[comp.sys.amiga] Two Millionth Amiga Sold

	According to a CBM press release dated 11/12 Commodore
has now officially sold their two millionth Amiga, having just
passed the one million mark just over 1 1/2 years ago. Everyone
was saying that the 1,000,000th machine would bring in
developers. Now we've doubled that. MAYBE things will change,
maybe.
	-- Ethan

	If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which he
has inflicted upon men, He would kill himself.
	-- Alexandre Dumas

	Which is it: is man one of God's blunders, or is God one
of man's blunders?
	-- Nietzsche

	They're JOKES! Lighten up! 8) Flames will be ignored.

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/16/90)

     The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
     Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
                                    Jason

caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au (11/19/90)

In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>      The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>      Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
>                                     Jason

I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
amigas but are not from the US second class or something?

2 million in sales is 2 million is sales and a potentail market wherever
they are.

   MALCOLM CALDWELL   CALDWELL_M@DARWIN.NTU.EDU
   Darwin Australia   FIDO 3:690/648.3

In article <1990Nov19.132121.373@darwin.ntu.edu.au> caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>      The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
>> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>>      Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
>>                                     Jason
>
>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?
>
>2 million in sales is 2 million is sales and a potentail market wherever
>they are.

	You don't understand WHY it bothers us that 3/4 are in
Europe. In America the Amiga is considered a joke by most
"business/professional" people. Most people don't know Commodore
makes any professional machines and most think that Commodore is
going bankrupt. That won't change unless CBM can start selling
more machines in this country. When we see 3/4 of all sales in
Europe we worry that Commodore will treat people from the US as
second class by giving up on this country.

In <1990Nov19.132121.373@darwin.ntu.edu.au>, caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>      The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
>> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>>      Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
>>                                     Jason
>
>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?
>
>2 million in sales is 2 million is sales and a potentail market wherever
>they are.

Don't be so paranoid.  This kind of attitude exists because everyone would like
to see more of their favourite machine sold in their own country, if for no
other reason than having better dealer support for it. It has nothing to do
with any feelings about the users in other countries. Sheesh!

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov19.132121.373@darwin.ntu.edu.au> caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>      The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
>> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>>      Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
>>                                     Jason
>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?
>
>   MALCOLM CALDWELL   CALDWELL_M@DARWIN.NTU.EDU
>   Darwin Australia   FIDO 3:690/648.3

I think you could just as easily say that it *complements* the
non-American computer enthusiast, no?  It would seem that more folks
outside the U.S. are wise enough to know a good thing when they see
one.  :)

bj

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "My beer comes from farther away than your beer." (Fosters ? :)     |

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.132121.373@darwin.ntu.edu.au>,
caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes...

>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?
>
>2 million in sales is 2 million is sales and a potentail market wherever
>they are.

     I don't think that the author meant to imply that.  But in a world
where Commodore has to compete with corporations such as Apple, IBM, NEXT,
etc., who sell a majority of their machines in the US, it is imperative
that Commodore do well especially in the United States in order to remain
competetive.

                                      Scott
                                BITNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.bitnet
                              INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.132121.373@darwin.ntu.edu.au> caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>> The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
>> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>> Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
>>                                     Jason
>
>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?
>
>2 million in sales is 2 million is sales and a potentail market wherever
>they are.
>
>   MALCOLM CALDWELL   CALDWELL_M@DARWIN.NTU.EDU
>   Darwin Australia   FIDO 3:690/648.3

It does make a difference to software developers who would release a product in
Europe but not here because the market here may not be solid enough to justify
it. Many games are like that and I'm quite certain more "serious" programs are
treated accordingly as well.

 o                             o   | This Space For Rent        Only Amiga!! //
<< md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  | Amerikkka's Most Wanted               \X/
/>                             <\  |
"Help! I've fallen and can't get up"
"We went to Holland, land of Dykes. Hated it!" <In Living Color>

drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dustin Christmann) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.132121.373@darwin.ntu.edu.au> caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>      The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
>> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>>      Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
>>                                     Jason
>
>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?
>
>2 million in sales is 2 million is sales and a potentail market wherever
>they are.
>
>   MALCOLM CALDWELL   CALDWELL_M@DARWIN.NTU.EDU
>   Darwin Australia   FIDO 3:690/648.3

