the
BRUSH.  This worked EXCEPT for one thing.  When I scrolled the image down
and right to reveal the bottom right corner, a portion of the top and left
of the image became hidden from view, as would be expected.  However, upon
examining my BRUSH image, I noticed that the top/left part of the image
which became hidden JUST before I released the mouse button was NOT
included in my brush.  Thus, only the portion of the image which was
visible when I released the mouse button became part of the brush.

	Is there any way to overcome this problem?  Can I "shrink" the
size of an IFF screen WITHOUT having to cut it out as a brush first?
If so, how?  ANY help would be appreciated.  I need the HIRES/INTERLACE/
OVERSCAN on the imagas for an AmigaVision presentation I am going to
do as a Physical Chemistry Seminar in 2 weeks, so I could use help soon.

I hope this makes sense.  If not, please email me and I will try to explain
further.

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

In article <1192@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:

>the BRUSH tool, went to the upper right corner of my image (using the
>cross-hairs as a guide),          ^^^^^

OOPS!  Should say 'left'! ;^)

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

R_Michael_Medwid@cup.portal.com (11/29/90)

I suggest using the page size command to resize the entire picture.  DPaint
should come back with a message like "shrink image??" and say "ok".  As
you'll be entering exact x and y coords, you should be able to be quite
exact in this.  Good Luck!

-Mike

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (11/30/90)

I tried to mail this, but...

Three things to try, which I haven't as my machine is down:
1) turn off the title and tool bars (F9, F10)
2) use the polygon pickup (double click the brush pickup icon) and try again
3) (Sure to work:) do it in patches.  Pick up a part of the screen, shrink it,
   put it down, pick up another part, shrink it, put it down, etc.
Or, as another poster said, use the screen size requestor.  Good luck! -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,