[comp.sys.amiga] The Word of Byte...

91_bickingd@GAR.UNION.EDU ("Bicking, David") (12/03/90)

Date sent:  3-DEC-1990 11:04:28

>This is NOT meant as a poke at John, it's just that his posting reminds me
>of what I've seen too often:
>
>When BYTE magazine either ignores or comments only "en passant" re: the Amiga,
>BYTE is perceived by the Amiga community as being lower than whale turds.
>
>When BYTE magazine publishes a noteworthy comment re: the Amiga, BYTE suddenly
>becomes "THE WORD, THE TRUTH, THE GUIDING LIGHT TO ALL KNOWLEDGE."
>
>You figure.   :-)

	I never thought of it that way.  I always think of it this way:  When
Byte magazine actually takes notice of something from C=, it's GOTTA be
increadible - after all, they have ignored the toaster so far, Multitasking was
a "toy", and Multimedia wasn't ever going to be important, according to Byte (
until other vendors touted these things).  Hence, it must be INCREADIBLE for
them to take notice of it over other platforms :)

:P

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-
Dave Bicking         	       Single Tasking????? Just say NO!!!!

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/05/90)

Take that Byte article with a very large grain of salt.  It was written
with some very misleading information.  The $4000 pricing, by all indications
is educational pricing, not list.  The standard machine comes with 4 MB,
not 8.  The Moniterm monitor displayed in the illustration is not the
monitor that comes standard with the Amiga.  The standard display is not
nearly as nice.  The author of the article compared the yet-to-be officially
release Amiga 3000ux with the out-of-production NeXT 1.0 computers.
There should be a whole slew of retractions in upcoming issues of Byte.
Enjoy the glow while you can.

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (12/06/90)

In article <21967@well.sf.ca.us>, yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes...
^Take that Byte article with a very large grain of salt.  It was written
^with some very misleading information.  The $4000 pricing, by all indications
^is educational pricing, not list.  The standard machine comes with 4 MB,
^not 8.  The Moniterm monitor displayed in the illustration is not the
^monitor that comes standard with the Amiga.  The standard display is not
^nearly as nice.  The author of the article compared the yet-to-be officially
^release Amiga 3000ux with the out-of-production NeXT 1.0 computers.
^There should be a whole slew of retractions in upcoming issues of Byte.
^Enjoy the glow while you can.

I really dislike being rude but people who insist on pissing contests only
prove who is the bigger dick.  The thread originally held interesting cost vs
power comparisons between the two platforms but now is some nerdy macho thing.

Please take the NeXT discussion and any followup flames to comp.sys.next, the
computer religion newsgroup or better yet: nowhere.

NT

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (12/07/90)

While the Byte article may have quoted the educational price on a 4MB machine,
not 8MB, and displayed a Moniterm moniter sitting atop the A3000, the display
IS just as nice on the standard display options.

A3000UX purchasers can choose either a color system or high resolution
greyscale system.  The greyscale system uses the A2024 moniter, which delivers
the same resolution as the Viking I.  I would hope so at least, considering
the Viking I uses the same display driver :')

The only difference would be screen size...the A2024 isn't as large (14 or
15").  However, the same resolution on a smaller screen will seem even
sharper than the Moniterm display!

And if Byte were to print retractions for every mistake they've made, they'd
need to publish another magazine.  They've goofed on SOMETHING in just about
every Amiga-related article, and several others.  I still enjoy reading their
mag though, considering Amiga-specific mags tend to make even more errors.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |