[comp.sys.amiga] So what about the new Handshake?

oovvoo@mixcom.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (11/29/90)

A week or so ago, someone mentioned that a new version of Handshake (the
terminal emulator) was announced in some magazine, and said to be available
on People*Link or some such place.  I've been watching the postings in all
of the comp.sys.amiga.* groups, but haven't seen any followups. (I've also
been checking in abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov every day or so, with no luck so
far...)  So, was this a real announcement, or was it a hoax, or isn't anyone
in this newsgroup active on People*Link?  Or did I dream up the whole thing?

BTW, Handshake has always been one of my favorite programs (I have version
2.12).  I'd use it more "if only" it had zmodem (and ARexx, and ... :-)
Seriously, since I do part of my work on a VAX under VMS, I really
appreciate the completeness of his emulation of a VT100/220, but the
terminal program I use the most right now is ATalkIII (hi Marco :-), which I
also like a lot, but it seems that the major challenge in using AT3 is
keeping up with the updates (I'm hopelessly out of date with version 1.2,
but I've already upgraded at least 3 times since 1.0c, and I'm getting tired
of all of those $8.00 or $10.00 checks.  But, I still appreciate that the
program IS getting enhanced & upgraded periodically.  It'd be nice if there
were some way to subscribe to an update service at a lower cost...)

Thanks in advance if someone can help me locate this beast, whatever the new
version number is (seems to me it's something like 2.20b)

	- Mike
--
  - Mike Shawaluk            | If you turn it over, but don't let go,
	oovvoo@mixcom.UUCP         |  you will be upside down.

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (11/29/90)

In article <39@mixcom.UUCP> oovvoo@mixcom.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>A week or so ago, someone mentioned that a new version of Handshake (the
>terminal emulator) was announced in some magazine, and said to be available
>.........  So, was this a real announcement, or was it a hoax
>......... Or did I dream up the whole thing?
>
>	- Mike
>--
>  - Mike Shawaluk            | If you turn it over, but don't let go,
>	oovvoo@mixcom.UUCP         |  you will be upside down.

                        June 12 1990

From eric@haberfellner.UUCP Tue Jun 12 16:28:16 1990
From: eric@haberfellner.UUCP (Eric Haberfellner)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Handshake
Date: 12 Jun 90 20:28:16 GMT
Gosh, all these nice words about HandShake. I have a news version almost
ready to release. AREXX support, and external protocols, and printer
support, as well as serial devices other than serial.device. Should be out
in a month or so. Just checking compatibility with AmigaDos 2.0 at the
moment. Other goodies as well, can't remember them all at the moment.

Eric Haberfellner (author of Handshake as well as other things).

This Message brought to you by Eric Haberfellner      ____
...utgpu!mnetor!becker!haberfellner!eric              |                |   |
                                                      |                |   |
Via Loftus UUCP running on an Amiga 1000.             |___ __     __   |___|
                                                      |    |_| | /     |   |
"The amazing thing about a dancing dog is not how     |    | \ | \__   |   |
 well it dances, but that it dances at all"           |___             |   |o

Now that I re-think your message, perhaps each of us is dreaming!!
Eh Eric??
                                         Herb

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cs.albany.edu  or  hb136@ALBNYVMS.BITNET

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (11/30/90)

I also read the announcement for Handshake 2.20, and copied down the PLINK
code number and downloaded it. It seems that the Amiga World PD guide is
listing version 2.12a....that is what I got after my download two nights ago.

:)

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov29.183625.1645@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>I also read the announcement for Handshake 2.20, and copied down the PLINK
>code number and downloaded it. It seems that the Amiga World PD guide is
>listing version 2.12a....that is what I got after my download two nights ago.
>
>:)

Thought I explained this before. I'll explain it again....
When I was writing the Telecomm article for the Dec. Amiga World I checked
with Eric Haberfellner (author of Handshake) concerning a new 2.20b
version I had heard about from Leo Schwab. Eric gave me its features
list and when I told him when the article would be on newsstands he
indicated to me that 2.20b would most likely be out by then.  This turned
out not to be the case.  The newest version we have on Plink is still
2.12a which is what you would've downloaded "two nights ago" however
your message sounds as though you were somehow deluded into believing
you were downloading 2.20b and only realized it was 2.12a after you
finished downloading it?  The file header and description for Handshake
online on Plink CLEARLY indicates it is version 2.12a. And that's the
file number listed in my AW article (which was added by their editors
along with file names or numbers for other services).

2.20b, if that turns out to be the version number Eric decides to use
for the next release of his program, will be on Plink as soon as he
decides it's done and releases it to the public.

Lest anyone else be confused by what's in my article, ATalk III is now
at version 1.3e.  Just goes to show how often some Amiga software gets
upgraded and the version number revved but when you're working with
the 3-month lead time imposed by most magazines you do the best you can
with the facts you can get at the time.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV