[comp.sys.amiga] Hidden AmigaDOS files?

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/14/90)

There is a 'hidden' bit for files on AmigaDOS 1.3, but it's not
implemented until version 2.0.

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

inb300campbe@qut.edu.au (11/14/90)

Does anybody know how to make files invisible in AmigaDOS?

I have seen hidden directories created on a floppy which you can CD into but
don't show up in a DIR listing, but is it possible under FFS?  HOW?

  -- David Campbell

inb300campbe@redgum.qut.edu.au

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (11/14/90)

In article <wRFLs10w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>There is a 'hidden' bit for files on AmigaDOS 1.3, but it's not
>implemented until version 2.0.

The hidden bit is not used in 2.0 either.

>                        Joseph Hillenburg

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (11/15/90)

In article <15854@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>In article <wRFLs10w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>>There is a 'hidden' bit for files on AmigaDOS 1.3, but it's not
>>implemented until version 2.0.
>
>The hidden bit is not used in 2.0 either.
>
>>                        Joseph Hillenburg
>
>     Peter
>--

In fact, it doesn't even stand for hidden anymore.

(it still doesn't do anything, but it doesn't do a different anything :-) )
 A subtle difference to be sure.

		andy

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the
 problem."

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (11/15/90)

In Message-ID: <15854@cbmvax.commodore.com>
          peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) said:
>In article <wRFLs10w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writ
>>There is a 'hidden' bit for files on AmigaDOS 1.3, but it's not
>>implemented until version 2.0.
>
>The hidden bit is not used in 2.0 either.
>
>>                        Joseph Hillenburg
>
>     Peter

That does it!  I can live with some applications breaking, most games breaking,
and no 24bit 1024x1024 pixel Workbench icons, *but* this is the last straw.

2.0 is totally worthless without the hidden bit!

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #23: Drive without brake lights.                   |
| (Light deactivation method is unimportant; just try to appear oblivious.) |

static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (geoff c wing) (11/15/90)

In <1990Nov13.182903.20247@qut.edu.au> inb300campbe@qut.edu.au writes:

>Does anybody know how to make files invisible in AmigaDOS?

>I have seen hidden directories created on a floppy which you can CD into but
>don't show up in a DIR listing, but is it possible under FFS?  HOW?

>  -- David Campbell

>inb300campbe@redgum.qut.edu.au

Yeah, sure, it's easy, although you'll need a disk editor of some kind. What you
do is create a bad hash, somewhere early up, ie.low hash number. Hash numbers go
from 6 - 77. OK., first create a file that you won't use, say 0 bytes long, and
find out what its hash number is. Then delete its block #(remember it) from the
hash table in the root block or directory block, or go find it in a hash chain
somewhere and delete it from there. Make sure you remember it. Now back to the
root block or directory block you want to stuff up, find the first file in the
hash table, follow the hash chain until you get to the end one and put the block
number you've remembered onto the hash chain word(long word 124). If you don't
understand this then you shouldn't even consider attempting it.
--
	+---------------------------------+       _  _ _ _  __
	+---------------------------------+

colin@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Colin Panisset) (11/16/90)

inb300campbe@qut.edu.au writes:

-Does anybody know how to make files invisible in AmigaDOS?

-I have seen hidden directories created on a floppy which you can CD into but
-don't show up in a DIR listing, but is it possible under FFS?  HOW?

  Roight. This has happened to me. At least once. I'm annoyed, coz the standard
dox provided by Commodore (what little there is), mention it not at all. I
have one dir on my HD (A Quantum Prodrive 40Mb, with Trumpcard), under FFS,
and it's NOT THERE under any dir listing. From ANY application/shell/cli/
whatever. I can CD into it, or get into it by specifically naming it in the
file requester. Oh, I'm using 1.3.2 by the way.

  Can anyone give me an idea of what the hell is going on? I dont remember
setting any hidden bit on the dir, and nothing I've tried (protect, etc) has
had any effect.

  All this guff about it not being implemented.... I wonder, sometimes.

