[comp.sys.amiga] Help with BITFTP

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) (12/04/90)

I have an Amiga 2000 at home with access to the net and ftp sources
through a VAX system at work.  Unfortunately, we don't have
interactive FTP, only BITFTP.

Rather than go into lengthy discussion of all the various methods I
have tried, without success, to transfer and use data on the Amiga, I shall
ask for suggestions and/or help from those with far more experience than
I have.

A quick summary:  I can "GET" a file through BITFTP, it is sent
UUENCODED.  I can download files from the VAX to the Amiga using
XMODEM (among others).  I have UUDECODE on the Amiga, but it tells
me that it cannot create "foobar.lzh" when asked to decode the
downloaded file as received from ABCFD20.LARC.NASA.GOV, for instance.

Thanks for the soon-to-arrive guidance.

Keith Ellsworth
Editor
PBS

AKA: KELLSWORTH@PBS.ORG

W_TROIA@upr1.upr.cun.edu (Paolo V. Troia) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec3.230804.10903@pbs.org>, <kellsworth@pbs.org> writes:
>Rather than go into lengthy discussion of all the various methods I
>have tried, without success, to transfer and use data on the Amiga, I shall
>ask for suggestions and/or help from those with far more experience than
>I have.
>
>A quick summary:  I can "GET" a file through BITFTP, it is sent
>UUENCODED.  I can download files from the VAX to the Amiga using
>XMODEM (among others).  I have UUDECODE on the Amiga, but it tells
>me that it cannot create "foobar.lzh" when asked to decode the
>downloaded file as received from ABCFD20.LARC.NASA.GOV, for instance.
     I had exactly the same problem when using BITFTP from this VMS site.
It seems the problem lays with the Amiga version of UUENCODE you and I are
using. By comparing some uuencoded files that I could succesfully uudecode
with the ones I got from BITFTP I found one obvious difference: the BITFTP
files had an 'M' added to the end of every line of the file. I decided to
remove all these M's from the end of the lines and presto!, the file was
uudecoded fine.

     I was told that this extra M at the ending of each line is valid
uuencode format, and that some versions of uuencode use it and others
don't. Apparently, the Amiga version does not support this format, as I
chokes on the file claiming there is a checksum error.

     To remove the M's I use MEmacs. I simply create a small macro
to do the job and execute it times the number of lines in the program.

     Hope this helps!

Paolo V. Troia           | Universidad de Puerto Rico        |   // Amiga
w_troia@upr1.upr.clu.edu | Recinto Universitario de Mayaguez | \X/ o nada!