[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with Amiga Word Perfect

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (11/28/90)

I have Word Perfect V4.1 for the Amiga and would like to be able to import IBM
V5.1 files, but Amiga WP (or the version that I have at least) only read
IBM V4.2.  Does anyone know of a converstion program (either for the IBM or the
Amiga) that would let me import IBM V5.1 files?
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \			Gallant Knight of a rather
| \  | \  |   /				large, squarish table someplace
|  \ |  \ |--<	      SirOtto		in the West Panhandle of Florida.
|   \|   \|___\____/

Michael E. Cerrato	Internet: SIROTTO%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
University of Florida

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (11/28/90)

Sure, just export IBM 4.2 from WP5.1.  Works fine for me.
After all, you can't use any of those extra 5.x functions!
--
John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

glee@tigris.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (11/29/90)

In article <00940593.E8F6D900@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU> sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) writes:
>I have Word Perfect V4.1 for the Amiga and would like to be able to import IBM
>V5.1 files, but Amiga WP (or the version that I have at least) only read
>IBM V4.2.  Does anyone know of a converstion program (either for the IBM or the
>Amiga) that would let me import IBM V5.1 files?

IBM WP5.1 can export to 4.2 format, and unless you use the few odd features
that 4.2 has and 4.1 doesn't, it works fine.
--
Godfrey Lee
cognos!alzabo!tigris!glee

aites@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Jim Aites) (11/30/90)

I am currently using Word Perfect 4.1 (Amiga) at home, and using WP 5.1
(IBM - HPVectra) at work. The *only* way that I have been able to move files
between the two different disk formats is to use Msh (PD) to copy the 'text'
file formats. Yeah, I tried the 'transparent' IBM mode as well, but like
yourself had problems. Using Msh is a tad unweildly, but it works to my satis-
faction. The main reason I am bothering with this format thing at all is
because I can dump my 'home' files to a LaserJet IId at work. Neat!

Jim 8')s   <- yes this is a personal smiley-face, I have a beard and my last
           name sounds like 'eights'.

jdege@ (Jeff Dege) (12/01/90)

In article <930001@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> aites@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Jim Aites) writes:
>I am currently using Word Perfect 4.1 (Amiga) at home, and using WP 5.1
>(IBM - HPVectra) at work. The *only* way that I have been able to move files
>between the two different disk formats is to use Msh (PD) to copy the 'text'
>file formats. Yeah, I tried the 'transparent' IBM mode as well, but like
>yourself had problems. Using Msh is a tad unweildly, but it works to my satis-
>faction. The main reason I am bothering with this format thing at all is
>because I can dump my 'home' files to a LaserJet IId at work. Neat!

   WP doesn't and never did pretend to be able to read and write IBM
format disks.  It reads and writes IBM WP files, once you've managed to
get them on an Amiga-readable disk.  Reading IBM disks is a completely
different issue.  (But I agree, Msh is one of the more sensible ways
of getting IBM files into an Amiga.)