[comp.sys.amiga] SAS C 5.10 problems

nobody@KODAK.COM (Lord Bah) (11/07/90)

Just got 5.10, encountered one problem: when it is about to complete
the final link and produce an executable, I get a requester to mount
volume "nil".  I have to cancel this requester twice, then the link
finishes and my executable is present, and appears to be OK.  Phone
support from SAS says this may be because I run the ARP AShell.
Since it would take me days to figure out how to get back to a CBM
shell, I thought I'd ask the net if anyone has used 5.10 with AShell
without problems?

My setup: A500, ARP 1.3, AShell with SKSH 1.5 on top of it, GVP
Impact A500 with a 40M Quantum and 2M RAM to go with the 1M internal,
SAS C installed in DH1:lc.

"Assign" knows NULL as a device, but not Nil.  I do run Dcron in my
startup sequence, redirecting input and output to nil:.  There is no
"nil" in my mountlist.

The problem was not present with Lattice C 5.04 or 5.05.

Any ideas what's happening?

PART 2 - A different problem encountered in both 5.05 and 5.10

C program scattered about many files, during link I get "undefined
symbols" such as _CXV53, _CXD54, etc.  I can't find the correct options
to get the compiler to produce an assembly listing so that I can look
for these, or figure out any other way to track them down.  Help?

Thanks.

(Flame prevention: I didn't send this to csa.tech because I don't
receive it.  If you want, post replies there as long as you email
them to me too.)

    Jeff Van Epps    amusing!lordbah@bisco.kodak.com
                     lordbah@cup.portal.com
                     sun!portal!cup.portal.com!lordbah

walker@unx.sas.com (Doug Walker) (11/27/90)

In article <9011081128.AA14500@bisco.kodak.COM> nobody@Kodak.COM writes:
>Since it would take me days to figure out how to get back to a CBM
>shell,

Why would it take you 'days'?  What's wrong with "NewShell"?  There
have been MANY reports of problems with AShell, not just with the
compiler.  I recommend looking at WShell from Bill Hawes.

>C program scattered about many files, during link I get "undefined
>symbols" such as _CXV53, _CXD54, etc.  I can't find the correct options
>to get the compiler to produce an assembly listing so that I can look
>for these, or figure out any other way to track them down.  Help?

You have to link with the floating point libraries if you use any
floating point variables.  'lc' will do this automatically if
you specify a floating point option (like -ff) or you can tell it
to do it by specifying -Lm instead of -L.  If you don't use lc,
BLink with the math library BEFORE the normal lc.lib or lcr.lib or
whatever you use.  See the 5.10 update documentation, pages
G20-9 and G20-10 for more information on which library to use
for your options.  (If you aren't using any floating point options,
use lcm.lib and lc.lib ; remember that lcm.lib comes FIRST on the
link line.)

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)460-7430 =
 *|. o.| ||                                          1200/2400/9600 Dual
  | o  |//     For all you do, this bug's for you!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

lordbah@bisco.kodak.COM (Lord Bah) (11/30/90)

Doug Walker says:

> In article <9011081128.AA14500@bisco.kodak.COM> nobody@Kodak.COM writes:
                                                  ^^^^^^
          Well, yeah, that's what it said, but I put my real address
          in the signature...

> >Since it would take me days to figure out how to get back to a CBM
> >shell,
>
> Why would it take you 'days'?  What's wrong with "NewShell"?  There
> have been MANY reports of problems with AShell, not just with the
> compiler.  I recommend looking at WShell from Bill Hawes.

"NewShell" gives me an AShell.  I think going back to CBM shell would
mean fiddling with shell-seg or whatever it is, newshell, newcli, and
who knows what else.  Not to get into religious shell discussions, I'll
just say I've never seen any other problem with AShell.  I'd be
interested in any bug list.

> You have to link with the floating point libraries if you use any
> floating point variables.

Thanks.  Also thank you to the many people who have responded thus to
me in email.  This was indeed the problem.