I believe that Mr. Caldwell is reading more into the quoted statement than
there really is. As one reader has already posted, it shows that outside the
US, computer buyers generally have better judgement in buying (or that C= does
a better job in promoting, take your pick.) The point being made is simply that
in the largest personal computer market in the world, Commodore isn't making
much of a dent. The larger software manufacturers like Lotus, Microsoft, etc.
are based here in the US with large worldwide distribution have at least 3/4
(probably not exact) of their sales here. They read the sales figures, of
course, and have a hard time justifying manufacturing Amiga versions of their
software, which one often sees in shops overseas. Now the story comes full cir-
cle. When the average business buyer, who just wants to run <insert name of me-
gapopular application here>, sees that a PeeCee runs it and the Amiga doesn't,
which computer do you think he/she going to buy? And the vicious circle con-
tinues...

Also, while bigger companies do not necessarily sell better software, they set
standards and sell computers. So while the topic is not necessarily "Amerika
ueber Alles" the importance of the American market in the computer industry
cannot be understated. No Amiga is an island. If you don't believe it, look at
how many software/accessories of American origin you have.

Lunk, lunk, lunk, *RULPS*
Dustin R. Christmann

Internet:	drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Bitnet:		DRXMANN@UTXVM

Sam: What's happenin', Norm?	Norm: It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and
					I'm wearin' Milk Bone underwear...
						-Taken from _Cheers_

sjorr@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Stephen Orr) (11/20/90)

In article <39975@ut-emx.uucp> drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dustin Christmann) writes:
>Also, while bigger companies do not necessarily sell better software, they set
>standards and sell computers. So while the topic is not necessarily "Amerika
>ueber Alles" the importance of the American market in the computer industry
>cannot be understated. No Amiga is an island. If you don't believe it, look at
>how many software/accessories of American origin you have.

Let's not write off this machine before we get started. You mention 'Lotus'
perhaps not a very good example, Lotus is available on the NeXT, a machine
with FAR fewer units sold in any country, obviously Lotus is using something
else to decide when and where to develop.

Also, recent numbers indicate that the Amiga software market, is ABOVE the
industry projected growth (that is growth of microcomputer software sales),
and that Amiga growth is ahead of ALL other micros (including PC & Mac).

Commodore is very busy getting into multimedia in a big way. The CDTV is real,
it has Apple & Microsoft paying attention, and it will make a BIG impression.
The 3500 is real, it will be annouced (sometime ;-), and it will be followed
by other hardware.

In my opinion, as a developer, as a student, and a long time user of many
different types of machine, the Amiga is not even close to it's growth
potential yet, and we could still see surprising things from Commodore
in the future.

By the way, I know a bunch of people here (at Waterloo) who spent workterms
writing code for MicroSoft, specifically Window 3.0, and they ALL own Amigas.

						Stephen Orr
						SandIsoft

caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:

>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>      The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
>> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>>      Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
>>                                     Jason

>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?

I don't think he meant it as a put down to people outside the USA, but
that:

1> There are not that many Amigas sold over here (USA) as compared to europe.
2> In Europe the Amiga is selling better than the USA and it has a better
   reputation over there.

3> If there were more Amiga's sold over here, maybe it would get a better
   reputation over here.

or 4> Maybe if Amiga had a better reputation over here, it would sell more.

3 and 4 are probably intertwined. The Amigas reputation in a particular
area (such as USA or Europe) seems to be tied to sales in that particular
area. Telling people that there are over 1.5 Million Amigas over in Europe
doesn't help its reputation over here, just as it would not help its
reputation over in Europe if the sales figures were reversed. Considering
overseas owners as 'second class citizens' who's opinions don't count, doesn't
really come into it at all. It's more like "I don't care what the Amiga is
doing anywhere but right here", which is typical for anyone to think, even
Europeans. I am sure they don't really care that IBM clones outsell Amigas
in the USA, any more than Americans care that Amiga's outsell IBM clones in
Europe (if they do, it's just an example)

So I think what Jason was disapointed in was that because most of the
sales were overseas from the USA, it means that the Amiga's reputation
will continue to be poor over here, at least until we can get the
numbers-of-units-sold-in-the-USA up a bit higher.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

rwm@atronx.ocug.on.ca (Russell McOrmond) (11/21/90)

In a message posted on 19 Nov 90 03:51:21 GMT,
caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au wrote:
c>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
c>>      Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.

c>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
c>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?

