[comp.sys.amiga] The AMAX Story?

ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill) (12/04/90)

   OK, here's a chance to save a potential MAC buyer from making the
biggest mistake of his computer life. A friend of mine's dad came up to
me the other day, knowing that I am an avid computer user. He said his
work has a MAC IIfx (Yuck!) and that he was considering purchasing a MAC
for home, but wanted my advice on what to buy. I instantly tried to sell
him on the Amiga, and soon ran off at the mouth about how AMAX allows
you to run MAC software at a fraction of the cost of buying a MAC system.
While I do know the hardware specs of the MAC line like any true Amiga
competition freak, I'm drawing a blank when it comes to the software aspect
of the new MACs. Am I correct in saying that the II line runs all MAC
software, but that the other MACs don't run all II software? In other words,
this thing is backward compatible with the older MACs, right? My reason
behind asking this is that he isn't looking to do anything that the II is
"famous" for (24 bit graphics, etc.). His main intent is doing Desk Top
Publishing, some database management, word processing, and maybe a little
drawing. Will the AMAX run most software ran on a IIfx used mainly for
these purposes? Lastly, I need to hear some good and bad points about the
AMAX from people who use the thing in real life. All of this information
will be buffered and printed for him to read and make his own conclusion.

 By the way, I already have enough knowledge of the IBM emulators out to
sell him on that point. No problem there, but the software issue on the
MACs is what I'm fuzzy about.

   Tom

                      |  Amiga...The computer for _ |
                      | the creative mind!    _  // |
                      |.......................\\//..|

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (12/06/90)

In article <9012040127.AA21306@cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu> ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:
>of the new MACs. Am I correct in saying that the II line runs all MAC
>software, but that the other MACs don't run all II software? In other words,
>this thing is backward compatible with the older MACs, right? My reason

	Right, the older Macs can't run any software which talks to
	Mac II video cards directly, or is specific to the Mac II, but
	the Mac II can run (almos) all the older software (unless it
	misbehaves in an extreme way).

>"famous" for (24 bit graphics, etc.). His main intent is doing Desk Top
>Publishing, some database management, word processing, and maybe a little
>drawing. Will the AMAX run most software ran on a IIfx used mainly for
>these purposes?

	There was a compatability (sp?) list posted recently (within a
	week) for AMAX II, so you could probably find that info there.

>   Tom

-Cary
--
| Cary Farrier                          | Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |