[comp.sys.amiga] Roland D-10 and Music-X on Amiga

s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) (11/30/90)

Has anyone made or is there available a soundtransferprotocol for
Music-X (on amiga) and Roland D-10 ?
I tried to make my own, but I didn't succeed at all...
(I'm not very familiar with SYSEX-commands)

OR are there available a sound-editor/librarian for amiga and D-10 ?
(If there is one where can I find it ?)

P.S. What is the BEST (in your opinion) sequencer for Amiga ?

  * Janne Salmij{rvi * s117986@cc.tut.fi *

mcdonley@dinl.uucp (alan mcdonley) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.110144.22714@assari.tut.fi> s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) writes:

>Has anyone made or is there available a soundtransferprotocol for
>Music-X (on amiga) and Roland D-10 ?

I havenot been looking specifically for D-10 ( I have an M1).  In the
midilib2 package there is an amiga basic librarian for casio CZ synths,
and just the other day I was looking at a C voice editor for the DS55
Yamaha synth called VcEd by Charles Brand.  He is willing to send source
for a shareware contribution of $10.

I have hade success in transfering SysX voice data using the MIDISTUFF
MIDIdump program.  This will handle your SysX voice data but you must
manage what is in the SysX (in the M1 that is usually all voices at
once.  But I haven't played with my new M1 enough yet)

>P.S. What is the BEST (in your opinion) sequencer for Amiga ?

I asked for Tiger Cub for Xmas since it is cheap.  One person I called
at
a computer store told me to stay away from the more expensive Dr. T
stufff, but I don't trust that advice.  MidiQuest looks like the best
editor/librarian, and I had pretty much decided that Dr. T's KCS and
Copyist were the best for me.  But I have not invested any money.

Alan McDonley,        Martin Marietta Information and Communication Systems
(303) 977-3347        mcdonley@inlatlas.den.mmc.com
P.O.Box 1260          ncar!dinl!mcdonley
Denver,CO 80201-1260  Opinions are my own, not my employer's.

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov30.110144.22714@assari.tut.fi> s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) writes:

>Has anyone made or is there available a soundtransferprotocol for
>Music-X (on amiga) and Roland D-10 ?
>I tried to make my own, but I didn't succeed at all...
>(I'm not very familiar with SYSEX-commands)
>
>OR are there available a sound-editor/librarian for amiga and D-10 ?
>(If there is one where can I find it ?)
>
>P.S. What is the BEST (in your opinion) sequencer for Amiga ?

Yup, I made a protocol for the Roland GR-50 guitar synth, which is basically
a guitar synth wrapped around a D-110. Contact MicroIllusions and ask about
their forthcoming "Procotols Only" disk.

Best Sequencer? Music-X v.1.1, just released. Without a doubt.

| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

Frank.Neumann@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank Neumann) (12/05/90)

Hi to you AmigaMidinoids, :-)

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:
>In article <1990Nov30.110144.22714@assari.tut.fi> s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) writes:

[...]
>>P.S. What is the BEST (in your opinion) sequencer for Amiga ?
[...]

>Best Sequencer? Music-X v.1.1, just released. Without a doubt.

Hmmmm... I've seen Steinberg's Pro24 on an Amiga fair here in Germany
some weeks ago, and it looked VERY GOOD...although they decided to use
a dongle with it.
But one more thing about Music-X : In my version it's not possible to
set notes with a duration >1 measure ... is this corrected in V1.1 ??
(This was particularly bad when I tried to adapt some slow Phil Collins
stuff; in his songs he often uses LONG bass notes, which sounds quite
bad if you have to start over the bass every measure...:(

Enlighten me,
Frank
--
+ Frank Neumann, Hauptstr. 107, 2900 Oldenburg, FRG   The Amiga is it.  +
+ Frank.Neumann@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de InHouse: amigo@faramir +

snowdond@r2.cs.man.ac.uk (D.N.Snowdon (MSc PJ)) (12/06/90)

In article <1837@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:
>In article <1990Nov30.110144.22714@assari.tut.fi> s117986@lehtori.tut.fi (Salmij{rvi Janne) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone made or is there available a soundtransferprotocol for
>>Music-X (on amiga) and Roland D-10 ?
  [ lines deleted ]

>Yup, I made a protocol for the Roland GR-50 guitar synth, which is basically
>a guitar synth wrapped around a D-110. Contact MicroIllusions and ask about
>their forthcoming "Procotols Only" disk.
>
>Best Sequencer? Music-X v.1.1, just released. Without a doubt.

  Alternatively, there is a program called 4D Companion
available from a British software house which is a patch
editor & librarian for the Roland D series of synths (D5, D10,
D20, D110). It didn't multitask properly with a friends
copy of Music X when I tried it, but I've since heard that
Music X is being updated to correct a bug in their MIDI
code which affected applications which tried to use the
serial port while Music X was suspended.
  I haven't used a GR50 (though I wouldn't mind getting one)
but I have heard that some of the parameters differ from
the D range of synths.
  The company is called Gajits (phone [UK] 061 434 2768) I can    38  find their address if anyone wants it. They also do a
similar program for the CM range of modules. They don't have
a US distributor at the moment so you would have to get it
directly from them (they do direct mail order).

PS I should mention that I am heavily biased as I wrote the
Amiga versions of these programs.

     Dave Snowdon (snowdond@uk.ac.man.cs.r2)
These days you have to be pretty technical before you can
aspire to being crude. (Johnny Mnemonic, William Gibson)