[comp.sys.amiga] INTERNET

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (09/06/90)

No, mail seems to go through quite well, and comp.sys.amiga comes through
there alright.  I guess the two questions are:  Do you have a reliable
anonymous FTP address that you use (we're fairly close, Alberta/Sask, so
what works for you just might work for you)?  Could you tell me what it
is?  Second, what is the address for posting directly to comp.sys.amiga,
is it something like Comp.Sys.Amiga@Berkley.EDU ?  I lost it a while ago
and can't remember what it is.

Thanks,
Dave

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
|Second, what is the address for posting directly to comp.sys.amiga,
|is it something like Comp.Sys.Amiga@Berkley.EDU ?  I lost it a while ago
|and can't remember what it is.

Hey, it looks like you found it :-)

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

mlyons@pro-truckstop.cts.com (Handles, SysOp) (10/20/90)

Attention all InterNet users; Sour Grapes.

** FLAME ON **

I'm a ProLine SysOp which can interface with UNIX computers and have
asked our local University, (USF) University of South Florida, to allow
me to pull some feeds from them.  At first I was told that I could,
then they put in a new computer, and a change of staff.  With that I
was told in a harsh way, NO!.

Why?  I was told its a conflict of interest,  What?  How?  These schools
of so called higher learning think that a lowly Apple IIGS can't possibly
use any feeds?  or receive them from their computer?  I only wanted Apple
II, Macintosh and a few UNIX feeds. (BTW: My system is totally free,
except for donations).

I was told that other systems get the feeds because they donate moneys
and equipment to this university, so we give them access to the feeds. I
was told there so called super computer can't be bothered with feeds to
a small system for free. I thought the internet was free.

I also know that it cost them money to use there computer and that they
give the feeds to other systems, so what is the difference?  So what if
other small local systems would like to recieve the feeds too.  A couple
of small system could like a IBM, Amaga etc, sysops could use the local
feeds too. Just one system per computer type or say 5 local systems could
call and distribute them to the other sites that want them locally.

So as a show of support for my cause, call USF TECH support, voice 813/974
-3307 or fax 813/974-3149  or thu this group, E-mail malek@sol.usf.edu .

** FLAME OFF **

Bitter; Any Comments?

America OnLine : Handles           | Remember Viet Nam? Remember our MIAs!
INET: mlyons@pro-truckstop.cts.com | Apple's don't die, they have seeds...
ProLine: I love this software.     | Many a blunt word has a sharp edge...

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (10/22/90)

In article <5162@crash.cts.com> mlyons@pro-truckstop.cts.com (Handles, SysOp) writes:

>Attention all InterNet users; Sour Grapes.

  [bitter comments about being denied a news feed deleted]

>I was told that other systems get the feeds because they donate moneys
>and equipment to this university, so we give them access to the feeds. I
>was told there so called super computer can't be bothered with feeds to
>a small system for free. I thought the internet was free.

Internet is not free. It costs thousands of dollars per year. Less for
academic institutions than commercial organizations, but still thousands
(I believe the last figure was >$50,000 per year for a commercial org.).

I believe you are confusing Internet (which is a NSF funded high-speed
digital network) with usenet (a loose, informal network of computers,
where each node feeds other nodes on an informal basis, often by phone
lines).

Because of the convenience, Internet now carries much of the usenet
traffic. But even in the case of local phone feeds, the connection
costs time, money, and resources. Providing a news feed at 2400 baud
requires an account, account maintenance, and ties up a phone line
for quite some time. It doesn't take many such feeds to completely
monopolize a dial-up line. The university has to pay the phone company
for these lines, and while they are tied up giving feeds they can't be
used for legitimate business.

There is a growing trend to only provide feeds to sites that can support
9600 or 19.2K modems.

There is no requirement for a site to provide arbitrary feeds. The protocol
is to contact sites downstream from them until you can find one that can
support another feed.

>So as a show of support for my cause, call USF TECH support, ..........

Please don't.

>Bitter; Any Comments?

yeah...quitcherbitchin.

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

john.hall@f805.n680.fido.oz.au (John Hall) (11/17/90)

Original to: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu
Frank a simple question How do you send mail on the internet system to a
someone on fiddo net ?????
--- TBBS v2.1/NM
 * Origin: ADAM, 2,100 MEGS R/W 32 line TBBS call us 08-370-5775 (680/805)

colin@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Colin Panisset I) (12/06/90)

john.hall@f805.n680.fido.oz.au (John Hall) writes:

>Original to: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu
>Frank a simple question How do you send mail on the internet system to a
>someone on fiddo net ?????
>--- TBBS v2.1/NM
> * Origin: ADAM, 2,100 MEGS R/W 32 line TBBS call us 08-370-5775 (680/805)

  Ah, that's easy. Assuming, of course, that you want to send something
from Internet to fidonet.
  Just send to <person>@f<point-number>.n<node-number>.z<zone-number>.fido.org, where <person> is the full name of the intended reciever (as he/she/it would
log onto the intended BBS - yours is john.hall).
  The rest is from the familiar <zone-number>:<node-number>/<point-number>
code, so your Fido address is 3:680/805.

  Simplicity itself!
--
  --==**@@##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~##@@**==--
  colin@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au !  If I had to do it all over again, I'd

ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de (ps-Gruppe) (12/06/90)

In article <18764@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au> john.hall@f805.n680.fido.oz.au (John Hall) writes:
>Frank a simple question How do you send mail on the internet system to a
>someone on fiddo net ?????
I just received information about this, but I have not tried it yet.
There was a article in comp.mail.misc (it was number 1116, but I'm not
sure whether this number is unique for all news-servers) which describes
the connection between uucp and fidonet. It should also work well on internet.
In fidonet the adress has 4 parts: Zone:Net/FidoNode.Point (for example
1:105/302.0). A mail to this Node can be send to
user@p0.f302.n105.z1.fidonet.org (note: this address is vice versa).
If this does not work, you can add a routing command, for example
user%p0.f302.n105.z1.fidonet.org@busker.fidonet.org , where busker.fidonet.org
is the UFGATE for net 105.

Thomas Stuempfig

Thomas Stuempfig             |  stuempfig@physik.uni-stuttgart.de