[comp.sys.amiga] Oh, yeah, about the A3000/UX questions...

In <4831@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Pat Lipo) writes:
>Hello, again....
>
>  One question which I stupidly omitted, which was the underlying theme of
>everything I was asking...
>
>--Should I buy an A3000 NOW or should I wait, as it seems there is a lot
>happening in the Amiga world right now.  If I can upgrade to UNIX
>easily but it won't be available for a long time, I'd just as soon buy a 3000
>now and get crackin'!  I guess what I want to know is if it's a good idea,
>seeing as I plan to get UNIX anyway, and may get a good price on the package?

There is always a lot happening in the Amiga world. If things are not actually
happening, they are just about to, or scheduled to, or have been previewed or
rumored or whatever.

A 3000UX is just a handy bundle of Amiga bits and some software, so if you want
a 3000, and you want Unix, you may as well buy now as later. Of course your
mileage may vary, if CBM happens to market the Unix separately at a
ridiculously high price, or if they only offer the bundle, but I don't think
that will happen.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Pat Lipo) (11/28/90)

Hello, again....

  One question which I stupidly omitted, which was the underlying theme of
everything I was asking...

--Should I buy an A3000 NOW or should I wait, as it seems there is a lot
happening in the Amiga world right now.  If I can upgrade to UNIX
easily but it won't be available for a long time, I'd just as soon buy a 3000
now and get crackin'!  I guess what I want to know is if it's a good idea,
seeing as I plan to get UNIX anyway, and may get a good price on the package?

Thanx,
  Pat
+-.                 "Bad joss!  You were beaten and robbed for
! !               $3.6 billion!"
+-'                    --Anyone remember the REALLY old Apple II
! at  (Spam?)              game called "Taipan"?
        lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu  or  lipo@wiscmac3.BitNet

In article <4831@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Pat Lipo) writes:

>--Should I buy an A3000 NOW or should I wait, as it seems there is a lot
>happening in the Amiga world right now.  If I can upgrade to UNIX
>easily but it won't be available for a long time, I'd just as soon buy a 3000
>now and get crackin'!  I guess what I want to know is if it's a good idea,
>seeing as I plan to get UNIX anyway, and may get a good price on the package?

	You can get Unix NOW, but in a Beta pre-release version.
The update I am almost certain is free. The official release
seems to be at Uniforum which is in January.

>Thanx,
>  Pat
>+-.                 "Bad joss!  You were beaten and robbed for
>! !               $3.6 billion!"
>+-'                    --Anyone remember the REALLY old Apple II
>! at  (Spam?)              game called "Taipan"?
>        lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu  or  lipo@wiscmac3.BitNet

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (11/29/90)

In article <2274@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <4831@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Pat Lipo) writes:
>>Hello, again....
>>
>>  One question which I stupidly omitted, which was the underlying theme of
>>everything I was asking...
>>
>>--Should I buy an A3000 NOW or should I wait, as it seems there is a lot
>>happening in the Amiga world right now.  If I can upgrade to UNIX
>>easily but it won't be available for a long time, I'd just as soon buy a 3000
>>now and get crackin'!  I guess what I want to know is if it's a good idea,
>>seeing as I plan to get UNIX anyway, and may get a good price on the package?
>
>There is always a lot happening in the Amiga world. If things are not actually
>happening, they are just about to, or scheduled to, or have been previewed or
>rumored or whatever.
>
>A 3000UX is just a handy bundle of Amiga bits and some software, so if you want
>a 3000, and you want Unix, you may as well buy now as later. Of course your
>mileage may vary, if CBM happens to market the Unix separately at a
>ridiculously high price, or if they only offer the bundle, but I don't think
>that will happen.

Me neither....

You will be able to buy UNIX from Commodore for your A3000 after the formal
product launch.

--

Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380

gest_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) (11/30/90)

In <16134@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:

>You will be able to buy UNIX from Commodore for your A3000 after the formal
>product launch.

	For how much?  Is there any preliminary price guessing?

>Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
>1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380
>diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com  215-431-9142
>MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!! AMIGA!

Gavin Stark
gest_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (11/30/90)

In article <16134@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
-In article <2274@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
->In <4831@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Pat Lipo) writes:
->>Hello, again....
->>
->>  One question which I stupidly omitted, which was the underlying theme of
->>everything I was asking...
->>
->>--Should I buy an A3000 NOW or should I wait, as it seems there is a lot
->>happening in the Amiga world right now.  If I can upgrade to UNIX
** stuff deleted **
-
-You will be able to buy UNIX from Commodore for your A3000 after the formal
-product launch.
-
-
-
---
-
-
-Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
-1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380
-diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com  215-431-9142
-MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!! AMIGA!

How about the promised Un*x for my A2620 card accelerated 2000?

Tommy Petersson

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (11/30/90)

In article <10695@ur-cc.UUCP> gest_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gavin Stark) writes:
>In <16134@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
>

>>You will be able to buy UNIX from Commodore for your A3000 after the formal
>>product launch.
>
>	For how much?  Is there any preliminary price guessing?

Sorry, Other than the info I have already released about the seed/devloper
prices.... I wouldn't want to "guess" quite yet.