[comp.sys.amiga] menubar screen switching!

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (11/30/90)

From:   nz%"Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz"      "Thomas Farmer" 28-NOV-1990 19
:03:25.21
>   Project for the week.
>
>   It can be annoying to have to flip through lots of screens looking
>for the program you want to get too... This is especially true when the
>number of programs you are running at any one time exceeds about four...
>
>   I was thinking that it would be a nice to have a better way to go
>straight to a screen. Now I know there is one program wjhich allows you
>to select from a menu, but I though it could be better to partly copy an
>idea from multifinder...
>
>   Would it be possible for each program that is running it's own screen
>to put a small icon up on the Workbench menu bar. Then, to change
>programs you would just select the appropriate icon.
>
>   I think this would be quite good...although the user would have to
>create icons for each program they were running. (Some of us enjoy doing
>this anyway!!!)
>
>   However, unlike mutlifinder (brain dead multitasking) I think it
>would be better to have the icons in a row, rather than on top of each
>other.
>
>   Has anyone done a program to do this? Can it be done? Is anyone
>working on something along these lines?

<   Ciao...
>--
>Yes folks, here it is! The unofficial .sig for Sleeping Beagle!
>mail Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz   (I think)

Looks to me like a little inconvenient:
Flip to the WB first and than gadget stuff.
Maybe the following would be a better Idea:
Get a gadget on every screen and/or HOTKEY, that will stack the screens
each screen exactly a menubar lower. Than you can just select the screen you
want and done!. First of all, this will be totally compatible with old program,
that don't have an activate icon, and it will require very little memory use.

Good luck, Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (11/30/90)

>>   It can be annoying to have to flip through lots of screens looking
>>for the program you want to get too... This is especially true when the
>>number of programs you are running at any one time exceeds about four...
>>
>>   I was thinking that it would be a nice to have a better way to go
>>straight to a screen. Now I know there is one program wjhich allows you
>>to select from a menu, but I though it could be better to partly copy an
>>idea from multifinder...

Look at the Program "SWITCHER.LZH" on NewXanth i think.

It'a made to work best with a 3 button mouse. Hit middle button and
a little pannel appears and lists all screens, Click on screen ya want to
go to. Has other abilities, Can run programs, (But sets the priority to 2
for some odd reason) and can do a few other nifty things.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still