[comp.sys.amiga] IBM Mac emulator!

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (12/02/90)

have a MAC emulator like Amax II for the Amiga, well a lot of people said,
NO!, and that it was not possible with a ?86 based computer without puting
a 68000 on board, well however it needs to be done, I suppose they did it,
beacuse I just watched "Computer Chronicles" a while ago, and they had a
news bit about a new computer made by a CLONE maker that is billed as the
PC/MAC!  It was a laptop with a VGA 386 built in as well as a MAC.  The
price was very steep though, $10,000! No kidding!  They didn't show it
running anything, so it might be really crappy, someone who knows please
tell me if it was true, though I don't know why you would want one, when
you can have an A3000, with a 386 bridgeboard, and Amax II, for LESS!

Oh well....

Christopher Walton

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (12/03/90)

>NO!, and that it was not possible with a ?86 based computer without puting
>a 68000 on board, well however it needs to be done, I suppose they did it,
>beacuse I just watched "Computer Chronicles" a while ago, and they had a
>news bit about a new computer made by a CLONE maker that is billed as the
>PC/MAC!  It was a laptop with a VGA 386 built in as well as a MAC.  The

I don't remember the name of the company, but they DID put a 68000 in that
box.

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (12/03/90)

A PC/MAC for $10,000??   Heck, for that price, you could have separate
'386, Mac IIsi, and A3000 units, with lots of software thrown in to boot!

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (12/03/90)

In article <2759590c-3672.1comp.sys.amiga-1@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>>NO!, and that it was not possible with a ?86 based computer without puting
>>a 68000 on board, well however it needs to be done, I suppose they did it,
>>beacuse I just watched "Computer Chronicles" a while ago, and they had a
>>news bit about a new computer made by a CLONE maker that is billed as the
>>PC/MAC!  It was a laptop with a VGA 386 built in as well as a MAC.  The
>
>I don't remember the name of the company, but they DID put a 68000 in that
>box.

	The laptop you're both probably referring to is based on the Sparc
RISC chipset; I don't think there's any other processor in there to do the
emulation; it's all SW based.  It can run DOS, UNIX, and Mac stuff (via
a reverse-engineered clone of the Mac ROMs?).

--
  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (12/03/90)

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:

>have a MAC emulator like Amax II for the Amiga, well a lot of people said,
>NO!, and that it was not possible with a ?86 based computer without puting
>a 68000 on board, well however it needs to be done, I suppose they did it,
>beacuse I just watched "Computer Chronicles" a while ago, and they had a
>news bit about a new computer made by a CLONE maker that is billed as the
>PC/MAC!  It was a laptop with a VGA 386 built in as well as a MAC.  The
>price was very steep though, $10,000! No kidding!  They didn't show it
>running anything, so it might be really crappy, someone who knows please
>tell me if it was true, though I don't know why you would want one, when
>you can have an A3000, with a 386 bridgeboard, and Amax II, for LESS!
>Oh well....
>Christopher Walton
>cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu

It is a RISC based laptop which emulates 80x86 and 68000 with their
own software made by a San Diego based company. Info obtained from an
industry weekly. It also runs UNIX/X window. It claims it doesn't have
a legal problem with Apple on their emulation of Mac, didn't say how.
It is not selling yet.

David

--
/*****************************************************************************/
/*    David Tse      Internet: coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (expire 12/31/90)    */

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/04/90)

In article <10569@helios.TAMU.EDU>, cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
> have a MAC emulator like Amax II for the Amiga, well a lot of people said,
> NO!, and that it was not possible with a ?86 based computer without puting
> a 68000 on board, well however it needs to be done, I suppose they did it,
> beacuse I just watched "Computer Chronicles" a while ago, and they had a
> news bit about a new computer made by a CLONE maker that is billed as the
> PC/MAC!  It was a laptop with a VGA 386 built in as well as a MAC.  The
> price was very steep though, $10,000! No kidding!  They didn't show it
> running anything, so it might be really crappy, someone who knows please
> tell me if it was true, though I don't know why you would want one, when
> you can have an A3000, with a 386 bridgeboard, and Amax II, for LESS!

Sounds like what we've got here is a PC and a MAC in one box. I am certain that
such a beast has one of each type processor, and all the auxiliary hardware
associated with each (this seems to be confirmed by the price tag). But
regardless a 80x86 emulating a 68000 is a virtual impossibility at any
semblance of the original speed of the processor. Their architechtures are too
different.

--
James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (12/04/90)

-
-Sounds like what we've got here is a PC and a MAC in one box. I am certain that
-such a beast has one of each type processor, and all the auxiliary hardware
-associated with each (this seems to be confirmed by the price tag). But
-regardless a 80x86 emulating a 68000 is a virtual impossibility at any
-semblance of the original speed of the processor. Their architechtures are too
-different.
-
-> Christopher Walton
->
-> cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu
---
-James A. Treworgy    -- No quote here for insurance reasons --
-jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu         jtreworgy%eagle@WESLEYAN.BITNET

It could also be the announced BriteLite Portable Computer, with a SPARC
processor and 8086/68000 emulation in software. It's not due out soon,
seems more like they are testing the market to see if there is enough
interest for it to be interesting to produce (at that steep price).

Tommy Petersson