[comp.sys.amiga] *.au Sound Files

rlittle@dogmatix.cs.uoregon.edu (Robert A. Little) (12/01/90)

I've notices a bunch of sound directories popping up on FTP sites, and many
of them have the suffix ".au" -- is this the type of file format, or is
it an archive format...is there any way of playing these samples on the amiga?

--rob

rlittle@cs.uoregon.edu         |  "Though his mind is not for rent,

In <1990Dec1.081743.235@cs.uoregon.edu>, rlittle@dogmatix.cs.uoregon.edu (Robert A. Little) writes:
>I've notices a bunch of sound directories popping up on FTP sites, and many
>of them have the suffix ".au" -- is this the type of file format, or is
>it an archive format...is there any way of playing these samples on the amiga?

The .au suffix is common on sound files generated on SPARCsations. It is uLaw
encoded, and there is an Amiga program that will convert the file to SMUS
format. It is called ulaw2iff.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.