-  -- David Campbell

-inb300campbe@redgum.qut.edu.au
--
  --==**@@##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~##@@**==--
  colin@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au !  If I had to do it all over again, I'd

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf Seibert) (11/16/90)

Several people wrote:
|>>There is a 'hidden' bit for files on AmigaDOS 1.3, but it's not
|>>implemented until version 2.0.

|>The hidden bit is not used in 2.0 either.

|In fact, it doesn't even stand for hidden anymore.

|(it still doesn't do anything, but it doesn't do a different anything :-) )
| A subtle difference to be sure.

Right. But what doesn't it do in 2.0?
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg

In article <18621@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au> colin@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Colin Panisset) writes:
>-Does anybody know how to make files invisible in AmigaDOS?
>
>-I have seen hidden directories created on a floppy which you can CD into but
>-don't show up in a DIR listing, but is it possible under FFS?  HOW?
>
>  Roight. This has happened to me. At least once. I'm annoyed, coz the standard
>dox provided by Commodore (what little there is), mention it not at all. I
>have one dir on my HD (A Quantum Prodrive 40Mb, with Trumpcard), under FFS,
>and it's NOT THERE under any dir listing. From ANY application/shell/cli/
>whatever. I can CD into it, or get into it by specifically naming it in the
>file requester. Oh, I'm using 1.3.2 by the way.
>
>  Can anyone give me an idea of what the hell is going on? I dont remember
>setting any hidden bit on the dir, and nothing I've tried (protect, etc) has
>had any effect.

	This is caused by a pre-release version of the FFS (from the 1.3
Gamma/Omega days).  There was a change in whether ordering of hash chains
was required (that tied into the faster ExNext scheme).  This means that
a few files/dirs written under earlier versions of FFS cannot be seen by
ExNext.  The solution is to rename the directory something different and
back (causing it to get reinserted in the right place).  However, it might
be safer to backup and restore, in case there are any other version-
related problems lurking.

	It's not a "hidden bit" issue.  That bit is defined, but not
implemented at this time.  There may be other filesystem problems which might
also result in misordered hash chains, but the reason given seems most likely.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

rmal@cernvax.cern.ch (richard lucock) (11/19/90)

In article <18621@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au> colin@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Colin Panisset) writes:
|inb300campbe@qut.edu.au writes:

|-Does anybody know how to make files invisible in AmigaDOS?

|-I have seen hidden directories created on a floppy which you can CD into but
|-don't show up in a DIR listing, but is it possible under FFS?  HOW?

|  Roight. This has happened to me. At least once. I'm annoyed, coz the standard
|dox provided by Commodore (what little there is), mention it not at all. I
|have one dir on my HD (A Quantum Prodrive 40Mb, with Trumpcard), under FFS,
|and it's NOT THERE under any dir listing.

To muddy the waters still further, I recently unarchived a .lzh file onto
my amiga. The 'dir' command worked ok, but 'list' did not show the files
(I was using the ARP versions of these commands).  Delete worked, luckily.
Further, only one of the unarchiving programs caused this problem, the other
worked OK (but I can't remember whether it was LZ or LHARC that didn't
work properly).  This was on an FFS hard disk partition.

Richard

dean@ns.network.com (Dean C. Gahlon) (11/20/90)

In article <3127@cernvax.cern.ch> rmal@cernvax.cern.ch (richard lucock) writes:

>To muddy the waters still further, I recently unarchived a .lzh file onto
>my amiga. The 'dir' command worked ok, but 'list' did not show the files
>(I was using the ARP versions of these commands).  Delete worked, luckily.
>Further, only one of the unarchiving programs caused this problem, the other
>worked OK (but I can't remember whether it was LZ or LHARC that didn't
>work properly).  This was on an FFS hard disk partition.
>
>Richard

	I was wondering when this would come around in this thread.  What
happened here is that the ARP list command can't handle bad dates in file
timestamps, so it doesn't print out files that have such dates. (It's
documented in the ARP docs, so I guess it's a feature, rather than a bug :-)
In other words, it shouldn't have been a result of the unarchiver, unless
one of them sets the file timestamps to what they were when the file was
archived, and the other sets them to what they are when the file is
unarchived.

