[comp.sys.amiga] Ataris

PYC118%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Rasiel) (12/03/90)

Not meaning to sound condescending to the Atari community but with utmost
honesty I have to say that a close friend of mine has an ST which he'd
heartily trade in for a stock 500. The thing is, ST's have very little over
the Amiga. ANY ST, with the exception of price (and then only a trivial dif-
erence). Some say that the ST has superior sound becuase of its built-in
MIDI but the fact is MIDI is readily available for the Amiga for a mere $30
and that doesn't say anything about its sound chip which is the same as the
ST's I think (8 bit, 4 channel, right?). The biggest downfall for the Atari
market is its support and availability. I have never seen an Atari dealer and
the last place I saw an Atari on sale was in JC Penny's or Sears a few years
back. I believe it was a model 2600. Seeing and playing around with my friend's
ST I can tell it is underpowered (He has a 520 or something like that), worse
yet he ordered some software from a dealer a few states away and they just
cashed his check. Still, I don't want to flame those machines too much, they're
still a better deal than a Mac SE because of color. And they are inarguably
dirt-cheap. If only they had more presence in the US and could emulate more
machines (like, sure, Amiga!) they'd be more successful.

One thing that's bugged me and perplexed me: Why in the world did C='s
engineers ever decide to put the power switch on the 500s in such a retarded
place? Were they on drugs? The only place where it will go is on the floor
and to turn it off or on I must either bend down, way down, or flick it
with my shoe! This is real odd, I'd think the best place for a power switch
would be on or near the console.
Rasiel, pyc118@uriacc

balistik@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SHAWN HICKS) (12/03/90)

In article <37882@nigel.ee.udel.edu> PYC118%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Rasiel) writes:

>erence). Some say that the ST has superior sound becuase of its built-in
>MIDI but the fact is MIDI is readily available for the Amiga for a mere $30
>and that doesn't say anything about its sound chip which is the same as the
>ST's I think (8 bit, 4 channel, right?). The biggest downfall for the Atari
                     ^^^--isn't it 3....
A friend of mine has one and we compared them side by side running the
same software and I was shocked to learn that it had three voices. When I had  my C=128 I was annoyed to learn that Atari's had four voices and C='s had three. I was chagrined when my friends ST had three and the Amiga 1000 had four.    That extra voice allows a melody and Trio chord to be played... important.

>still a better deal than a Mac SE because of color. And they are inarguably
>dirt-cheap. If only they had more presence in the US and could emulate more
>machines (like, sure, Amiga!) they'd be more successful.

The other thing I noticed was color. We were both running Barbarian, the only
software we had in common. His looked rather bland in color. It's good, don't
get me wrong, and without an Amiga next to it you may not even notice a
difference. However, My Amiga 1000 had a better range of colors and sounded
better in comparison to this particular ST.
//B//

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (12/04/90)

  Answer to question about a500 power switch:

  I remember reading that the power switch is on the power supply so that there
would be no more "accidentally hitting the switch with your mouse."

  This must mean that some older models have the witch on the console, or maybe
from the 64/128 machines people hit the switch with their mouse often.

David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions  DDD Men

jac423@leah.albany.edu (Julius Andrew Cisek) (12/05/90)

>My Amiga 1000 had a better range of colors and sounded
>better in comparison to this particular ST.

I used to have an Atari 520ST and my brother  had the 1040ST.  We both
switched to Amigas 2  years ago.  Sound on the  ST was MUCH worse than
the Amiga.  To get the ST to sample  required giant clock  cycles from
the CPU (there is no  dedicated sampler hardware).  I used  to have an
Atari 800 before the ST and the sound on the 8-bit was better than the
ST sound.

The MIDI interface is nice, but has no  THRU which makes it rediculous
for  a professional.  Most people with  a  serious MIDI setup   end up
buying  a serial MIDI  interface   (with multiple outs,  thrus,  etc.)
anyway.

TOS functionality is poor, but  it does LOOK a  lot better than WB (in
my opinion, anyways).   Floppies are much faster  on  the ST  but they
have  two formats:  single and double  sided,   which  makes  software
distribution a major pain (I had two single sided floppies with my 500
and 360K is just not enough, you should have seen me trying to compile
something...)  (actually, I think   they've gone to   DS disks  as the
standard, but I feel bad for the users  who still have SS drives (like
the poor chap I sold my machine to :))

Graphics are good,   but Amiga color  and  blitter make  them pale  in
comparison.

The  only  thing going  for the  ST   is the excellent music  software
support.  This is too bad.  I  wish the ST  would just go away and let
the  music people notice  the  Amiga more.  (I   hope I don't  get any
letters saying how great MIDI software on the Amiga  is.  If you think
so, you haven't seen the stuff on the ST).
--
|    // .______. J.Cisek  CSC MiniSystems  "i don't want the world,   \_o_/ |
|  \X/--|UU UUU| jac423@leah.albany.edu     i just want your half..." \\|   |