[comp.sys.amiga] \amiga dealer prices

dale@b17b.INGR.COM (Dale Rogers) (11/29/90)

I've noticed that it's possible to find sources for PC and MAC systems that
are well below the suggested manufacturers' prices.  Are there mail order
companies or local dealers out there that sell Amigas cheaper than buying
it straight through Amiga?  The reason for my asking is I never see Amiga
systems for sale in the marketing adds in computer magazines.  I see plenty
of Amiga software and peripherals but no systems.  It would be nice to know
that I can get an Amiga A3000, outfitted the way I want it, for under the
39k figure I have been given.  Am I looking in the wrong places?

Thanks.

...Dale_______________________

Dale R. Rogers _________________________________________________
Intergarph Corp.                             Phone: 205-730-6712
One Madison Industrial Park      EMAIL____________________________________
Huntsville, Al 35807-4201        ingr!b17b!camelot!dale
MailStop: IW17B5                 ingr.com!b17b!camelot!dale@uunet.uu.net

        There is an old saying that a man is seen in
        three different ways.

                "The way others see him.
                 The way he sees himself.
                 and
                 The way he really is."

                                      -unknown Chinese origin
                                       (unknown to me anyway)

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (11/30/90)

In article <593@b17b.INGR.COM> dale@b17b.INGR.COM (Dale Rogers) writes:
>I've noticed that it's possible to find sources for PC and MAC systems that
>are well below the suggested manufacturers' prices.  Are there mail order
>companies or local dealers out there that sell Amigas cheaper than buying
>it straight through Amiga?  The reason for my asking is I never see Amiga
>systems for sale in the marketing adds in computer magazines.  I see plenty
>of Amiga software and peripherals but no systems.  It would be nice to know
>that I can get an Amiga A3000, outfitted the way I want it, for under the
>39k figure I have been given.  Am I looking in the wrong places?

Commodore (in the USA at least) is trying actively to discourage mail
order sales, to ensure that users have dealer support.  Thus, they do
not honor warrantees for Amigas sold mail order, and they don't
distribute Amigas to companies that sell mail order.  There are,
however exactly two dealers that I know of that still sell mail order
Amigas.  One has a very bad reputation, and I don't know anything
about the other, except that you won't get a warrantee.  These sorts
of dealers are "grey market" dealers.

There are grey markets for Macs and IBM compatibles, also.  Not all
are mail order houses.  However, I'll bet many of those very low
prices come from grey market dealers.

You can get some good prices from grey market dealers for the same
machine, if you are willing to take a risk.  I'm not.

I'm a little worried about your $39k figure.  You'd have a hard time
spending more than $6k on an Amiga (and that's one HOT Amiga).  Your
best bet to getting a good price on an Amiga is to enroll in the
nearest university, buy the Amiga at a 38% (or so) discount, and then
drop out.  Of course, you may discover that you like school so much
that you'll stay in.  The other option is to register as a developer,
and buy an 3000UX-200 for, um, I forget, but it was a good price.  Of
course, you'll have to write some software, but that's good too.

OR ELSE, a lot of mail order houses have actual stores.  I know that
Creative Computers (at least) has at least three stores.  You can walk
in there and they will be absolutely delighted to sell you any Amiga
you want.  However, you'll note that they don't advertise computers
for sale in the magazines....  Creative Computers has prices in the
store the same as the discount prices they advertise, so I would
expect that they would sell you a computer at a discount, also (I
could be wrong).  Certainly, a big place that does mail order can
offer better prices than a little hole in the wall with low volume.

Disclaimer:  I don't associate with Creative Computers.  I never even
bought anything from them.  I was going to buy Dark Castle 2 from
them, but they let me test it on the 3000 they have in the shop, and
it wouldn't even load.  I hate copy protection!!!

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.