[comp.sys.amiga] JRComm doesn't like my Modem

Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com (11/29/90)

I've read a lot of good things about JRComm from this group, so I decided
to give it a try.  PROBLEM: JRComm doesn't talk to my Modem.  When I try to
dial a number, nothing happens.   I have a SupraModem 2400, which works
just fine with every other comm program I've tried.   I've looked through
the JRComm docs and my Modem docs, and I have no idea what the problem is.
Anybody got a helpful suggestion?

Lee		Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (11/30/90)

First of all, you have to know whether your phone is Touch Tone or Pulse.
When you dial a number, does the phone make beeps or does it click? If it
clicks, you have to probably go to the MODEM option in the second to last
menu (I forgot the menu title). Or try the TERMINAL settings. Look for a
line that reads "ATDT". This is for Touch Tone phones. Change it to read
ATDP for your phone.

Also try to enter commands by hand; instead of using the auto dial feature,
type the command ATDP 5551234 for pulse systems or ATDT 5551234 for tone.
The phone number, of course, is the number you are dialing.

AT is the command that tells the modem to change something. ATA answers the
phone, ATH0 hangs up the phone, etc. :)

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (12/01/90)

In article <36319@cup.portal.com>, Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:

>I've read a lot of good things about JRComm from this group, so I decided
>to give it a try.  PROBLEM: JRComm doesn't talk to my Modem.  When I try to
>dial a number, nothing happens.   I have a SupraModem 2400, which works
>just fine with every other comm program I've tried.   I've looked through
>the JRComm docs and my Modem docs, and I have no idea what the problem is.
>Anybody got a helpful suggestion?

I am using JRComm and a SupraModem 2400 and have never had any problem . . .

In addition to what was already suggested, make sure your modem is set up like
the manual specifies.  If it is just plain not working then that is probably
not the problem, but if you are getting some kind of error from JRComm, that
might be.  Also, check in the General set-up window (in the Options menu) for
the "Serial Device" option.  You should see "serial.device" there (assuming you
are using the built in serial port).  If you copied JrComm from someone else,
it might be right.  Other than that, I have no suggestions . . .
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \			Gallant Knight of a rather
| \  | \  |   /				large, squarish table someplace
|  \ |  \ |--<	      SirOtto		in the West Panhandle of Florida.
|   \|   \|___\____/

Michael E. Cerrato	Internet: SIROTTO%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
University of Florida

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (12/01/90)

In article <36319@cup.portal.com> Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:

>I've read a lot of good things about JRComm from this group, so I decided
>to give it a try.  PROBLEM: JRComm doesn't talk to my Modem.  When I try to
>dial a number, nothing happens.   I have a SupraModem 2400, which works
>just fine with every other comm program I've tried.   I've looked through
>the JRComm docs and my Modem docs, and I have no idea what the problem is.
>Anybody got a helpful suggestion?
>
>Lee		Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com

I ran into another guy on Plink recently who described the same problem
you did. Turns out when he downloaded, unpacked, and installed JRComm
(1.01) he never checked the baud rate setting.  It came setup/defaulted
to 9600 so of course he couldn't send any commands, including his
first attempt at a dialing command, to his 2400 baud modem. Soon as he
changed the baud rate to 2400, all was fine and the program functioned
well for him.  Many terminal programs look at the Preferences setting
for baud rate and inherit it... this has caused many people using such
programs to set and save their preferences baud rate to 2400. If those
same people then download and try to start using JRComm, which fires
up the first time set to 9600, it's not going to work. Could that be
the cause of the problem you were having?

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (12/02/90)

In article <6016@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>well for him.  Many terminal programs look at the Preferences setting
>for baud rate and inherit it... this has caused many people using such
>programs to set and save their preferences baud rate to 2400. If those
>same people then download and try to start using JRComm, which fires
>up the first time set to 9600, it's not going to work. Could that be
>the cause of the problem you were having?

One of the best things I love about JRCOMM is that it has auto-baud
rate!!  When I have my modem plugged in, it defaults to 2400 baud that i
saved with jrcomm preferences....but if I plug in my 19.2k direct
connect serial cable, it defaults to 19.2k that I set in preferences!
:-)

JRCOMM is the only term I see that does this.  True it may seem small,
but it sure beats going through a file requestor to load the preferneces
each time you use want to modem....

Phil Dietz

>Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
>"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    565 MEGS! 2 lines
252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  AMIGA, IBM, MAC, GIFS
    IBM'ers and Mac'ers are shopping for a life.  Amiga the best!