[comp.sys.amiga] LZ "Bug"

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (11/28/90)

Well I was using LZ for a While, (It seemed to be the Best Lharc-ing
Program Out) But i discovered somthing weird.

I got a Archive that LZ can't De-Lharc but On the Unix Machine
I have Lharc On the File gets De-lharced Fine.

LZ just complains

Bad file header --aborting

I can't even List the other files with LZ...

Sigh... Looks Like I'm going back to Lharc......
It could of been a transimission error, but i used Zmodem and it
diden't say there was any errors.. (it has errorchecking too)

Has anyone else  noticed this?
--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>I got a Archive that LZ can't De-Lharc but On the Unix Machine
>I have Lharc On the File gets De-lharced Fine.

>LZ just complains
>Bad file header --aborting

I had the same problem with a file using LHunarc. Using Lharc on it worked
fine .. BUT:
>Sigh... Looks Like I'm going back to Lharc......

The latest version of Lharc seems to have a problem also. It complains about
unlharcing the last file in an archive, something about a Bad CRC. But the
resultant file is the right length and seems to be ok.  On my unix machine
the file de-lharcs with no complaints. I haven't played with lharc enough
to find out if it does this with every file, but it has done it on the
3 or 4 files that I have tried it on so far.

There is another bug I have found using LHunarc. I will attempt to describe
it:

Say you have an archive that has the following files:

First/file1
First/file2
First/file3

And you want to put the files into a subdirectory on df1: called Games
(df1:games/)

so you cd to df1:games/ and lhunarc the archive. It makes a subdir under games
called First and puts the files into it. Now back up to df1:/ and do a dir.
You will see df1:First/ and df1:games/
Look in df1:First/ and it will be empty. For some strange reason Lhunarc createsthe directory in the correct place like it should, but it also creates it
on the root directory also.

I am running an Amiga 1000, 512K, Amigados 1.3, Shell 4.01 and using Lhunarc
.96

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (geoff c wing) (12/01/90)

In <yorkw.659762788@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>Well I was using LZ for a While, (It seemed to be the Best Lharc-ing
>Program Out) But i discovered somthing weird.

LZ is buggy, but fast. You should only use it for dearc'ing and use LHArc1.3
for everything else.

>I got a Archive that LZ can't De-Lharc but On the Unix Machine
>I have Lharc On the File gets De-lharced Fine.

WHAT? Didn't quite get this, but I assume that you arc'ed the file on Unix and
tried to dearc it on Amiga(?). Unless you have an LHARC program on Unix which
has generic compatibility(for protection bits) you can't do it (easily).

[..... stuff deleted .....]

>Sigh... Looks Like I'm going back to Lharc......
>It could of been a transimission error, but i used Zmodem and it
>diden't say there was any errors.. (it has errorchecking too)

>Has anyone else  noticed this?
>--
>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
>Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still
>not know ANYTHING about computers.

Macintosh:The Clayton's computer.
--
	+---------------------------------+       _  _ _ _  __
	+---------------------------------+

nj@teak.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (12/03/90)

static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (geoff c wing) replied:

>WHAT? Didn't quite get this, but I assume that you arc'ed the file on Unix and
>tried to dearc it on Amiga(?). Unless you have an LHARC program on Unix which
>has generic compatibility(for protection bits) you can't do it (easily).

I've never had any problems creating an archive with Unix LHARC 1.02
(which I believe is available on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov) and dearchiving
it with Amiga LZ 0.91), even without turning on the generic compatibility
mode on the Unix end.  (That mode seems to be intended to deal with the
braindead MS-DOS filename conventions.)  It would be a poor archive
standard if it weren't transportable across machine types...

nj