[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaVision scripts

rmitchel@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bob Mitchell) (11/24/90)

Hello,
  I recently was able to see a "real" Apple Hypercard application...
  The program was titled Manhole or something similar.  The object was to
  explore a universe of sorts (intended for younger children.)  The whole
  thing took about 5 megs of disk space and was very impressive...
  I am not sure whether I was impressed with the program, its art, sound, or
  animation or just the reaction of the kids I saw using it...

  And now here's the question...has anyone written anything at all for
  AmigaVision that is capable of convincing someone that indeed it is
  more powerful than any other multimedia program.  I would be seriously
  interested in seeing some of these as the demos from Commodore while
  helpful in teaching its use, did very little for showing off the Amiga
  or AmigaVision.

  Additionally, if anyone is developing software like Manhole or anything
  else using AmigaVision I would be interested in learning about your
  project...

  Please E-mail responses and I'll post a summary if interest dictates...

Bob Mitchell (rmitchel@jarthur.claremont.edu)
***Disclaimer: Mudd doesn't have any responsibility for this except for
               admitting me.  So blame my roommate and not them...

parker@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Jeff Parker) (11/25/90)

In article <9786@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rmitchel@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bob Mitchell) writes:
>Hello,
>  I recently was able to see a "real" Apple Hypercard application...
>  The program was titled Manhole or something similar.  The object was to
>  explore a universe of sorts (intended for younger children.)  The whole
>  thing took about 5 megs of disk space and was very impressive...
>  I am not sure whether I was impressed with the program, its art, sound, or
>  animation or just the reaction of the kids I saw using it...
>
>  And now here's the question...has anyone written anything at all for
>  AmigaVision that is capable of convincing someone that indeed it is
>  more powerful than any other multimedia program.  I would be seriously
>  interested in seeing some of these as the demos from Commodore while
>  helpful in teaching its use, did very little for showing off the Amiga
>  or AmigaVision.

Recently, my CBM Edu. Rep. showed off something by Scholastic Software.
Yep, I said Scholastic, as in a worldwide leader in education.  It was
a very impressive history lesson on the civil war times in America.
It used a combination of live video (I think Scholastic produced the
disk) and stills from the laser disk.  My rep said that he got the disk
from a guy in Chicago and it was the only one in the area.  It even

I'm pretty sure I saw a blurb in one of the magazines that Scholastic
will be coming out with a large number of these disks/programs.  I can't
wait.

Jeff P.

--
Jeffrey D. Parker (no philosopher) | By all means marry; if you get a good wife,
INET: parker@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | you'll become happy; if you get a bad one,

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (11/27/90)

	Unfortunately, AmigaVision has a very difficult time doing SOME
	of the things that HyperCard does quite well....  I have not
	seen the stack that you are refering to, but AmigaVision is
	really a multimedia package, and HyperCard is a Hypermedia package,
	and there are some differences.... First of all, HyperCard
	has it's own full scripting language called HyperTalk that is
	the centerpiece of power for Hypercard....  The closest thing
	to HyperCard for Amiga is UltraCard Plus... and the soon-to-be-released
	FOUNDATION (from Impulse Inc.).

	-Mike Powell-

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (11/30/90)

In article <9786@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rmitchel@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bob Mitchell) writes:
>  And now here's the question...has anyone written anything at all for
>  AmigaVision that is capable of convincing someone that indeed it is
>  more powerful than any other multimedia program.  I would be seriously
>  interested in seeing some of these as the demos from Commodore while
>  helpful in teaching its use, did very little for showing off the Amiga
>  or AmigaVision.

Commodore has put out a wonderful dealer demo for the Amiga which consists
of a videodisc and an AmigaVision script.  The material on the videodisc is
very nice.  Rapid fire images combined with Amiga graphics and animations.
It is a good example of AmigaVision.  It shows off AV's agility in controlling
the videodisc player, the interaction with the customer, and syncing the Amiga
generated graphics, animations, and audio.  It also shows off multitasking by
allowing the user to select various objects, edit them, define paths for the
objects, and then handing off the information to background processes to churn
out an animation.  AV then plays the anim over a user selected video segment.
The stuff off the videodisc is just really cool to watch.  Commodore must have
gone to a new production house.  It is light years ahead of any of the other
marketing material I have seen for the Amiga.
--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and