Actually, I believe completely the opposite (And this is not because I'm
a Canadian - WE have the same small sales record).  I find most of the
Non-North-American to be better able to make an EDUCATED decision as to what
computer to buy. The average person in the U.S.  just says 'Hey, is it IBM
compatable', and does not even realize that this is a DIS-ADVANTAGE ;-)

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own.  My Employer does not even
know what these networks ARE.

  Russell McOrmond   rwm@atronx.UUCP   {fts1,alzabo}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109

a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) (11/21/90)

> sparks@corpane.UUCP writes:
>         [...]
> I don't think he meant it as a put down to people outside the USA, but
>         [...]
> So I think what Jason was disapointed in was that because most of the
> sales were overseas from the USA, it means that the Amiga's reputation
> will continue to be poor over here, at least until we can get the
> numbers-of-units-sold-in-the-USA up a bit higher.
> --
> John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User
> [...]

John, in addition to being a VP of D&D, I also instruct Nightschool courses in
the Vancouver (Canada) area.  Lately there has been an interesting trend:
students are noticing that in normally MS-DOS only work areas, management is
not only considering but actually installing Amigas in place of new MS-DOS
machines -- the Bridgeboard concept seems to help a lot, along with the better
(multisync) display capabilities and the workstation concepts.

From my observations -- I've also taught MS-DOS courses as well as use MS-DOS
machines -- once people actually see realworld technical and multimedia
software availabily running on an Amiga with its proven
multitasking, people start to take notice.

Remember, surveys have show that typically 80-90% of the population are
followers and sheep.  So, you can't really fault people for doing what comes
naturally.  The fault lay in the Old Commodore style of "marketing" in the USA
and Canada -- especially when you see the more aggressive approaches taken the
non-North American Commodore-Amiga entities.

Let's, however, give credit where credit is due: the new marketing style from
Commodore-Amiga USA is having a definite impact (even the
late Berlin Wall had to come down a section at a time) and is aimed at
several leading-trend market niches.  As long as Commodore-Amiga
keeps seeking what the market wants and thence leading thereby, they
(Commodore-Amiga USA) should keep gaining ground ... time will tell.

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.155840.5249@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sjorr@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Stephen Orr) writes:
>Let's not write off this machine before we get started. You mention 'Lotus'
>perhaps not a very good example, Lotus is available on the NeXT, a machine
>with FAR fewer units sold in any country, obviously Lotus is using something
>else to decide when and where to develop.

   They simply base their decision on money.  As I heard (rumors...)
NeXT went to Lotus maker's with a little check, and asked for the port.

   I heard that Commodore recently discovered this technique...
(rumors...)  :-)

	Daniel.
--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\

In article <3673@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>
>>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>>
>>>      The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
>>> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>>>      Let's hope sales in the U.S. get a boost this Christmas.
>>>                                     Jason
>
>2> In Europe the Amiga is selling better than the USA and it has a better
>   reputation over there.

I think it's more the reputation of Commodore here in Europe. What
you experience in America is still a result of the policy of Jack
Tramiel to sell to the masses not the classes. In following this
policy, Commodore America abandoned the whole series of serious
bureau PET and CBM computers, concentrating only on VC 20, C 64 and
the ill-fated Plus/4, C 16/116. So he intentionally cut one of his
legs to stand on, leaving Commodore with the reputation of a game
computer-only company. - In Europe things went different. Here the
series of bureau computers was kept, and in Germany Commodore dominated
this market at every time, IBM becoming the only contender. So the
differences stem from this old time, and I have learned two things
from this:
1. Once your reputation is damaged (or changed), it is really hard
   and time-consuming to overcome this.
2. Men make history.

hwr@pilhuhn.uucp (Heiko W.Rupp) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov19.054642.20169@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, Ethan Solomita writes:

>In article <1990Nov19.132121.373@darwin.ntu.edu.au> caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
             [ some stuff deleted ]
>>2 million in sales is 2 million is sales and a potentail market wherever
>>they are.
>>
>Europe. In America the Amiga is considered a joke by most
>"business/professional" people. Most people don't know Commodore
>makes any professional machines and most think that Commodore is
>going bankrupt.