	I was bitten by this a while back, and it confused me for a bit
until I remembered that bit from the docs.

					Dean C. Gahlon
					dean@ns.network.com

static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (geoff c wing) (11/20/90)

In <18621@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au> colin@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Colin Panisset) writes:

>inb300campbe@qut.edu.au writes:

>-Does anybody know how to make files invisible in AmigaDOS?
>-I have seen hidden directories created on a floppy which you can CD into but
>-don't show up in a DIR listing, but is it possible under FFS?  HOW?

>  Roight. This has happened to me. At least once. I'm annoyed, coz the standard
>dox provided by Commodore (what little there is), mention it not at all. I
>have one dir on my HD (A Quantum Prodrive 40Mb, with Trumpcard), under FFS,
>and it's NOT THERE under any dir listing. From ANY application/shell/cli/
>whatever. I can CD into it, or get into it by specifically naming it in the
>file requester. Oh, I'm using 1.3.2 by the way.

>  Can anyone give me an idea of what the hell is going on? I dont remember
>setting any hidden bit on the dir, and nothing I've tried (protect, etc) has
>had any effect.

>  All this guff about it not being implemented.... I wonder, sometimes.
>-  -- David Campbell

OK, OK, I posted an answer to this a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps it didn't get
very far? It has to do with deliberately putting useless(& zero length) files
with a bad hash in the list; hopefully with a small hash number. Of course, you
can do it with non-zero length files but to what ends, since you'll not be able
to access the file again without rehashing it. Now, if you want a better
description try searching for my last post. Because, if you don't work out how
to do it on your own then you should forget about it.
Coder motto: Lamers get lost.

--
	+---------------------------------+       _  _ _ _  __
	+---------------------------------+

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (11/20/90)

In article <wRFLs10w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>There is a 'hidden' bit for files on AmigaDOS 1.3, but it's not
>implemented until version 2.0.

You can hide files under 2.0. You can use alt-characters for filenames.
If the first character in the filename is an invisible alt-character
the filename will be hidden when you do a dir or list.

Sean Schur

USENET: schur@isi.edu
Compuserve: 70731,1102
Plink: OSS259

rmal@cernvax.cern.ch (richard lucock) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.221630.21647@ns.network.com> dean@ns.network.com (Dean C. Gahlon) writes:
~In article <3127@cernvax.cern.ch> rmal@cernvax.cern.ch (richard lucock) writes:
~>
[...]
~
Correct. I stumbled across the archive again last night - the files in
it were dated 1998 (and it was actually zooed, not lharced. So I'm
not sure what I did to get the files to appear (copy, maybe), but it
didn't involve a second archiver). Told you I was muddying the waters !

Richard

bergeop@pttrnl.nl (12/03/90)

88In article <1990Nov15.143850.18734@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au>, static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (geoff c wing) writes:

87
In <1990Nov13.182903.20247@qut.edu.au> inb300campbe@qut.edu.au writes:

>>Does anybody know how to make files invisible in AmigaDOS?
>
>>I have seen hidden directories created on a floppy which you can CD into but
>>don't show up in a DIR listing, but is it possible under FFS?  HOW?
>
>>  -- David Campbell
>
>>inb300campbe@redgum.qut.edu.au
>
> Yeah, sure, it's easy, although you'll need a disk editor of some kind. What you
> do is create a bad hash, somewhere early up, ie.low hash number. Hash numbers go
> from 6 - 77. OK., first create a file that you won't use, say 0 bytes long, and
> find out what its hash number is. Then delete its block #(remember it) from the
> hash table in the root block or directory block, or go find it in a hash chain
> somewhere and delete it from there. Make sure you remember it. Now back to the
> root block or directory block you want to stuff up, find the first file in the
> hash table, follow the hash chain until you get to the end one and put the block
> number you've remembered onto the hash chain word(long word 124). If you don't
> understand this then you shouldn't even consider attempting it.
> --
> 	| static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au \X/ |  //\\ |  | _|_ \__| //\\

7021

.0