[comp.sys.amiga] A3000UX info in newest BYTE

scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) (11/27/90)

In the 'First Impression' section of the newest BYTE (the one that features
Computer Graphics; probably December '90 but might be November '90) there is
a one-page article on the A3000UX.  (According to the article it is essentially
an A3000/25-100 with 8 meg RAM (I wonder how that is divided into chip/fast
RAM) and SVR4.  There is a choice of the 'standard Amiga color monitor' (I
assume it is the multisync) or the high-resolution monochrome monitor.

The most exciting bit of information is the price: 'approximately $4000'.
According to the posted list of educational price (effective Sept. 1) in this
newsgroup, the A3000/25-100 system (w/5 meg ram, multisync, AmigaVision) has
a list price of $5798 and an educational discount price of $3899.  Now how
can you add 3 meg RAM and SVR4 (and subtract AmigaVision??) to get $4000???

My observation:

BYTE and companies like Commodore, Sun, NeXT, Apple try to co-operate so that
articles on new machines come out at about the same time as the machines'
public debut.  But there is still no sign of a A3000UX public debut.  A
get an A3000UX system for $4999) hinted (in a quote from a Commodore official)
that the A3000UX will be debuted in an EDUCOM(sp) event (which Ethan told me
is around next February).  There seems to be something wrong in the timing
between BYTE and Commodore.

My guess:  The BYTE article is about one of the 'Virginia Tech' machines and
is not 'Commodore-sanctioned'.  The ~$4000 price then is naturally the
educational discount price.  Even then it is a good price when compared to the
$3899 price.  That means Commodore is not going to milk us on SVR4.
(I read that the several third-party UNIX on the IBM-PC costs on the order of
$1000, and I have this mortal fear that SVR4 is going to be similarly
expensive.  Especially since Commodore absolutely positively refused to give
the slightest hint of an approximate cost.  That fear is enough to make me
look at NeXT seriously.  Now my fear is relieved.  But I still don't understand
Commodore's policy.)

On the other hand, maybe Commodore is getting really agressive and the $4000
is really the list price (magazine articles usually give list price only).
Maybe that is Commodore's answer to NeXT.

Steven

In article <1990Nov26.161956.7275@watdragon.waterloo.edu> scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:

>The most exciting bit of information is the price: 'approximately $4000'.
>According to the posted list of educational price (effective Sept. 1) in this
>newsgroup, the A3000/25-100 system (w/5 meg ram, multisync, AmigaVision) has
>a list price of $5798 and an educational discount price of $3899.  Now how
>can you add 3 meg RAM and SVR4 (and subtract AmigaVision??) to get $4000???

	Well, there is one other configuration which is the
current A3000/25-100 bundle (5MB/100MB) with Unix and monitor for
$3,999. That is, obviously, only 100 more than the current A3000
price. It is called the A3000UX-B instead of -D.

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov26.161956.7275@watdragon.waterloo.edu> scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:

>The most exciting bit of information is the price: 'approximately $4000'.

What was announced at COMDEX was that formal launch was still coming soon, but
that we are currently selling "seed/development" systems to Schools and
developers who would understand that the software is still beta (but very
solid).  The price, for schools & developers ONLY (with no announced SRP) is:

A3000UX/D: 9MB memory, 200MB hard drive, UNIX SVr4 (includes windows & open
look) Limited License, Ethernet card, 1950 monitor    $4995

>that the A3000UX will be debuted in an EDUCOM(sp) event (which Ethan told me
>is around next February).

Correct spelling/incorrect timeframe EDUCOM WAS last month, and we showed
UNIX extensively.

An official annoucement on the net???

--

Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380

scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov26.161956.7275@watdragon.waterloo.edu> I wrote:
> [stuff deleted]
>that the A3000UX will be debuted in an EDUCOM(sp) event (which Ethan told me
> [stuff deleted]

Oops, I think it is Uniforum.

Steven

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.204729.11259@watdragon.waterloo.edu> scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:
>In article <1990Nov26.161956.7275@watdragon.waterloo.edu> I wrote:
>> [stuff deleted]
>>that the A3000UX will be debuted in an EDUCOM(sp) event (which Ethan told me
>> [stuff deleted]
>
>Oops, I think it is Uniforum.

Are you certain?  I just read a UniForum flyer for the January
1991 conference/show and Commodore's name was notably absent!
As of September, mind you.

I hope you're right.  I emailed the info to CBM about UniForum,
but I'd be glad if they're way ahead of me.

--
----
Thom Cleland                      "It is easier

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (11/29/90)

In article <14524@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:

> Are you certain?  I just read a UniForum flyer for the January
> 1991 conference/show and Commodore's name was notably absent!
> As of September, mind you.

I don't think they were last year either.  They were part of the Unix
International booth, and UI was listed.  Of course, in the UI flyer
they weren't listed.  Strange, the picture in the flyer had a really
good view of C-A's sub-booth of the UI booth.

Tom
P.S.  Anyone else going to be at Usenix/UniForum his January?  I plan
on going.  Maybe we can arrange to all meet for dinner, etc.
--
tlimonce@drew.edu     Tom Limoncelli      "Flash!  Flash!  I love you!
tlimonce@drew.bitnet  +1 201 408 5389        ...but we only have fourteen

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:

>An official annoucement on the net???

Heavens, I certainly hope so. At a conference, you spend tens of
thousands of dollars, disrupt lots of people's work schedules to man the
booths, and, if you're lucky, you see 1000 bored people a day break
stride passing your booth, and get to spend perhaps five minutes apiece
with them while they dance from foot with eagerness not to miss a single
booth. If you really luck out, you get some trade press reporter to
misinterpret everything you say into some mishmash 60 word "also seen"
note in a magazine.