If You look in the paper, then you'll realize, that C= actions
augmented 2$ within last 3 weeks, so I think that more people know
about good/professional machines from C= than You think

-Heiko

---
 O|O  Heiko W.Rupp   Path: ...!ira.uka.de!smurf!flatlin!bagsend!pilhuhn!hwr
  |   Gerwigstr.5            | There is someone in my head, but it't not me
  U   FRG-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |                       - Pink Floyd
      Voice : + 49 721 693642| Do You know where Your towel is ???

In article <18415c46.ARN0e35@pilhuhn.uucp> hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org writes:

>In article <1990Nov19.054642.20169@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, Ethan Solomita writes:
>>
>>Europe. In America the Amiga is considered a joke by most
>>"business/professional" people. Most people don't know Commodore
>>makes any professional machines and most think that Commodore is
>>going bankrupt.
>
>If You look in the paper, then you'll realize, that C= actions
>augmented 2$ within last 3 weeks, so I think that more people know
>about good/professional machines from C= than You think

	This doesn't prove anything. Commodore stock goes up and
down like a roller-coaster. It was down at around 3-4 not too
long ago and before that it was up to 20. What has happened
during this time that wasn't predictable? Not a whole hell of a
lot. Certainly not enough for the stock to drop by 80% and now to
go up over 150%. The stock market is legalized gambling.
	The bottom line is sales, and all of north america
(including, obviously canada) contribute only 18% of total sales.
That means the US represents a little over 10% of total sales.
That sucks, and Commodore knows it. Hopefully they'll be able to
bring it around.

>-Heiko
>

>---
> O|O  Heiko W.Rupp   Path: ...!ira.uka.de!smurf!flatlin!bagsend!pilhuhn!hwr
>  |   Gerwigstr.5            | There is someone in my head, but it't not me
>  U   FRG-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |                       - Pink Floyd
>      Voice : + 49 721 693642| Do You know where Your towel is ???

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov24.184010.18774@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	This doesn't prove anything. Commodore stock goes up and
>down like a roller-coaster. It was down at around 3-4 not too
>long ago and before that it was up to 20. What has happened
>during this time that wasn't predictable? Not a whole hell of a
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^

     Iran was predictable in it's take over of Kuwait??? A lot of people
     over there would have really been greatful if you had told them before
     hand.

>lot. Certainly not enough for the stock to drop by 80% and now to
>go up over 150%. The stock market is legalized gambling.

    Lets get some facts straight! Since July 90 Commodore stock has had
    a low of $4 5/8 and a High (last friday ) of $10.  In July/August it
    was hovering around $7-$8 a share, when the Iran crisis broke the whole
    stock market dropped. This is when CBU hit the 4 5/8 low. It has since
    recovered quite nicely, have you noticed what the biggies are doing?
    Apple is still below what it was and I bet if you check you will see
    that IBM is also still down.

    Commodore has had problems in the past which have caused it many
    headaches, but it is starting to look much, much better now.

    Have a nice day,
    Monty Saine

hwr@pilhuhn.uucp (Heiko W.Rupp) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov24.184010.18774@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, Ethan Solomita writes:

>In article <18415c46.ARN0e35@pilhuhn.uucp> hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org writes:
>>
>>In article <1990Nov19.054642.20169@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, Ethan Solomita writes:
        [some stuff deleted]
>>If You look in the paper, then you'll realize, that C= actions
>>augmented 2$ within last 3 weeks, so I think that more people know
>>about good/professional machines from C= than You think
>>
>       This doesn't prove anything. Commodore stock goes up and
>down like a roller-coaster. It was down at around 3-4 not too
>long ago and before that it was up to 20. What has happened
>during this time that wasn't predictable? Not a whole hell of a
>lot. Certainly not enough for the stock to drop by 80% and now to
>go up over 150%. The stock market is legalized gambling.

Yes,that's right, but when the other stocks go down and C= goes up
there must be a reason for it.

>       The bottom line is sales, and all of north america
>(including, obviously canada) contribute only 18% of total sales.
>That means the US represents a little over 10% of total sales.
>That sucks, and Commodore knows it. Hopefully they'll be able to
>bring it around.

