[comp.sys.amiga] help..with alias command ?

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (11/23/90)

When my machine boots up, the aliasing of commands does not work.

I get the message "Unknown command alias". I looked at the
distribution disk. There is no alias command in the  c
directory.

What's wrong ?? Can anyone help please ?

regards
mark
--

hubey@pilot.njin.net | hubey@apollo.montclair.edu | ...!rutgers!pilot!hubey

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/23/90)

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:

> When my machine boots up, the aliasing of commands does not work.
>
> I get the message "Unknown command alias". I looked at the
> distribution disk. There is no alias command in the  c
> directory.
>
> What's wrong ?? Can anyone help please ?

'Alias' is a command internal to the shell. You must be running
AmigaShell to use it. Since it's built in, you won't find the sucker in
the C: dir.

> regards
> mark
> --
>

> hubey@pilot.njin.net | hubey@apollo.montclair.edu | ...!rutgers!pilot!hubey

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68030 chip." -Computer Shopper

denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson) (11/24/90)

To get the alias command to work you must mount NEWCON: and also open a SHELL.
Both are needed to make aliases work.
                                                   Dennis Anderson

waw5805@isc.rit.edu (W.A. Willis ) (11/27/90)

I have a strange problem with alias: I have the following line in my
shell-startup file:
		"alias lharc Utilities:Archivers/lharc".
For some strange reason this alias is not getting set up. All the other
aliases are. I have tried deleting and re-adding this line but that
doesn't work. I set up a shell script named setalias that contained
"execute s:shell-startup". When I execute this the lharc alias gets set
up. Yo no compreno. Any clues?

denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson) (11/30/90)

When in a shell type ASSIGN and hit the return button. Does the word Utilities
show up thereby indicating that it is assigned? I think that is your problem
you can't use the colon (:) after the word utilities unless utilities is
assigned. You should probably change the line to something like
alias lharc sys:utilities/archivers/lharc or substitute DH0: or DF0: for sys:
if those are apropriate. Hope this helps.
                                                   Dennis Anderson

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov27.155249.3829@isc.rit.edu> waw5805@isc.rit.edu (W.A. Willis ) writes:

> I have a strange problem with alias: I have the following line in my
> shell-startup file:
> 		"alias lharc Utilities:Archivers/lharc".
> For some strange reason this alias is not getting set up. All the other

Assuming you do have Utilities: assigned, it may be an ancient bug I ran into
a long time ago.  That being that if the file containing your aliases has
tab chars in it, aliases won't get processed correctly.

I've no idea if this ever got fixed or not.

/kim

--
UUCP:  ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
DDD:   408-746-8462

waw5805@isc.rit.edu (W.A. Willis ) (12/05/90)

>Article 5626 of comp.sys.amiga:
>From: denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>Subject: Re: help..with alias command ?
>Date: 30 Nov 90 14:36:01 GMT
>Sender: root@crash.cts.com
>
>When in a shell type ASSIGN and hit the return button. Does the word Utilities
>show up thereby indicating that it is assigned? I think that is your problem
>you can't use the colon (:) after the word utilities unless utilities is
>assigned. You should probably change the line to something like
>alias lharc sys:utilities/archivers/lharc or substitute DH0: or DF0: for sys:
>if those are apropriate. Hope this helps.
>                                                   Dennis Anderson

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. The lharc executable is on a floppy
with the complete path of Utilities:Archivers/lharc. What is supposed to
happen ( which is what happens with the 'alias zoo
Utilities:Archivers/Zoo/zoo' and 'alias arc Utilities:Archivers/arc' aliases
set up in the same shell-startup file ) is that I get prompted for a
disk with the volume name 'Utilities', I insert the disk, and the
command gets executed. I'm not expecting my sys:Utilities/ directory to
be searched. Again, this works for the zoo, arc, pkax, and zip aliases
set up in exactly the same way. I don't understand why it doesn't work
for the lharc one. Also, when I type 'alias' with no parameters to see
my alias list the lharc alias isn't there ( which obviously is because
it is not being set up). Any clues?

waw5805@isc.rit.edu (W.A. Willis ) (12/05/90)

>> I have a strange problem with alias: I have the following line in my
>> shell-startup file:
>> 		"alias lharc Utilities:Archivers/lharc".
>> For some strange reason this alias is not getting set up. All the other
>
>Assuming you do have Utilities: assigned, it may be an ancient bug I ran into
>a long time ago.  That being that if the file containing your aliases has
>tab chars in it, aliases won't get processed correctly.
>
>I've no idea if this ever got fixed or not.

Ah, something to go on. I'll check that tab character theory out....