Here, you get more than 50,000 avidly interested readers, who can ask
you questions about your announcement and discuss it and build up
enthusiasm among themselves for weeks, for the cost of typing in a
couple hundred word flyer.

Looks more cost effective to me.

Kent, the man from xanth.
Yes, I speak from experience as both a conference organizer (NCGA #1) and
vendor booth-person (Vector Automation).

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (11/29/90)

In article <Nov.28.16.37.29.1990.3114@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
>In article <14524@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>
>> Are you certain?  I just read a UniForum flyer for the January
>> 1991 conference/show and Commodore's name was notably absent

>Tom
>P.S.  Anyone else going to be at Usenix/UniForum his January?  I plan
>on going.  Maybe we can arrange to all meet for dinner, etc.

I'll be there.....with ALOT of my friends...

--

hwr@pilhuhn.uucp (Heiko W.Rupp) (11/30/90)

In article <16099@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing writes:

>In article <1990Nov26.161956.7275@watdragon.waterloo.edu> scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:
>

>>The most exciting bit of information is the price: 'approximately $4000'.
>
>solid).  The price, for schools & developers ONLY (with no announced SRP) is:
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Also for students here in Germany ??

>A3000UX/D: 9MB memory, 200MB hard drive, UNIX SVr4 (includes windows & open
>look) Limited License, Ethernet card, 1950 monitor    $4995

What would be the price with A2024 monitor ?

-Heiko W.Rupp

--
 O|O  Heiko W.Rupp             hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org
  |   Gerwigstr.5            | There is someone in my head, but it't not me
  U   FRG-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |                       - Pink Floyd
      Voice : + 49 721 693642| Do You know where Your towel is ???

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov26.161956.7275@watdragon.waterloo.edu> scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:
>a one-page article on the A3000UX.  (According to the article it is essentially
>an A3000/25-100 with 8 meg RAM (I wonder how that is divided into chip/fast
>RAM) and SVR4.  There is a choice of the 'standard Amiga color monitor' (I
>assume it is the multisync) or the high-resolution monochrome monitor.

From what I have heard (reported below) it's a 200 meg HD.  The "8 meg" is
probably fast RAM with 1 meg chip, I would think.

>The most exciting bit of information is the price: 'approximately $4000'.
>According to the posted list of educational price (effective Sept. 1) in this
>newsgroup, the A3000/25-100 system (w/5 meg ram, multisync, AmigaVision) has
>a list price of $5798 and an educational discount price of $3899.  Now how
>can you add 3 meg RAM and SVR4 (and subtract AmigaVision??) to get $4000???

Well, this is likely to be the price without monitor.  I am working at a
government office at the moment and they have a $12,000 souped-up 2000 system
I've been helping them with (they've received approval on a 3000 or 3000UX
too!), and while talking to one of the people in that department, he told
me that a Commodore rep said the 3000UX will be available in January on the
GSA catalog at about $4000.  Since there will be several routes to go re:
the monitor, it'll probably be separate.

>that the A3000UX will be debuted in an EDUCOM(sp) event (which Ethan told me
>is around next February).  There seems to be something wrong in the timing
>between BYTE and Commodore.

The 3000UX would probably have been released by now if AT&T would pronounce
SVR4 ready (not the Amiga version specifically, just ANY SVR4).  So it's not
entirely up to Commodore.  It could well be released earlier, and just shown
at Educom as the first trade show after the release.  It's already been shown
elsewhere.

>$3899 price.  That means Commodore is not going to milk us on SVR4.
>(I read that the several third-party UNIX on the IBM-PC costs on the order of
>$1000, and I have this mortal fear that SVR4 is going to be similarly

I'm told A/UX on the Apple (a port of an obsolete Unix) is closer to $2500.

>Maybe that is Commodore's answer to NeXT.

I prefer to think of NeXT as Jobs' answer to the Amiga...

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

(BTW, we have a news blockage here so if you have anything important to say
to me, send mail to make sure I get it)
--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/02/90)

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) writes:

>In article <1990Nov26.161956.7275@watdragon.waterloo.edu> scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:
>>$3899 price.  That means Commodore is not going to milk us on SVR4.
>>(I read that the several third-party UNIX on the IBM-PC costs on the order of
>>$1000, and I have this mortal fear that SVR4 is going to be similarly

>I'm told A/UX on the Apple (a port of an obsolete Unix) is closer to $2500.

  Whoever told you told you wrong...  As I look up my catalog here, it says
A/UX 2.0 on CD-ROM : $750 RRP [of course it's down below $500 for educational
purchasers].  Buying it on floppy or tape adds another $250.  It will
be interesting to see what Commodore prices their version at...

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"She's got a tongue like an electric eel, and she likes the taste of a
 man's tonsils!"  - Rik Flashheart

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (12/05/90)

In article <1849611b.ARN0ea5@pilhuhn.uucp> hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org writes:

>In article <16099@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing writes:
>
>>In article <1990Nov26.161956.7275@watdragon.waterloo.edu> scfsiu@watsol.waterloo.edu (Steven C. F. Siu) writes:
>>

>>>The most exciting bit of information is the price: 'approximately $4000'.
>>
>>solid).  The price, for schools & developers ONLY (with no announced SRP) is:
>Also for students here in Germany ??

The pricing I released is for the US.  Its also, as I previously said, for seed
units only, so students are NOT yet eligible.  (Obviously they will be after
formal anouncement)

>What would be the price with A2024 monitor ?

A2024 monitors are not currently available, so they are not a part of this
offer.