Here in Germany they are pushing sales not only for AMIGA (A500 for
the kids to play as an intelligent shoot-and-learn toy...)
put also for PC/AT etc. with which they have been 2nd here on the
market (behind I*M) for a long time.

I think here in Germany AMIGA is well-liked by the kids who don't
want to learn how to start a game (or even serious things) from a CLI,
but who want to play.
On the other hand it's used by publicity and tv -experts, but you
don't see them in offices because there is no really good wordprocessor
(like MS-Word on MAC) (C= shouldn't you do anything)

For my part I like my A1000.

-Heiko

---

In article <18457cde.ARN0e5e@pilhuhn.uucp> hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org writes:

>In article <1990Nov24.184010.18774@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, Ethan Solomita writes:
>
>>       This doesn't prove anything. Commodore stock goes up and
>>down like a roller-coaster. It was down at around 3-4 not too
>>long ago and before that it was up to 20. What has happened
>>during this time that wasn't predictable? Not a whole hell of a
>>lot. Certainly not enough for the stock to drop by 80% and now to
>>go up over 150%. The stock market is legalized gambling.
>
>Yes,that's right, but when the other stocks go down and C= goes up
>there must be a reason for it.

	Yes, there is a reason for it. A falling dollar and the
fact that their fiscal reports are reported in dollars.
Considering that on the order of 90% of their machines are not
sold with American dollars, this is inflating the stock.

In article <955@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>In article <1990Nov24.184010.18774@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>	This doesn't prove anything. Commodore stock goes up and
>>down like a roller-coaster. It was down at around 3-4 not too
>>long ago and before that it was up to 20. What has happened
>>during this time that wasn't predictable? Not a whole hell of a
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>     Iran was predictable in it's take over of Kuwait??? A lot of people
>     over there would have really been greatful if you had told them before
>     hand.

	Iraq's takeover of Kuwait wasn't predictable, of course.
Looking at what I wrote I misphrased it. I was trying to say that
nothing unusual has happened that would cause the stock to go
from 4 5/8, as you say, to 10. I had thought that the stock
dropped to the high 3s rather than the high 4s, but that is a
trivial difference at this point (it is now around 10 8).
	The recent upsurge to 10 (from as you say 8 but I thought
it was lower) happened very quickly, 1 point in the last day,
such that people were wondering what was going on. I say the
market is legalized gambling. Even if nothing happens the stock
will surge and fall. It also makes no sense for the stock to go
up come Christmas time and fall immediately afterwards unless
people felt that the company would do excellently and instead it
did badly over Christmas. Logic of course has little to do with
this.

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (11/28/90)

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:

>     Iran was predictable in it's take over of Kuwait??? A lot of people
      ^^^^

>    Lets get some facts straight!
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    was hovering around $7-$8 a share, when the Iran crisis broke the whole
                                                 ^^^^
Monty, I hate to be the one to inform you, but its IRAQ that invaded Kuwait.
I wouldn't have mentioned this, but this is the second message from you that
talked about the "Iran Crisis."

>    Have a nice day,

You too.

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \  Pete Ashdown   pashdown@javelin.es.com   ...orca.es.com!javelin!pashdown

hunter@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (James Gardiner [hunter]) (11/28/90)

In <1990Nov21.222141.17188@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:

>   They simply base their decision on money.  As I heard (rumors...)
>NeXT went to Lotus maker's with a little check, and asked for the port.

>   I heard that Commodore recently discovered this technique...
>(rumors...)  :-)

>	Daniel.
>--
>    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
>   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\
>\\//   Mail: martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA            Montreal (Quebec), CANADA, \\//
> \/    Tel.: (514) 343-6111 poste 3494          H3C 3J7                     \/

not a rumor..  IBM RISK series.  From what I have heard,  IBM are forking out
millions just to get programs ported to there NEW power BOX.
It is also known that the prices they are paying for this are VERY HIGH
as AIX is suppose to be a DOG.

Hunter
--
James Gardiner.  System Admin, Public Access UNIX Melbourne, Australia
DON'T TRUST THE MAIL HEADER! Use the path OR the following :

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (11/28/90)

>>     Iran was predictable in it's take over of Kuwait??? A lot of people
       ^^^^

       Thank you to all that pointed out my slip here. We all know Iraq is
       the present pain. Just a slight typo.

