[comp.sys.amiga] Memory usage of ADDBUFFERS

Andreas.Ruecker@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Andreas Ruecker) (12/04/90)

Hello Amiga-World!

Last week I got new fastram for my A500 (now with 1.5 MB).

So I decided to put addbuffers for faster access to my floppys. After I put
it in my startup-sequence (at first their is FASTMEMFIRST), restarted
the system I looked with MEM and all of the new addbuffers was taken from
the CHIP-Memory.

Is their anyone who know why, and what to do for took it in the FAST-Memory?

Thanx in advance
--
After the Bodensee 1990 Contest I'm now on training... See you in Almere 1991.

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (12/06/90)

Disk buffers MUST be in CHIP memory as the trackdisk.device
uses some fancy Blitter operations to do the MFM encoding.
There are some other reasons, which escape me at the moment.

Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (12/06/90)

>Item: 14044 by [Andreas Ruecker]
>  Subj: Memory usage of ADDBUFFERS
>  Keyw: Memory,Addbuffers
>  Date: Wed Dec 05 1990 20:21
>  Lines:14
>3946@uniol.UUCP
>
>Hello Amiga-World!
>
>Last week I got new fastram for my A500 (now with 1.5 MB).
>
>So I decided to put addbuffers for faster access to my floppys. After I put
>it in my startup-sequence (at first their is FASTMEMFIRST), restarted
>the system I looked with MEM and all of the new addbuffers was taken from
>the CHIP-Memory.
>
>Is their anyone who know why, and what to do for took it in the FAST-Memory?

Some programs just do that.  Run FastMemFirst right after SetPatch, but
before anything else in your startup-sequence.  You won't have that problem
anymore.
 *          All of the above copyright by the below.            *
 *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *
 *    "A language is a dialect with an army and a navy."        *