[comp.sys.amiga] modem null string

dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (12/02/90)

  Hi...I need a null character to be sent over the modem without doing any
damage :) other than the return key. Can I safely use a zero? Just so that
the modem knows it is still connected...thanks a meg.

David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions  DDD Men

In <1990Dec2.092244.28513@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>  Hi...I need a null character to be sent over the modem without doing any
>damage :) other than the return key. Can I safely use a zero? Just so that
>the modem knows it is still connected...thanks a meg.

What character you can safely send depends entirely on what the other end is
looking for. If a <RETURN> is innocuous, it will do fine. If a zero is
innocuous, it will do too. One possibility is to send a character followed by a
backspace, if appropriate on the other end, and if it does what you expect.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec2.092244.28513@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>  Hi...I need a null character to be sent over the modem without doing any
>damage :) other than the return key. Can I safely use a zero? Just so that
>the modem knows it is still connected...thanks a meg.

Ummm...  WHY do you want to do this?  So the modem knows it's connected
to WHAT?  And why would it think it's NOT connected?  It's got a constant
carrier to another modem, and it's got the DTR line back to your computer.
What are you trying to accomplish here?

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in  |        Steven King

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (12/06/90)

  I want to use a modem null string so that the UNIX never thinks that I am
IDLE. I hate being kicked off BBS's because I have to call through the UNIX.

  Someone did suggest using a character and then a delete, which is a very
good idea, but then two problems arise. First, at some prompts as soon as
a character is typed it reacts to it (sometimes called HOTKEYS). Second,
since I plan to use it with any terminal program, it has to be compatible.
JR Comm uses the backspace and DEL keys deifferently in different UNIX
programs. Handshake is the exact opposite of JR Comm. For example, I use
the DEL in JR Comm to type this message but would have to use backspace in
Handshake. In my email, I have to use backspace with JR Comm and DEL with
Handshake. If I used the DEL or backspace as a null, it would have to be
configured to each terminal when I am using UNIX.

  Hint: I don't know if the author of JRComm will read this, but I do know
that the author of Handshake is on this system...I would like to suggest
you offer an option to keep the terminal from being kicked off due to IDLE
on the UNIX. I think it would also be nice if Handshake made room for more
function keys than the 6 in version 2.12. Eric, if you email me, I'd like
to suggest another UNIX option that would be very easy to program, but it is
too valuable for me to mention here. :)

David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions  DDD Men