       Monty Saine

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.093513.1405@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au> hunter@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (James Gardiner [hunter]) writes:
>In <1990Nov21.222141.17188@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:
>
>>   They simply base their decision on money.  As I heard (rumors...)
>>NeXT went to Lotus maker's with a little check, and asked for the port.
>
>>   I heard that Commodore recently discovered this technique...
>>(rumors...)  :-)
>

>not a rumor..  IBM RISK series.  From what I have heard,  IBM are forking out
>millions just to get programs ported to there NEW power BOX.
>It is also known that the prices they are paying for this are VERY HIGH
>as AIX is suppose to be a DOG.

That's funny.  I was under the impressions that the new PowerStations
run (dramatic pause) NextStep.  After all, IBM did licence it from
NeXT.  They have to do SOMETHING with it....

So (to get back to Amigas), who says Commodore is doing something
(other than excellent developer support, to throw a bone to you CATS
guys) to encourage development for the Amiga?  I would like to
"encourage" WordPerfect Corp. to release an update, so things work
more smoothly on my 3000.  Encouragement would preferably be in the
form of the application of a blunt instrument.  Of course, I do
appreciate the Amiga port in the first place.  I just wish it would
work better under 2.0.

						-Dan

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

jdutka@starbird.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) (11/29/90)

In article <958@sagpd1.UUCP>, monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
|>        Thank you to all that pointed out my slip here. We all know Iraq is
|>        the present pain. Just a slight typo.

What does this have to do with the 2 millionth Amiga being sold?

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |

steve@digibd.com (Steve Wahl) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov19.054642.20169@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1990Nov19.132121.373@darwin.ntu.edu.au> caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>>In article <46200145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>>     The only thing that's disappointing, is that I've heard 3/4 of the sales
>>> were in Europe.  (Is this pretty close to the figures?)
>>>                                     Jason

>>I find Americans with this kind of attitude a pain.  Are people who buy
>>amigas but are not from the US second class or something?

>	You don't understand WHY it bothers us that 3/4 are in
>Europe. In America the Amiga is considered a joke by most
>"business/professional" people. Most people don't know Commodore
>makes any professional machines and most think that Commodore is
>going bankrupt. That won't change unless CBM can start selling
>more machines in this country. When we see 3/4 of all sales in
>Europe we worry that Commodore will treat people from the US as
>second class by giving up on this country.

>	-- Ethan

(Please - I don't want a flame war, I just want to comment)
And I wish to point out, as someone who previouslty owned an Atari ST,
that Atari seemed to have given up on the US for a year or two, and all
of their new introductions happened in Europe long before they happened
in the US. (The STe, with the 4096 color palette, comes to mind here;
I think the Stacy (portable) was out for quite some time in Europe
before being available in the US also).  This was in the comp.sys.atari.st
discussion for quite some time.  For some of us it's not an unfounded fear.

Of course, it would make us all happy campers if products were introduced
simultaneously throughout the world!  CBM has some delays, but at least
they don't seem to approach a year.

--> Steve

--

Steve Wahl               steve@digibd.com
DigiBoard Inc.

cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) (12/02/90)

I think jason just meant(like I mean) that the Amiga force in Europe
is where it should be, but the U.S. still hasn't caught up yet.  We
are lacking in numbers here in the u.s. obviuosly, and we need to
make more people aware of the possibilities of the Amiga.  I think
CDTV is going to be a great publicity boost here in the US.

 chad

jonka@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan KAGLE) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov21.222141.17188@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:
>NeXT went to Lotus maker's with a little check, and asked for the port.
>
>   I heard that Commodore recently discovered this technique...
>(rumors...)  :-)

Let's hope not.  Atari bought Microsoft Write for the ST and it has had
virtually no impact on the marketplace.  About ten years ago, Radio Shack
paid big bucks (I seem to remember $100,000) to get VisiCalc on the TRS-80,
and it lost money on the deal.

       -Jonathan

hunter@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (James Gardiner [hunter]) writes:

|not a rumor..  IBM RISK series.  From what I have heard,  IBM are forking out
|millions just to get programs ported to there NEW power BOX.
|It is also known that the prices they are paying for this are VERY HIGH
|as AIX is suppose to be a DOG.

IBM needs a windowing system under AIX (pronounce it).
They should call it PAINs. (double pun) :-)