[comp.sys.amiga] VT100 tester

arutherf@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Andrew Rutherford) (11/29/90)

A couple of days back, someone posted to the net regarding an interactive vt100
  compatibility tester, and claimed this could be found at your local archiver.
Unfortunatly, I have lost the article, and now have need of this tester, and
  can't find the program anywhere. Can someone please email me the address and
  directory of an archiver that has this program?
Thanks,
	Andrew.
--
Andrew Rutherford			arutherf@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au
+61 8 228 4782		Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween

in <1946@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> writes:

	A couple of days back, someone posted to the net regarding an
	interactive vt100 compatibility tester, and claimed this could be
	found at your local archiver.  Unfortunatly, I have lost the article,
	and now have need of this tester, and can't find the program anywhere.
	Can someone please email me the address and directory of an archiver
	that has this program?

Sorry, that was my original posting and I neglected to indicate where the
test was to be found (since its mention was only incidental to the gist of
the message thread).

Enclosed is a copy of one of my postings in this regards.  The program's
name is "vttest" and can also be found, as I discovered recently, at the
archive site wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (IP 26.2.0.74).

And, note, it's also on a "Fish Disk".  Sheesh, the nerve of some people who
recently claimed the "old" AmigaLibDisks should be tossed out with the
fishwrap (no pun intended :-).   An archive is an archive is an archive, and
should be preserved FOREVER.  Period.  What would you think of the Library
of Congress tossing out the Declaration of Independence or the US Constitution
simply because they're old and have been "amended"?  Double sheesh.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Date: 14 Dec 89 10:06:13 GMT
Portal-Origin: Usenet
Portal-Type: text
Portal-Bytes: 2157
Portal-Location: 1074.3.3641.1

Many have asked me how they could acquire the "Per Lindberg VT100 Validation
Suite" test program I mentioned in a posting pertaining to something else.  Due
to an email backlog, I'm presently unable to answer personally, hence this
net posting to unix-pc.general and comp.sys.att.

If you have uucp and/or FTP access to uunet.uu.net:

	/usr/spool/ftp/comp.sources.unix/volume7/vttest:
	total 35
	-r--r--r--  1 rsalz        8824 Dec  1  1986 part1.Z
	-r--r--r--  1 rsalz       26029 Dec  1  1986 part2.Z

If you have uucp and/or FTP access to tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (aka osu-cis):

	comp.sources.unix/Volume07:
	-rw-r--r--  1 bob          9016 Sep  2  1986 vttest.1.Z
	-rw-r--r--  1 bob         26192 Sep  2  1986 vttest.2.Z

If you have access to the Fred Fish Freely Redistributable Software Library
for the Amiga:

	This is disk 35 of the freely distributable AMIGA software library.

	Vttest		Program to test compatibility of vt100-compatible
			terminals and terminal emulators.  Requires the
			resources of a Unix system to test an Amiga hosted
			vt100 emulator.  (I haven't yet found one that even
			comes close to passing this test!).
			Author: Per Lindberg

If you have access to any other archive site of comp.sources.unix (or the
older mod.sources), you can also easily find it there.

And, finally, here is the header from the original posting by Rich $alz to
mod.sources as I grabbed it over 3 years ago:

	Article 388 of mod.sources:
	From: sources-request@mirror.UUCP
	Newsgroups: mod.sources
	Subject: v07i016:  Test VT100 features, Part01/02
	Date: 2 Sep 86 21:07:43 GMT
	Sender: rs@mirror.UUCP

	Submitted by: seismo!enea!suadb!lindberg (Per Lindberg QZ)
	Mod.sources: Volume 7, Issue 16
	Archive-name: vttest/Part01

	[  See my comments at the beginning of the README.  -r$  ]

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

-------------------- end enclosed material --------------------

martens@iguana.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (12/01/90)

In article <36336@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

	[ ... ]

>fishwrap (no pun intended :-).   An archive is an archive is an archive, and
>should be preserved FOREVER.  Period.  What would you think of the Library
>of Congress tossing out the Declaration of Independence or the US Constitution
>simply because they're old and have been "amended"?  Double sheesh.

	[ ... ]

Actually, didn't the state of Pennsylvania recently admit to
misplacing an original, hand written copy og the Bill of Rights?
--
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

	"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone" -- Hobbes.