[comp.sys.amiga] note to SKsh users: change of ownership

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (11/22/90)

This note is to inform SKsh users that after version 1.6 of SKsh,
ownership of the project will transfer from Steve Koren to Kim DeVaughn.

Due to the fact that I have changed jobs within the company I work for, I
can no longer continue to work on SKsh as I have in the past.  I didn't
want to leave SKsh users stranded with no future updates, bug fixes, and
new features, so I asked a few people if they would be willing to take
over the project.  Kim was willing, and already has a detailed knowledge
of SKsh, so I am confident that SKsh will have a good "home".

I regret that I will be unable to continue working on the project, but
with Kim's help it will not come to an end.  I hope it has been a useful
tool for people thus far, and I am sure it will continue to improve in the
future.

I'd also like to offer one last note of thanks to everyone who has
contributed to the project via suggestions, bug reports, ideas, and
encouragement.  I have close to 2 megabytes of email messages from SKsh
users, and have received a large number of phone calls and USmail letters.
This feedback has helped immensely in making it a more useful tool.
Thanks!

Also I would like to thank Kim DeVaughn for volunteering to continue with
the project.  Rest assured it is in good hands!  All future enhancement
requests, bug reports, and comments should be sent to Kim at the following
email address:

ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com

  - steve "no longer Mr. SKsh" koren

PS - Although Kim will now be supporting the project, please try to
understand if there are questions he cannot answer immediately.  I just
unloaded a large amount of code on him, and it takes anyone a while to
ramp up on all the details of something they didn't write.

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (12/02/90)

In article <5500040@hpfcdc.HP.COM> koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:

> This note is to inform SKsh users that after version 1.6 of SKsh,
> ownership of the project will transfer from Steve Koren to Kim DeVaughn.

First, I'd like to thank Steve for providing the really first class product
that SKsh is, and for his openness to suggestions to improve SKsh, as well
as his responsiveness in fixing problems with it, providing workarounds, etc.

I'm sorry that circumstances have dictated that he must forgo further develop-
ment efforts on SKsh.  His efforts will certainly be missed.

I am pleased though that I will be able to continue working on what Steve has
so ably started.  Thanks for providing such a good base on which to build,
Steve!

For the past few weeks, I have been getting Steve's code integrated into my
environment, the objective being to be able to generate byte-identical copies
of his latest distribution release of SKsh (v.16).

That hasn't been as easy as it sounds, and along the way I've discovered some
subtle interactions between header files, and "go" the Lattice optimizer (v5.05),
plus a couple other "quirky" things (which have been passed along to the people
at SAS).

As may be, we're satisfied that few remaining anomalies don't impact SKsh, and
are more "curiousities" than anything else, so it's now time to start working
on v1.7.

The first thing I plan to do is convert over to using SAS v5.10 (which will
also allow me to finally release the promised update of "ls" that some of you
have been waiting for).  Also, doing so will prevent at least one problem I'm
aware of from ever showing up when SKsh is run on a 3000 machine.

Next, with the help of others, I'll be trying find any other 3000 and/or 2.0x
related problems.  There are mixed reports from people on this, so I'd really
appreciate hearing of any problems people may be having, in as much detail as
possible.  It appears there are "configuration dependencies" to some of these
problems, so that information (options, flags, .skshrc info, etc.) is critical
as well.

Along the way, I'll be fixing some low priority bugs, and making a few minor
enhancements as I familiarize myself with the code (so don't expect to see
"true pipes", or similar enhancements in v1.7 ... :-) ).

The goal for v1.7 will be to have a version of SKsh that will work reliably
under both 1.3 and 2.whatever, though to a large extent how well I'll be
able to accomplish that depends on access to 3000 machines, and/or help from
people that have them (unsubtle, solicitous hint)!

At some point (possibly v1.7, though more likely v1.8, or so), I plan to freeze
the 1.3 compatible version of SKsh, and start utilizing all those wonderful
new features and hooks for 3rd party shells that Randell keeps alluding to
being "in there" (or at least "on the way").  It's quite probable that major
enhancements and features will wait until then, and will require 2.whatever
to run.

So that's a brief rundown on where things are WRT SKsh, and the direction I
see things heading in the immediate future.

Should you have any comments, bug reports, suggestions, or whatever, you can
reach me at the addresses below (though I don't get on BiX, GEnie, or CIS all
that often, so the Internet address is best).

Happy Holidays to all ...!

/kim

P.S.  Please discontinue the use of any other Internet addresses you may have
      for me.  Thanks!

--
UUCP:  ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
DDD:   408-746-8462

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (12/03/90)

In article <bczz02B503u601@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> ked01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <5500040@hpfcdc.HP.COM> koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:
>> This note is to inform SKsh users that after version 1.6 of SKsh,
>> ownership of the project will transfer from Steve Koren to Kim DeVaughn.

Hi,
	I was wondering if the next release of SKsh will come with
source?