[comp.sys.amiga] Gif to IFF Converter??

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (12/05/90)

Does anybody out there know of a *small*  program  that  converts
GIFs  to  IFF  files?   My  iff veiwer is much better than my GIF
viewer.

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga         /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (Commodore is starting///  *
*                              *    to know that)  \\\///   *
*                              * and it's about time\XX/    *

QUIT

In <9012050516.AA11482@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca>, tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
>Does anybody out there know of a *small*  program  that  converts
>GIFs  to  IFF  files?   My  iff veiwer is much better than my GIF
>viewer.

snap                       32140 ----rwed 08-Feb-90 10:55:28

Show the GIF, snap in graphics mode, save, done. Works fine for me, on
everything I've tried it on, including HAM.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

mhenders@hydra.unm.edu (Stinger) (12/06/90)

	The program that works best for me is called 'hamsharp'. It will
convert GIF's up to 640x480x256 into IFF HAM files which can be viewed
with any ham pic viewer. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and
I will put it up at abcfd20 ftp. The program takes a while to run
but will generally produce a great HAM image that is smaller (in bytes)
than the original gif file.

--
  .----                           <<      Amiga Weirdo      >>      ///|
   \  __/_ ' .--.  .--. .-.  .--. <<       Demo Freak       >>     ///||

milano@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Milano) (12/06/90)

In article <9012050516.AA11482@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
>Does anybody out there know of a *small*  program  that  converts
>GIFs  to  IFF  files?   My  iff veiwer is much better than my GIF
>viewer.

I use a small public domain program called GIF2IFF that can be gotten
via anonymous ftp from most amiga sites. It consists of two small utilities,
GIF2TMP and TMP2IFF, that perform the conversion. It even handles HAM
modes. I often generate fractal images on my VGA/MS-DOS system (faster)
in MCGA mode, save it as a GIF file, send it to my A500 via a null modem,
then convert the image to a hires HAM IFF file. Let me know if you need
a list of ftp sites as I will be glad to provide one. - Joel