[comp.sys.amiga] Adding a 2nd hard drive

culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) (12/04/90)

This may seem like a *very* naive question, but I will ask anyway...

My current setup is a A2000HD, with a 2091 and a 40MB Quantum.
I'm long overdue for a second (and bigger) hard drive.  Here's
my question:  Is there *any* way that I can install a second hard
drive _INSIDE_ the Amiga (hanging off the 2091) ???

For instance, I am considering buying a Quantum 105MB from APS
(Alliance Peripheral Systems), and their current price is $499
for an internal, and $599 for an external (includes a case and a
power supply).  I am (obviously) looking for the cheapest possible
route, given my current system.  Do I _WITHOUT_A_DOUBT_ need to buy
an external drive ???

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
Sean.

 _ /-_
(_)>(_)   sean.  (culhane@vis.toronto.edu)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (12/04/90)

Interesting:

>My current setup is a A2000HD, with a 2091 and a 40MB Quantum.
>I'm long overdue for a second (and bigger) hard drive.  Here's
>my question:  Is there *any* way that I can install a second hard
>drive _INSIDE_ the Amiga (hanging off the 2091) ???
>
>...I am considering buying a Quantum 105MB

I was asking EXACTLY the same question only a few months ago.
What I did was get a non-functional full-length PC board free from
Penn State's computation center that they were throwing out.  I
tore all the components off with a pair of pliers (not pretty, but
MUCH faster than desoldering them all).  Then I cut all the connector
traces on the bottom connector with an X-acto knife so that the
Amiga would not recognize it when it was plugged into a PC slot.
Then it was a simple matter of mounting the 105S on the board by
drilling four holes in it.  Voila!  A do-it-yourself hard-card.
Just run a SCSI cable from the controller to the second drive
and you're set.

I went internal because the reason I bought the 2000 in the first
place was I didn't want peripherals hanging off my computer.  Since
mounting the second hard drive internally, I have taken the 2000
on various trips to the local user's group and various other homes
with no problems at all.  Just make sure the PC card you get is
sturdy and that you use all four mounting screws.

To get a cheap (or free) PC board, check local PC service centers.
Many do not have to return defective boards to manufacturers, and
just trash them.  They may be willing to give you one or sell it
to you for a few bucks.  If you have a choice, obviously choose the
thickest, strongest board you can find.

One last note:  I used some scrap aluminum sheet metal to back up
the mounting of the hard drive.  That way the screws are pulling
against metal, not raw PC board material.  Definitely do this if
the PC board you get is thinner than average.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (12/04/90)

In article <90Dec3.220431est.8272@orasis.vis.toronto.edu> culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) writes:

>My current setup is a A2000HD, with a 2091 and a 40MB Quantum.
>I'm long overdue for a second (and bigger) hard drive.  Here's
>my question:  Is there *any* way that I can install a second hard
>drive _INSIDE_ the Amiga (hanging off the 2091) ???

No reason at all that you can't hang another Quantum off of the 2091.
I'm typing this on a machine that has exactly that. The second drive
is in the "center" floppy bay (it fastens to existing holes in the
chassis) and connected directly to the 2091's SCSI connector. Easy.
You can always stick the thing in the bigger bay underneath, too.

bj

>Sean.

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |

In <90Dec3.220431est.8272@orasis.vis.toronto.edu>, culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) writes:
>This may seem like a *very* naive question, but I will ask anyway...
>
>My current setup is a A2000HD, with a 2091 and a 40MB Quantum.
>I'm long overdue for a second (and bigger) hard drive.  Here's
>my question:  Is there *any* way that I can install a second hard
>drive _INSIDE_ the Amiga (hanging off the 2091) ???

The A2000HD has room for 3 hard drives without going to any kludges.
One can be on the 2091 (3.5"), one can be in the second floppy bay (3.5"), and
one can be in the 5 1/4" bay (5 1/4" or 3.5").

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (12/04/90)

In article <90Dec3.220431est.8272@orasis.vis.toronto.edu> culhane@vis.toronto.edu (Sean Culhane) writes:
-
-This may seem like a *very* naive question, but I will ask anyway...
-
-My current setup is a A2000HD, with a 2091 and a 40MB Quantum.
-I'm long overdue for a second (and bigger) hard drive.  Here's
-my question:  Is there *any* way that I can install a second hard
-drive _INSIDE_ the Amiga (hanging off the 2091) ???
-

I don't have a 2091 - but I assume this would work in the same way
as with A2090, Supra or others...

If You have a drive bay free (3 1/2 or 5 1/4) - just put the extra
hard disk there. Connect the drive to a friendly power supply cable
found inside the case. Connect also to the A2091 using a flat cable
which may or may not (probably not) be included. The A2091 ought to
have the possibility to connect more SCSI drives by daisy-chaining,
so You don't need to drag a cable from the external connector in to
the internal hard disk :-)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (12/05/90)

my drive bays were full...  2 Amiga floppies, a Mac floppy in the
lower bay connected to an internal A-Max cartridge, and a 2091 with
the 40S on the card.

If your drive bays are full, try building the second card.  It's
easy and fun, because this is one of the few times that it's hard
to fry your computer even though you're messing around on the inside!
:-)

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention connecting up the power cable
in my post.  That's easy enough; there are spares hanging off of the
2000's power supply.  5 more seconds of assembly time.  ;-D