[comp.sys.amiga] Changing of the hardisk SCSI ID?

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (11/20/90)

[-]

   Hi!  On a A3000, how do you change the SCSI ID of the supplied hardisk?
(typically Prodrive 50 and 200 megs).  I haven't found any information in
the supplied docs.  Is there a software way to do it (like the program
BattMem for the SCSI ID of the controller)?

   Thanks, Daniel.
--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\

In <1990Nov20.044938.3585@IRO.UMontreal.CA>, martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:
>[-]
>
>   Hi!  On a A3000, how do you change the SCSI ID of the supplied hardisk?
>(typically Prodrive 50 and 200 megs).  I haven't found any information in
>the supplied docs.  Is there a software way to do it (like the program
>BattMem for the SCSI ID of the controller)?

The SCSI ID of a hard drive is set by jumpers on the drive itself.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

In article <1990Nov20.044938.3585@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:
>   Hi!  On a A3000, how do you change the SCSI ID of the supplied hardisk?
>(typically Prodrive 50 and 200 megs).  I haven't found any information in
>the supplied docs.  Is there a software way to do it (like the program
>BattMem for the SCSI ID of the controller)?

	It's set by jumpers on the drive (unit 6 from the factory).  Pretty
easy to change.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "If your application does not run correctly,
do not blame the operating system."  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (11/21/90)

I can't speak for the 50 or 200, as I only have the Quantum ProDrive 40S.
The ID jumpers are in the corner of the bottom.  There are two sets of
jumpers (three pairs of posts in each set.)  One set has a label on each
pair, such as EP, something, soemthing.  This will have a lone silver
jumper.  Meanwhile, the other sets of jumpers are unlabeled.  There
should be two black blocks on two of the pins.  This means ID=6.  Just
do binary posts.  1,2,4 are the post values.  Enjoy!

--
John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) (11/21/90)

In article <2252@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca
(Larry Phillips) writes:

>The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |
>| \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca -or- uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips |
>|        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322  -or-  76703.4322@compuserve.com        |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

And just what are you suggesting ??

That one ( the IBM PC ) is judged by the company that one keeps ??

:-) :-) :-)

--
  David P.M. Scollnik         |   UUCP:   utstat!davids
  University of Toronto       |  bitnet:  davids@utstat.utoronto

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (11/30/90)

In article <2252@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>The SCSI ID of a hard drive is set by jumpers on the drive itself.

On some, at least, it's done in software (setting NVRAM "jumpers" with a
special program which talks directly to the SCSI controller associated
with the drive); one example: the DataFrame series for the Mac.  They
work fine on Amy once the SCSI ID is set correctly.

--
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
Atherton Technology, 1333 Bordeaux Dr., Sunnyvale, CA, 94089