[comp.sys.amiga] Cad?? -- Sofware needed!!!

sl195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) (12/06/90)

In article <2657@kirk.nmg.bu.oz>, cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson) writes:
> From article <4613@disk.UUCP>, by specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey):
>> I am currently attempting to convince a friend with ample fund that he needs
>> to purchase an amiga 2000 or 3000. (he already has a 25 mghtz 386 ibm and a
>> huge plotter...plos on big cardboard things). He uses his IBM for autocad.
> [........]
>> .......... Anybody out there use amiga for cad?
>>
>> Byron Guernsey
>
> Well Bryon, I am going to stick my neck out a little here.....
>
> I don't believe there is a CAD package for the Amiga that comes near AutoCAD
> (and I don't even LIKE AutoCAD). I have used a number of packages on a number
> of hardware platforms, and run a business consulting in CAD systems. I would
> dearly love to see two more application areas addressed on the Amiga, namely
> RDBMS, and CAD. Alas these areas are the ones that seem to take the most
> number of man-years to develop (hence, I guess the reluctance to develop them)
>
> To be fair to software devlopers, there are a few lingering problems with the
> Amiga that need to resolved before it would make a successful platform for
> these applications. As is continuously debated in this newsgroup, better
> screen display/resolution is needed. The acceptable minimum nowadays is about
> 1000x800x32 on a 15" screen. Obviously (as with most things in life) the more
> the better....
>
> The other problem is that the hardware/OS is not considered stable enough for
> these serious type applications. This is not to say that it is flakey, just
> people I have spoken to don't THINK it is stable enough.
>
> I have looked at some of the CAD packages that are considered good on the
> Amiga, and the overriding impression I get is that they are up to the standard
> of PC based CAD packages of 3-5 years ago. They are certainly usable, but the
> current crop of PC based packages offer so much more.
>
> Now I throw down the
> gauntlet and challenge someone to develop a REALLY good CAD package for the
> Amiga. The hardware is certainly fast enough, the OS is stable enough, and
> the display issues will be resolved. Come on guys, how good are you? Here
> are some of the features that should be included:

[good features listed]

> I recently posted a request for information about whether a development system
> was avaliable that might be a good springboard for such a system, and have
> got minimal response. I think there is a glaring void in available Amiga
> applications in the CAD and RDBMS areas, and potentially an eager ready market.
> Come on, how about doing something about it?? Any thoughts?
>
> Cameron Stephenson                         ph +61 75 951220
> Bond University
> Gold Coast    Australia

This is one area where I'd like to see improvement.  My father is an
architect, and uses CAD constantly.  His impression of the Amiga is that
it's a kiddie toy mainly because there is little to no sofware in reguards
to CAD, as well as word processors, spreadsheets (from what I've seen of
MaxiPlan, it's nice, but slow and buggy) databases, etc. etc. etc. etc.
You know, all of that "boring" software.

I'd love to see Microsoft Word 4.0 (m*c version) out for the Amiga. Wanna
know why I'm thinking about getting AMax II and something like ATOnce????

--

All comments are my own, and many must be taken with a :-)